• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scunthorpe bay platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanP

I saw an old photo of Scunthorpe station (in the excellent 'Railways in North Lincolnshire' p.7 if anyone has it). It shows some sort of west-facing bay platform. Does anyone know when this was closed?

It seems strange that we now have the terminating Northern stopper having to travel east and reverse into the sidings, only to come back out, reverse, and re-enter the station for the next service!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
It was indeed a siding - and it must have been a short one at that - accessed only by a trailing connection off the Down Main. Although the local unit usually has to shunt to clear the running line, there's no requirement to do so if there's nothing else to pass, as it can start back straight from the Up platform.

David Barrett

The West Bay, sometimes referred to as the Fish Dock, was lifted and filled in sometime in the 1990s. Its former use during my youth was the stabling of vans detached from the Manchester-Cleethorpes newspaper train prior to their return in the evening although the Gunhouse Banking Engine had been kept there during shift changes at times in its later years. The bay was eventually filled in to permit the extension of the car park.

Attachments

• 1-9 DOW Class 101 DMU Leaving Scunthorpe 1990..jpg
    1-9 DOW Class 101 DMU Leaving Scunthorpe 1990..jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

DanP

Thanks all. It's great what you can learn on here. David - thanks for posting that photo. I quite like old colour scheme on the footbridge!

David Barrett

Thanks all. It's great what you can learn on here. David - thanks for posting that photo. I quite like old colour scheme on the footbridge!

The paint scheme used to seem strange at first to a point, as if London was to the east rather than south. I don't know whether you are aware but some years ago Irwell Press published "An Illustrated History of Scunthorpe's Railways" which may now be out of print but worth looking out for if you are interested in the area. You will also find a photograph within whose main subject is the original concrete footbridge but also shows the West Bay in use.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Scunthorpe has had somewhat a changeable site situation for its railway station with the current one being the third main one that was opened as late as 11th March 1928. The bay platform would have been constructed to handle traffic running at that period of time.

The original station known as Frodingham was opened in 1864 about half a mile away from the site of the current station and this was then replaced in turn in 1887 by the second station known as Scunthorpe and Frodingham 200 yards away from the first station.

David Barrett

Scunthorpe has had somewhat a changeable site situation for its railway station with the current one being the third main one that was opened as late as 11th March 1928. The bay platform would have been constructed to handle traffic running at that period of time.

The original station known as Frodingham was opened in 1864 about half a mile away from the site of the current station and this was then replaced in turn in 1887 by the second station known as Scunthorpe and Frodingham 200 yards away from the first station.

This is quite correct although the main building of the second station survived in use as offices and the guard's signing on point until shortly before demolition in 1971 (despite the earlier removal of the platforms and up side building to accommodate reallignments and what became known as the Western Curve) for the construction of the power box, S&T workshop and area manager's office building.

Within the area bounded by the triangle of lines formed after the construction of the Western Curve was a fourth passenger station (actually the third in order of building) known as Scunthorpe as opposed to Frodingham & Scunthorpe or vice versa and was in use as such between 1906 and 1925 for train services to Winterton & Thealby, extended to Winteringham in 1907 and ultimately to Whitton in 1910. The building still stands but in a derelict state adjacent to the LNER built goods offices although, as I recall from my days as an apprentice at Frodingham during the mid 1970s, was by then being used as offices and mess room for the permanent way staff but I would be open to correction about this last point as to specific use.

For all of this the railway at Scunthorpe, having seen significant development during the second half of the 1920s and into the 1930s, was perhaps something of a rarity: an almost complete LNER scheme replacing much of the inherited pre-grouping infrastructure.

Last edited:

DanP

The paint scheme used to seem strange at first to a point, as if London was to the east rather than south. I don't know whether you are aware but some years ago Irwell Press published "An Illustrated History of Scunthorpe's Railways" which may now be out of print but worth looking out for if you are interested in the area. You will also find a photograph within whose main subject is the original concrete footbridge but also shows the West Bay in use.

I've managed to find a second-hand copy online so look forward to reading it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.