• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second Anglian Loco Hauled Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubs

I'm still amazed those things are in service and weren't scrapped.

They were in such poor state when they left Anglia 11 years ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
I'm still amazed those things are in service and weren't scrapped.

They were in such poor state when they left Anglia 11 years ago.

I'm more surprised very few took on the FGW Mk2s - they were alway the best looked after and more reliable of the Mk2 fleets. Most of those ex Anglia Mk2s are in a dire state - I had the ex Anglia take on the Cardiff-Tauntons a few years ago, hottest day of the year and a trespass incident meant we were sat outside Cardiff for at least half and hour +, No working air con in any of the coaches, the floors were very soft and spongy and the interior was hardly in the best of nick. Mind you, sadly this is what we've come to expect from Riviera - the Mk2 FO I had on the RWC extra last year was one of Crewe's long ish term residents, and had a leaky roof.

I think the best thing to ever happen to most of our Mk2 fleet was shipping them to New Zealand. That's no disrespect to New Zealand at all, their conversions are highly impressive!

Townsend Hook

So you think it is OK for Riviera to treat paying passengers like this?

To be totally fair, ultimately it is GA who are treating passengers like that. They signed off on the stock being fit for their services. If they didn't like what was on offer from Riviera they could have taken their business elsewhere.

On Moderation
To be totally fair, ultimately it is GA who are treating passengers like that. They signed off on the stock being fit for their services. If they didn't like what was on offer from Riviera they could have taken their business elsewhere.
GA or DRS? To be fair, there isn't actually much choice - having lost that 170 GA had a choice of hiring something that was available or start cancelling trains due to stock shortage. I still don't think it lets Riviera off the hook - but, yes, their customers need to take a harder line with them (including tour operators) and include contractual penalties for sub-standard stock.

Hopefully the negative publicity around Riviera's stock on the GBRf tour might shame them into upping their game.

chubs

What's going on with the repair of the 170? Would be nice to see the end of the short hauled sets without having to wait for the new units in a few years time.

On Moderation
What's going on with the repair of the 170? Would be nice to see the end of the short hauled sets without having to wait for the new units in a few years time.

170 is at Kilmarnock as I understand it, presumably for repair.

TheEdge

Established Member

Its still at Brodies being polished last I heard. Came out in the railway press a few days ago Arriva Train Care have got a contract for a refurb of the GA 170s and it specifically said 170204 was included so presumably it will be coming back eventually.

So you think it is OK for Riviera to treat paying passengers like this?

How you've managed to glean that from my comment is beyond me. There was an element of humour involved which I suspect caused the issue.

No I do not is the answer though if you were wondering, not that my opinion will make the slightest difference to the situation.

Brian Aylott

Its still at Brodies being polished last I heard. Came out in the railway press a few days ago Arriva Train Care have got a contract for a refurb of the GA 170s and it specifically said 170204 was included so presumably it will be coming back eventually.

Regarding the GA 170 contract, the info was correct - unlike some info in the 'liar'
However I would not call it news - the contract was made known at least 7 months ago - see the Porterbrook website
I don't think there was ever any doubt that 170204 was coming back - the only doubt was (and is) when
Brian

dk1

Veteran Member
Looks like the 2nd set is having a little outing today. Issues with Intercity set failures has caused the cancellation of both the 11:00 & 11:30 UP services. A special with the 68s is planned as 11:50 Norwich to Colchester, then 14:48 return in the path of 1P34.

colchesterken

Can confirm dk1 s prediction worked out
I was trainspotting at Colchester today and was shocked to see the 68 set leave from platform 3 it was overloaded and left some people behind looked like the previous Norwich must have been cancelled as well as the one it replaced
2 shiny mk2 TSO and a brake the coaches looked ex works in blue and grey livery
Not seen a class 68 close up before I was impressed with how smooth the engines were hardly any noise
A class 37 light engine went past on the up road
The RHTT pulled in and parked up in the freight sidings
There was a 66 Freightliner in the freight yard with a red flashing in the front window looked like it had failed and was waiting for a friend to pull it to Ipswich
A very good hour and half trainspotting

LAX54

Established Member
Can confirm dk1 s prediction worked out
I was trainspotting at Colchester today and was shocked to see the 68 set leave from platform 3 it was overloaded and left some people behind looked like the previous Norwich must have been cancelled as well as the one it replaced
2 shiny mk2 TSO and a brake the coaches looked ex works in blue and grey livery
Not seen a class 68 close up before I was impressed with how smooth the engines were hardly any noise
A class 37 light engine went past on the up road
The RHTT pulled in and parked up in the freight sidings
There was a 66 Freightliner in the freight yard with a red flashing in the front window looked like it had failed and was waiting for a friend to pull it to Ipswich
A very good hour and half trainspotting

It was not a failure, it was 4L97 that recesses on the Loop for a couple of hours, as it was shut down and unmanned, and sometimes its left on the UGL which is of course Bi-directional, there is always a red flashing tail lamp left on the front of the train so that it can be 'seen'

Status
Not open for further replies.