• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Secret/Disused Stations - London Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Don't know if there is a thread on this....

1. Are there any secret stations ...ie that were not supposed to know about

2. Are there any disused stations that are visible on a normal journey (not temp closures)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Verney Junction is my favourite disused station. It represents the faded hopes of Metro-land. Thankfully urban sprawl did not reach that part of Buckinghamshire.

It's a fabulously surreal place to visit. Utterly silent.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
1. Are there any secret stations ...ie that were not supposed to know about

There are some who believe there is a secret Underground station at Buckingham Palace, but there is no actual evidence of this.

On the Piccadilly, it was Down Street that was used as a bunker during WW2 but was subsequently returned to LU. This isn't the case at Brompton Road, where the surface building remains property of the MOD, with access only at track level for LU staff.

2. Are there any disused stations that are visible on a normal journey (not temp closures)

Yes. On the tube lines, it's possible to see some closed stations. If you look closely out the windows you can see the tunnels widen out, where the old platforms have been removed, e.g. British Museum or South Kentish Town. At some places, such as Down Street where the station was converted for other uses the platforms have been walled off, or turned into sidings (or both). In most places, some original tiling also remains on the tunnel wall, but is obscured by dirt - sometimes you can spot it if the train is going slow enough.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks for all your responses it was supposed to be London Underground ....
but who cares it's all good stuff :p

Butts

Veteran Member
The Buckingham Palace one intrigues me.....

Do Liz and Phil pop out to meet the "great unwashed" every now and then :p

Have they got "ones oyster card"

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Buckingham Palace one intrigues me.....

Do Liz and Phil pop out to meet the "great unwashed" every now and then :p

Have they got "ones oyster card"

Not quite, I'm afraid :lol:

The speculation surrounding Buckingham Palace and it's phantom station was a suggestion that the platforms were either on the Victoria line (which passes close to the palace) or joined the Piccadilly somewhere near Green Park. There is no supporting evidence for either, as far as I'm aware.

Butts

Veteran Member
Not quite, I'm afraid :lol:

The speculation surrounding Buckingham Palace and it's phantom station was a suggestion that the platforms were either on the Victoria line (which passes close to the palace) or joined the Piccadilly somewhere near Green Park. There is no supporting evidence for either, as far as I'm aware.

So it's an urban myth then :p

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That doesn't mean there isn't a secret tunnel from the Palace to Green Park station does it?

That would make far more sense than a secret stati.... excuse me a minute, there's a knocking at the door, I'd better go and see who... AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Butts

Veteran Member
That doesn't mean there isn't a secret tunnel from the Palace to Green Park station does it?

That would make far more sense than a secret stati.... excuse me a minute, there's a knocking at the door, I'd better go and see who... AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Are you now being "waterboarded" in a secret underground station :p

Metrailway

Blake Hall on the former Epping - Ongar stretch of the Central has an interesting history. It is, like Verney Junction, in the middle of nowhere. It was rumoured that the station was built as part of an agreement to allow the railway through the landowners land. By the time it closed in 1981 only 6 passengers per day were using it!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Blake Hall on the former Epping - Ongar stretch of the Central has an interesting history. It is, like Verney Junction, in the middle of nowhere. It was rumoured that the station was built as part of an agreement to allow the railway through the landowners land. By the time it closed in 1981 only 6 passengers per day were using it!

Apparently it was so rural that the only way it could be fed electricity was directly from the traction current. You could tell when the train was approaching as the lights would dim.

mickey

There are some who believe there is a secret Underground station at Buckingham Palace, but there is no actual evidence of this.
Now you mention it, I'm sure I read in a children's history book once that the Queen had a private Underground line to take her somewhere safe in an emergency. I suppose it could be true?

(After all, we saw what Gaddafi had under his house...)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Now you mention it, I'm sure I read in a children's history book once that the Queen had a private Underground line to take her somewhere safe in an emergency. I suppose it could be true?

(After all, we saw what Gaddafi had under his house...)

It's a very common urban myth. I think it's so common because it does actually sound plausible. To be plausible though, it would have to be entirely separate from London Underground - a junction onto a running line is a difficult thing to hide.

I'm thinking maybe something along the line of the what the 5th Duke of Portland constructed for himself. :lol:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
One that very few people will see is Aldwych Jubilee Line.
(Not much of a 'station' granted but the standard tube tunnels are enlarged where the station would have been).

Last edited:

A60K

One that very few people will see is Aldwych Jubilee Line.
(Not much of a 'station' granted but the standard tube tunnels are enlarged where the station would have been).
The overrun tunnels, as far as I know, don't get as far as the planned Aldwych station site and end below Lancaster Place. What evidence have you got for this enlargement?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Wasn't there an unfinished station on the northern line somewhere - having referred to my historical underground map I see it was called Bull & Bush.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Wasn't there an unfinished station on the northern line somewhere - having referred to my historical underground map I see it was called Bull & Bush.

The intention was that the station would have been called North End. Somewhere along the way, the disused station acquired the nickname Bull & Bush from a nearby pub. In the end, it just stuck.

As the website you linked to says, the station never opened due to the opposition from local residents worried about the effects of the new tube line on the nearby Hampsted Heath (they thought it would act as a drain, killing plants and wildlife).

Butts

Veteran Member
The overrun tunnels, as far as I know, don't get as far as the planned Aldwych station site and end below Lancaster Place. What evidence have you got for this enlargement?

Why was the proposed station "canned" ?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Why was the proposed station "canned" ?

Political will and money ran out. The proposal was to extend the original Jubilee from Charing Cross and into the Docklands, heading out via Ludgate Circus and Fenchurch Street. In the end, it was decided that the DLR would be a better solution - that is until the developments overwhelmed it and the Jubilee was extended anyway, but over a different route.

Metrailway

Another interesting closed station on the Ongar stretch is North Weald, which had the sole passing loop on the line. It was the last part of the Underground to be signalled using semaphores which were removed in 1976 when the loop was lifted.

Oracle

Established Member
The last semaphores used by Underground trains were those on the Richmond branch that were removed I think in Easter 1981...I photographed the aftermath on the Saturday after their removal on the Friday. These were survived by the miniature semaphore shunting signals at Harrow & Wealdstons.

http://www.roscalen.com/signals/London/Camden-Watford/8212/0451.jpg

I used to go to school near the site of Osterley & Spring Grove station on the Picc...the station building is still there on the bridge.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

It was a long time ago but am sure the end of the fairly lengthy over run tunnels opened out a bit towards the end of them. Only ever went down there twice, once on r/t and the other taking an 83 on a R/R.

Status
Not open for further replies.