• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SDO questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
There's very little non-automated selective door opening on the network nowadays but for a while it wasn't uncommon for the guard to have to manually select the correct doors to release.

I found this old training video which was uploaded to YouTube, from when SWT switched their Desiros over to ASDO and it briefly mentions the old process, but doesn't go into any detail.

As I understand it, under ASDO the guard only has to press the door release button at any door which is on the platform and the system will handle it - but I'm interested to know, what was the procedure, on these units and others, while SDO was still manual.

Also is it possible with current automated systems or with the manual system for doors to be released other than counting from the front? E.g. could the rear 2 coaches be released for example, or just the 4th coach of an 8 coach train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
There's very little non-automated selective door opening on the network nowadays but for a while it wasn't uncommon for the guard to have to manually select the correct doors to release.

I found this old training video which was uploaded to YouTube, from when SWT switched their Desiros over to ASDO and it briefly mentions the old process, but doesn't go into any detail.

As I understand it, under ASDO the guard only has to press the door release button at any door which is on the platform and the system will handle it - but I'm interested to know, what was the procedure, on these units and others, while SDO was still manual.

Also is it possible with current automated systems or with the manual system for doors to be released other than counting from the front? E.g. could the rear 2 coaches be released for example, or just the 4th coach of an 8 coach train?
The 450s didn't have full SDO before ASDO, it was what was known as "unit de-select" so that only multiples of four could be released i.e. the guard could only release (or not) a full set.

As for the manual systems, the HST SDO on CDL fitted stock was able to handle forward or back parts of the train as the control panel had doors forward and doors behind release options - obviously the guard had to be at the correct point in the train to do this. Can anyone confirm it is the same for the sliding door fitted HST stock?

the sniper

Established Member

Manual UDS is still in place on all WMT 350s. Probably used more now than ever (on the old Central Trains area, at least) due to more double sets going North during Covid times. Can only be operated from a switch in the leading cab of the rear set. On a 350/2, /3 or /4 it lights up green when set. On a 350/1, it's a solid green colour switch, it doesn't light up, so the only way the Guard can assume it'll work is by having to listen for the 'please move forwards' auto announcement to play over the PA/Handset. Very safety critical friendly...

Established Member
On Desiro stock generally, UDS (called UDB at some firms) when activated by a guard within the centre of two or three units, generally isolates everything rearward of it.

When operated from the driver cab, (I think) only the 'rearmost unit' doesnt open.

[edit... as above, duplicated what Sniper said]

Status
Not open for further replies.