• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second Volcanic Ash Cload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Easy - add a couple more carriages to the trains <D

Oh, and don't sell GroupSave tickets to folk travelling on XC (as I saw many times when it happened last).

anthony263

Established Member
ATW will have fun with the daytime fishguard service unless they use the loco hauled stock from the WAG1 service.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
From what I heard of the post-gales problem in Scotland, not very much.

I was recently reminded, quite strongly on another thread, that the railway companies do not have "trains lying around, doing nothing" any more. Who am I, as a mere passenger, to offer any contradiction to those who actually work in the railway industry.

Johnny Lewis

Virgin are laying on a few extra trains tomorrow between London and Glasgow. See their website for details.

Wildrover

I am on the 18.18 BHN to EDB, and its full of passengers moaning about Ryanair and other air companies. Virgin could remind these refugees of how to be a nice train passenger, and order up supplies at Preston please. smiling happy Virgin staff, well done.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Can I suggest that this and the other thread on the topic are merged?

bus man

The situation at 2000 hours today was that coach operators in nottinghamshire were sending coaches to the newcastle area for use on flight replacement services. As they were the nearest available coaches !

WestCoast

Established Member
Those are kept in the same place as the spare planes that are brought in to operation when services through the Channel Tunnel are suspended. :roll:

Spare planes are easier to get hold of than trains though! There are sub-charter companies (such as Titian at Stansted) which can supply aircraft for practically any route to the scheduled airlines. Not quite the same, but look at how many aircraft BA were able to charter during the strikes.

Yes, that exists on the railway, but the TOC wont hire the limited stock in. Many airlines have stored aircraft aswell - plus those that can be taken out of non-urgent maintenance.

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Second thread of the same thing! :lol:

According to Sky News, the ash cloud has left UK airspace but is bound for Europe and could return later. The Germans have closed some of their airports.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Second thread of the same thing! :lol:

According to Sky News, the ash cloud has left UK airspace but is bound for Europe and could return later. The Germans have closed some of their airports.

I agree with you....this thread is about the SECOND ash cloud. Can this thread stay as the current master thread on this matter, PLEASE!!!

The latest that I heard was the airports in Sweden and those in Northern Germany have closed their airports.

I have seen the other thread on the "General Discussion" part of this website and have posted a suggestion on there that it would be better that all of us use THIS particular thread on the N R General Discussion forum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.