• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket Validity on WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

muug1982

Hi,
Can someone please help me in establishing the validity of a Coleshill Parkway - Luton Airport Parkway season on the WCML. I need to travel into Central London this week (starting from Coleshill) and am trying to work out whether I need a ticket from Nuneaton, Bletchley, Watford (or anywhere else) to travel on the fastest route down the WCML into Euston.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How far have you got?

Presumably you used the Routeing Point Calculator to determine Tamworth & Birmingham are appropriate Routeing Points for Coleshill and Bedford is appropriate for Luton?

You can then look up Bedford to Tamworth on the yellow pages, and see the mapped routes are EM, TV or TV+WM and likewise for Brum it's EB or MI+BP. In both cases the route code 'LONDON' is available (ie, all the permitted routes from origin to London, plus although I note your Season ticket will be routed "Not via London" so you cannot use it via London Terminals. The maps are here: http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps

Have you tried getting an itinerary? The booking engines will show whether or not their interpretation of the Routeing Guide allows a particular route to be used, and I have no problems getting an itinerary via Watford Jn/St Albans Abbey (e.g. via: How Wood) on a "not via London" ticket, on the first booking site I used. This would mean you'd just need a ticket to cover Watford Jn to get you to Euston (which is technically Up not down ;))

najaB

Veteran Member
Hi,
Can someone please help me in establishing the validity of a Coleshill Parkway - Luton Airport Parkway season on the WCML. I need to travel into Central London this week (starting from Coleshill) and am trying to work out whether I need a ticket from Nuneaton, Bletchley, Watford (or anywhere else) to travel on the fastest route down the WCML into Euston.
Using the NRE Season Ticket Calculator it looks like a Coleshill Parkway (CEH) to London Terminals season ticket is what you want. I can't post a direct link to the results but if you try it you'll see you've a choice between LM & XC only or Any Permitted for a little more (where 'little' is almost double).

Edit: Sorry, I think I completely misunderstood your question.

Last edited:

muug1982

How far have you got?

Presumably you used the Routeing Point Calculator to determine Tamworth & Birmingham are appropriate Routeing Points for Coleshill and Bedford is appropriate for Luton?

You can then look up Bedford to Tamworth on the yellow pages, and see the mapped routes are EM, TV or TV+WM and likewise for Brum it's EB or MI+BP. In both cases the route code 'LONDON' is available (ie, all the permitted routes from origin to London, plus although I note your Season ticket will be routed "Not via London" so you cannot use it via London Terminals. The maps are here: http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps

Have you tried getting an itinerary? The booking engines will show whether or not their interpretation of the Routeing Guide allows a particular route to be used, and I have no problems getting an itinerary via Watford Jn/St Albans Abbey (e.g. via: How Wood) on a "not via London" ticket, on the first booking site I used. This would mean you'd just need a ticket to cover Watford Jn to get you to Euston (which is technically Up not down ;))

I got confused by LONDON as a routing point, but journeys not being allowed via West Hampstead. I've always thought it valid via Bletchley, but thanks for your clarifications.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
yorkie, Nuneaton is also an approproate Routeing Point for this flow (not that it changes anything).

I'm very interested to see if anyone can work out why the booking engines allow the St Albans Abbey line, as as far as I can see from the Routeing Guide, it isn't permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.