• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Can a Train/Bus company or tram operator force you to sit was just wondering as i prefer to stand on merseyrail 142 and Northern Spirit 142's and Metrolink M5000's and just wondered if i was asked to could they make me sit? Main reasons being leg room and a bad back being the issues but the bench seats on the merseyrail 142's are pretty cumfy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
I do not work within the railway industry, however I am an enthusiast and remember going into London from Slough when I lived there a good few years ago and was standing on the train.

Someone from FGW came round to check the tickets, I presume it ws the guard. Anyway, while standing as the train stopped all stations into London this ticket inspector noticed that a seat was vacant said that either I sit in this seat or they would throw me off the train at Southall which was the next station stop.

I complained that I actually had muscle cramp in my legs and would be better standing to release the tension. However, because I did not sit down this ticket inspector and a ciolleague threw me off the train at Southall.

I ended up complaining to the station master at Southall when I eventually found him, who stated to me that the ticket you buy is just for taking you from a to b, it does not cover the price of the seat which if one is available is a bonus. The station master apologised for the way I was treated and said that they should not have thrown me off the train if I was standing minding my own business which I was when I was on the train. I explained to the station master, that as well as relieving pains in my legs I was allowing those more senior to me to be more comfortable.

Morale of the story, is I think it depends on how the guard views the safety of their passengers on the train. That has been my experience anyway.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
I have never once been requested to sit down, which I sometimes do not on the grounds, for example, that I am only going one stop, and I'd rather not squeeze past a number of people in order to have the pleasure of getting up again and repeating a rather complicated and tactless manoeuvre a few minutes later. However, I have no medical excuse, and I would probably oblige if requested.

If it is legal to stand in the vehicle then I see no reason why not. Buses and trains are designed with the safety of both seated and standing passengers in mind, and buses - at least - also have guidelines about how many of each type of passenger are permitted.

Norman

I do not work within the railway industry, however I am an enthusiast and remember going into London from Slough when I lived there a good few years ago and was standing on the train.

Someone from FGW came round to check the tickets, I presume it ws the guard. Anyway, while standing as the train stopped all stations into London this ticket inspector noticed that a seat was vacant said that either I sit in this seat or they would throw me off the train at Southall which was the next station stop.

I complained that I actually had muscle cramp in my legs and would be better standing to release the tension. However, because I did not sit down this ticket inspector and a ciolleague threw me off the train at Southall.

I ended up complaining to the station master at Southall when I eventually found him, who stated to me that the ticket you buy is just for taking you from a to b, it does not cover the price of the seat which if one is available is a bonus. The station master apologised for the way I was treated and said that they should not have thrown me off the train if I was standing minding my own business which I was when I was on the train. I explained to the station master, that as well as relieving pains in my legs I was allowing those more senior to me to be more comfortable.

Morale of the story, is I think it depends on how the guard views the safety of their passengers on the train. That has been my experience anyway.

If this actually happened in the way you said it did, then surely you made a complaint to the Head Office of FGW rather than just station staff? If it did then it was outrageous treatment; I am surprised other people haven't commented on your post.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In 2008 a group of us did a Freedom of Scotland Rover. A Scotrail guard on the Edinburgh - Aberdeen route insisted that we sat down. We would have preferred to stand up together than be forced to be apart. He said it was for safety reasons. He's probably not working any more as he looked older than retirement age back then.

Very rare, and quite unbelievable, but it really did happen to us, so I have no reason to disbelieve Robbies.

dvboy

Established Member
If you stand on the top deck of a London bus an announcement tells you to sit down. standing is usually only permitted on lower decks of buses.

First class

Established Member
(Again, I have no actual opinion on this, but based on the law)

Legally, if asked to sit, then yes you must sit down. Else you commit a prosecutable offence. If you had a medical condition or something, I suspect that is "good cause". Simply preferring to stand would not be good cause IMO.

Byelaw 12(2) An authorised person may, in an emergency or in other circumstances in
which he believes he should act in the interests of safety, issue instructions to
any person on the railway. No person shall, without good cause, disobey such
instructions

Schnellzug

Established Member
I can't help tinking that Byelaw 12(2) seems to be almost as all-purpose as some of G. W. Bush's anti-"terrorist" legsilation. It could really be used for anything at all that anyone could want it to, couldn't it.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I can't help tinking that Byelaw 12(2) seems to be almost as all-purpose as some of G. W. Bush's anti-"terrorist" legsilation. It could really be used for anything at all that anyone could want it to, couldn't it.

Yes, including keeping people safe!

It's a very important byelaw that gives staff the power to enforce safety on the railway. Some of the instructions staff may give a passenger may be obtuse or seem odd to the layman, but they are usually for good reason.

Welshman

Established Member
If you stand on the top deck of a London bus an announcement tells you to sit down. standing is usually only permitted on lower decks of buses.

Isn't that because you'd do something rather worrying to the centre of gravity of the bus?

I presume that doesn't apply on trains!

tom1649

Standing is not permitted on the top deck of any double decker bus whether in London or elsewhere.

Michael.Y

Established Member
I usually "encourage" rather than force people to sit down, especially if there are people standing in vestibules, blocking doors etc. when there are lots of seats available. Having, as I did today, six people stood in the vestibule, blocking the drivers' door and leaving me no room for my trolley, let alone any boarding/alighting passengers when there are about 10-15 seats available is slightly daft, I feel.

route:oxford

Established Member

It all depends on the circumstances.

I could readily imagine a standing passenger making a seated passenger feel uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.