• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seating and comfort on the IEPs vs HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
Many forum members have complained about the new seating on the IEPs, comparing it unfavourably to the HSTs. They have especially complained about the first class comparison. What do you think? Is it likely the seats will be changed if travellers are put off by the change?

Unfavourably? My last HST journey was 6 hours of hell on an IC70 seat between Perth & Kings Cross.

It makes a Q400 seem tolerable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
Many forum members have complained about the new seating on the IEPs, comparing it unfavourably to the HSTs. They have especially complained about the first class comparison. What do you think? Is it likely the seats will be changed if travellers are put off by the change?

If the seats are firm and people end their journey with an numb bum and are glad to get off then they are going to look unfavourably on train travel. Like it many TOC's have reported a lower than expected growth in passenger numbers and in some cases decrease in passenger numbers. The DFT seemed to be under the impression that rail patronage would increase no matter what. I'm positive that uncomfortable very firm seats are not going to assist in encouraging people to travel by train to match the rise in passenger numbers the DFT needs.

I have travelled from London to Birmingham on Chiltern many times and have been completely comfortable every time. You can have decent comfortable seats on trains.

westv

Established Member
At least with the IEPs we won't have to deal with blasts of cold air when the window is left down after people get off.

westv

Established Member
Do we know what the seat pitch will be on VTEC services and how it compares no now?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Very witty !!!

Have you experienced the existing FGW HST 1st Class Seat and it's 800 successor ? - If so which do you prefer and why ?

Honestly - I prefer the IEP first seats.

But I can't imagine that any seat would be comfortable for Inverness to London by train.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Have you experienced the existing FGW HST 1st Class Seat and it's 800 successor ? - If so which do you prefer and why ?

I have.

Last summer I did Penzance to Paddington first class in an HST; I found the leather very hard, slippery and unyielding - not very comfortable at all.

In October, on the first day of IET services, I did the 07.00 Paddington to Bristol and back, first class. Much more comfortable.

As for standard class, although the seats are hard I do prefer the IET to the HST. I think I've only been on one GWR HST since the IETs entered service in October; I am even holding back for IETs when I am not in a hurry.

route:oxford

Established Member
Surely, in order for a reasonable test, participants in seating threads such as these should disclose:-

Height
Weight
Type of bottom. Muscle booty, pert, saggy, or a pair of bust hot water bottles over bone.

?

superalbs

Established Member
There are pics floating somewhere on the internet of a Class 800 with proper GWR seating colours, also looks like more padding.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Legroom on the 800 is excellent, best on the network.
I remember trawling through the technical spec about 4 or 5 years ago, and that was pretty clear that legroom would be good, going by the tabulated figures. Never stopped people complaining about seat spacing before one was ever built though...

Butts

Veteran Member
I remember trawling through the technical spec about 4 or 5 years ago, and that was pretty clear that legroom would be good, going by the tabulated figures. Never stopped people complaining about seat spacing before one was ever built though...

It does not seem to better in 1st Class on GWR or am I imagining that ?

superalbs

Established Member
Yes, better than the Class 180. It very much seems that the extra 3m over a regular coach has been used to increase space rather than the number of rows.
I think there are only like 4 extra seats in a standard carriage, but seems weird how they go to the effort of spacing out the seats, but then not getting any good seats.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So when you say "best on the network" you are referring to Standard Class ?

Yes, I haven't tried 1st as there wasn't a reasonable fare for just darting to Reading and back. Though from outside it looks good, basically the same as the ICE without leather (and I'm no great fan of leather other than for the headrest where it makes it easier to clean).

But other than "sham 1st" on commuter trains (which exists for a higher chance of a seat and for no other reason) I have never found legroom an issue in 1st on any train. It tends to be generous anyway, so an inch up or down isn't going to make a huge difference. While in Standard being tall it's quite likely that an inch up or down is the difference between pain and comfort.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes, I haven't tried 1st as there wasn't a reasonable fare for just darting to Reading and back. Though from outside it looks good, basically the same as the ICE without leather (and I'm no great fan of leather other than for the headrest where it makes it easier to clean).

Well when you get the chance to go beyond "window shopping" you are in for a huge disappointment !!!

GWR's HST Coach K is truly "First among equals"

Status
Not open for further replies.