• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket price discrepency

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisf

Looking on Southern's Twitter feed a passenger asked why a Chichester (CCH) to Haywards Heath (HHE) weekly season was £60 when switching the stations round gave a price of £52. Both tickets are routed 'ANY PERMITTED'

Surely as a season ticket gives unlimited travel between those points, could the passenger could use the cheaper season in the more expensive direction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnycache

I work for Southern.
Sorry its an error
Please buy the cheaper one.
It should be correct from 02 September.

calc7

Established Member
I work for Southern.
Sorry its an error
Please buy the cheaper one.
It should be correct from 02 September.

Trying not to be cynical, but will the correction see both prices £52, £60 or somewhere inbetween?

RJ

Established Member
Trying not to be cynical, but will the correction see both prices £52, £60 or somewhere inbetween?

Looking at the prices of the season tickets from surrounding stations, it's around 100% likely to go up to £60.

Obviously, it's only the smart people who go bringing attention to this sort of thing for no apparent reason.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Looking at the prices of the season tickets from surrounding stations, it's around 100% likely to go up to £60.

Obviously, it's only the smart people who go bringing attention to this sort of thing for no apparent reason.

Cos it's obviously not going to be noticed by ticket office staff when someone comes in and asks for that ticket with a printout from NRE showing the price as £52?

RJ

Established Member
Hmmm. The fares seems to be in a bit of mess from Haywards Heath to stations west of the Arun Valley. Harder to predict which is the supposed to be the correct fare.

Cos it's obviously not going to be noticed by ticket office staff when someone comes in and asks for that ticket with a printout from NRE showing the price as £52?

It's inevitable that if you're actually making use of the anomaly, somebody is going to pick up on it one day and it will be corrected. However, the mentality behind bringing attention to an anomaly just for the sake of it baffles me. For those who don't work with or in the pricing department of the TOC concerned, is there some sort of merit in being the one to get these things shut down or something? I recall not so long back, forum members were championing the idea of calling the media about a conspicuously anomalous Virgin priced fare - still not quite sure why this was seen as a better option than informing the TOC directly.

I think there's some value in having a consistent and correct system even if it means erasing some anomalies.

Whilst I agree with you in prinicple, I would rather pay £52 a week than £60 for exactly the same product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.