• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second attempt at MMI, did you pass or fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDCW

If like me you sailed through all of the assements and DMI only to fall at the last hurdle, the MMI, you'll probably remember what a blow that was. I've thought about not much since hearing five days ago.

I have one more shot at this and I'm wondering how many people pass or fail on the second attempt. Do you have experience with this? Also, how long did it take till you were able to get back into the recruitment process and attempt the MMI again. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I failed a cbi in 2012, re sat in 2017 and failed cbi again, because they were reset had another attempt and passed a mmi in October 2018.

In my second attempt I must have put in 50 hours plus easy of research and when I failed it i was dumbstruck.

The key with the cbi / mmi is to find the criteria and find examples that relate to it.

Jlob2804

I had my MMI for SWR a few days ago.

I had this question I'm worried about.
It was a hypothetical question based on the SJE I sat first (not an official MMI question) and she said, "If you saw an accident what would you do?" I tried to get more clarification as to what the accident was e.g. car crash, train crash etc but she wouldn't say.

I said. "I would make sure I was safe first", e.g. wouldn't run out into a road to help an unconscious driver without checking it was clear. Then I said, "I would check their situation i.e. if they're conscious or not and if necessary call an ambulance."
She said, "So basically, you 'WOULD' do something?" and I said yes. It felt like that was the wrong thing to say but I'd already said it.

In hindsight I think they're looking for people who are reluctant to help in situations like that and would rather just call an ambulance and let them deal with it.

I revised really hard for the MMI and feel like I did OK in most other aspects, so if I don't get it because of that it's going to be quite hard to take, especially as the driver manager in my DMI thought I would breeze it. For SWR it's the last hurdle before the medical.

Daydr3am3r

I know it’s hard but try not to over think it.
I had my MMI last week and used an example for one of the questions about assisting at an accident. Obviously not going to share my full answer but I see that as taking personal responsibility.

I passed!

MDCW

It was a hypothetical question based on the SJE I sat first (not an official MMI question) and she said, "If you saw an accident what would you do?" I tried to get more clarification as to what the accident was e.g. car crash, train crash etc but she wouldn't say.

I said. "I would make sure I was safe first", e.g. wouldn't run out into a road to help an unconscious driver without checking it was clear. Then I said, "I would check their situation i.e. if they're conscious or not and if necessary call an ambulance."
She said, "So basically, you 'WOULD' do something?" and I said yes. It felt like that was the wrong thing to say but I'd already said it.

In hindsight I think they're looking for people who are reluctant to help in situations like that and would rather just call an ambulance and let them deal with it.

I revised really hard for the MMI and feel like I did OK in most other aspects, so if I don't get it because of that it's going to be quite hard to take, especially as the driver manager in my DMI thought I would breeze it. For SWR it's the last hurdle before the medical.

I breezed though everything until the MMI, I think its one question I failed on and yes, it has been hard to take. Its a setback that could take years to get another shot at. Good luck with your application.. Keep us posted as to how you get on!

MDCW

I had my MMI last week and used an example for one of the questions about assisting at an accident. Obviously not going to share my full answer but I see that as taking personal responsibility.

I passed!

Congratulations! wish I could say the same as you. When does your training start? Also, can I ask how old you are? At 45 i think i'm running out of time.

Twotwo

No,

No, just said I'd failed no give an acceptable answer in "Area A" no more than that. I'd love to know more.

Hmm doesn't make sense. They should have been able to tell you what question/s it is you failed on. Not sure what they meant by area a? Perhaps the first q which to the best of my knowledge is when have you been relied on during difficult times?

Twotwo

Unless it was one of their questions that they normally ask based on the SJT??

MDCW

Hmm doesn't make sense. They should have been able to tell you what question/s it is you failed on. Not sure what they meant by area a? Perhaps the first q which to the best of my knowledge is when have you been relied on during difficult times?

I think that was it? Can't be anything else, unless Area A is a general characteristic? But I don't think I relayed the situation very well during that question, so it must be that? Tough to go though such a long slow process to fail on one question.

Twotwo

I think that was it? Can't be anything else, unless Area A is a general characteristic? But I don't think I relayed the situation very well during that question, so it must be that? Tough to go though such a long slow process to fail on one question.

Failed to give an acceptable answer. Maybe you didn't give an answer when they prompted you or ask their own q? Tbh if it was a question they would have been able to share that information so now I'm thinking it's not any of the 6 mmi q....

Daydr3am3r

Congratulations! wish I could say the same as you. When does your training start? Also, can I ask how old you are? At 45 i think i'm running out of time.

GWR process is slightly different as I still have the DMI to pass as this is at the end. This is booked in next month. If I’m lucky enough to pass that then potentially it could be a long wait but again I’m not too worried about that as it’s out of my hands.

I’m 37. Having life experience behind you is definitely a bonus so I wouldn’t worry that it is passing you by just yet!!

Daydr3am3r

Failed to give an acceptable answer. Maybe you didn't give an answer when they prompted you or ask their own q? Tbh if it was a question they would have been able to share that information so now I'm thinking it's not any of the 6 mmi q....

They do say at the start of the MMI that you will also be assessed on your communication skills.

MDCW

What else could area A be?

Twotwo

They do say at the start of the MMI that you will also be assessed on your communication skills.

Oh yeah! But I'm sure they would have said that rather then failure to give acceptable answer in area A?

