• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket issue on train??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspector999

Probably been asked before but I can't come up with suitable search terms to find it!

Where there are no ticket issuing facilities at the originating station can the conductor/ticket inspector issue a weekly season ticket on the train?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Seven day seasons, yes, but longer periods, no.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know of a Conductor for Great Western who used to carry around blank Photocards for the issue of new weekly seasons. I don't know whether this was company sanctioned or the individual using his own initiative. As long as you already have a Photocard though you should be fine as Tp says, 7-day season tickets can be issued on board.

Flamingo

Established Member
Private initiative, I've never heard of anyone doing it, I wouldn't even know where to get them from.

bnm

Established Member
Apologies if I'm being a bit thick here, but what use is a blank Photocard?

Someone asking for a 7 day season on board should already have a Photocard. If they are issued a blank one, they would need to be carrying a spare passport sized photo. Otherwise the Season wouldn't be valid.

Without a photo, surely this guard's initiative could land the passenger in hot water. Was this guard telling passengers to get a photo at the earliest opportunity. What if the passenger is stopped by an RPI before doing so?

Or was this guard carrying around blank Photocards and a camera capable of instantly taking and printing passport sized photos? ;)

Seems a bit pointless to carry around blank Photocards on the off chance that you'll get a Weekly Season sale from someone who has no Photocard, but just happens to be carrying a spare passport sized photo.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apologies if I'm being a bit thick here, but what use is a blank Photocard?
Just the pink card with no photo in it.
If they are issued a blank one, they would need to be carrying a spare passport sized photo. Otherwise the Season wouldn't be valid.
Correct.
Seems a bit pointless to carry around blank Photocards on the off chance that you'll get a Weekly Season sale from someone who has no Photocard, but just happens to be carrying a spare passport sized photo.
Well if you're going to purchase a weekly season ticket, then you may know that a Photocard is required. Armed with this knowledge, one would bring their photograph along for when they board the train.

Given this is a line where tickets are bought on board due to all stations being unstaffed except one at the end of the line, the sale of season tickets is not at all unusual.

I couldn't say, but I would hazard a guess that customers without photos would be told to buy a return and come back tomorrow (or get it at the ticket office at the end of the line).

Flamingo

Established Member
Some people do have a "spare" passport photo in their wallet/purse as the machines that take them give four at a time. I know I do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just ask a friendly Ticket Office clerk for a few.
I don't think I have ever been in a position where I would have needed one!

Inspector999

Thanks everyone

Already have a photocard - now I can rest easy and have an extra 30 minutes in bed in the morning.

sarahj

Established Member
I carry a couple of blank ones, ever since I was asked at an unmaned station where they could get one from, they had the photo ready. After that I managed to source some, for the just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.