Anyways just to add. I too failed the MMI and it was so annoying to fail on the least difficult question 'when have you preserved to achieve a task'. Looking back my answer was a bit ****. My only worry now is my assesment expiring before having another chance!

MDCW

Oh yeah! But I'm sure they would have said that rather then failure to give acceptable answer in area A?

Anyways just to add. I too failed the MMI and it was so annoying to fail on the least difficult question 'when have you preserved to achieve a task'. Looking back my answer was a bit ****. My only worry now is my assesment expiring before having another chance!

how long you got left of the three years?

Twotwo

how long you got left of the three years?

This was back in January. So my 6 months should be up in in July. But tbh I don't see much tocs recruiting anytime soon because a lot of them have already done so. And I also think some tocs do 2 years. Tbh I'm sure I can do the assesments again but I'd rather not too lol. Anyways don't give up. I think you should call again because area a is quite vauge answer and quite unfair on you.

MDCW

This was back in January. So my 6 months should be up in in July. But tbh I don't see much tocs recruiting anytime soon because a lot of them have already done so. And I also think some tocs do 2 years. Tbh I'm sure I can do the assesments again but I'd rather not too lol. Anyways don't give up. I think you should call again because area a is quite vauge answer and quite unfair on you.

I sent an email in a couple of days after requesting more feedback. I got a reply saying they couldn't tell me anymore as it would give me the answer for next time.

crebbs1

I passed an MMI recently and had a similar hypothetical question thrown in where I questioned the examiner a few times. I think You’ve definitely answered that correctly, they want to know you would take responsibility and deal with the emergency in the best way possible. No expert here but wouldn’t worry about that.

jad

When they ask a hypothetical question like that, would it be appropriate to answer with an example of what you had done in a relatively similar situation? Or are they strictly looking for a hypothetical answer?

Jlob2804

I passed!

Thank you. That sounds promising :D

I passed an MMI recently and had a similar hypothetical question thrown in where I questioned the examiner a few times. I think You’ve definitely answered that correctly, they want to know you would take responsibility and deal with the emergency in the best way possible. No expert here but wouldn’t worry about that.

You passed so in my eyes you're an expert lol.

She just threw me by saying it was on the way to work? I was thinking do they want me to deal with the situation and be late to work or just keep looking down at the pavement and pretend I hadn't seen it because I don't want to be late for work.
It's so tough to know what they want.

Thanks though mate that helps settle the nerves a bit. I guess it's just a waiting game. I'll let ya know how I get on.

Jlob2804

When they ask a hypothetical question like that, would it be appropriate to answer with an example of what you had done in a relatively similar situation? Or are they strictly looking for a hypothetical answer?

I don't know if I have passed my MMI yet and hence don't know if I'm qualified to answer yet but my hunch would be that, yes it is OK to answer with an example of when you have done something similar in real life (That is just a real world manifestation of what your hypothetical answer would be anyway).

It's just the hypothetical questions come out of nowhere and have no relation to the MMI question you've just been talking about for 10 minutes so they catch you off guard. If an appropriate real world answer comes to you quickly enough then go for it.

Others may disagree but that's my view based on my particular experience of an MMI at SWR.

Dynamonic

I passed the MMI on my second attempt at the end of 2017, after failing my first at the start of 2014.
I too, failed my first MMI on one question, the one about tasks similar to the train driver role.
I remember feeling totally devastated to get knocked back at the MMI stage, and knowing I just had one shot left, I held back from reapplying for a few years until I truly felt ‘ready’.
I ended up having to do every assessment again because of the gap, (bit of a risk, I know) but I certainly felt better going in the second time, having had a lot of time to really think things through.

My advice would be to write down everything you were asked, as you may quickly forget as time goes on, and start thinking of situations you’ve had that utilise the Train Driver Non-Technical Skills. You may have been closer to passing than you think, with just one thing holding you back slightly.
Definitely do not give up, no matter how far away the dream feels, and go for it again! Loads of people get through the MMI on their second attempt! :)

dazzayid

When asked questions like these you need to remember saying lots of things about safety and communication as these are keywords they will look for. You just have to think like a Driver. Everything on the railway is about safety and communication so saying those as much as you can helps

Railweigh

Thank you. That sounds promising :D

You passed so in my eyes you're an expert lol.

She just threw me by saying it was on the way to work? I was thinking do they want me to deal with the situation and be late to work or just keep looking down at the pavement and pretend I hadn't seen it because I don't want to be late for work.
It's so tough to know what they want.

Thanks though mate that helps settle the nerves a bit. I guess it's just a waiting game. I'll let ya know how I get on.

They want to know you’re going to do something and not just freeze or ignore a situation. I’m at training school currently and that’s what is stressed during traction - emergency situations and the exact actions and order are easy to talk about, but real life situations under massive pressure are different, and as long as you take action and do something based on your training then that’s what is important.

Topcat999

Have they given you feedback on which question(s) you failed on yet..?
That's the ting they do not give any feedback..you are left scratching your head and wondering what it was...

They should have to give the reason why....then it stops all the "conspiracy" theories. If you failed you failed fair enough but at least tell them why.

Topcat999

Such a B*S* question really. I mean every emergency is different....as long as you apply common sense. It is one of those questions they can fail or pass you on whether they want to or not.

Dynamonic

I was told what the question I'd failed on was when I got the feedback from my first attempt. I remember being surprised that it wasn't the question I thought I'd failed on. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.