• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeking a low-cost rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I would like to find a cheap Rover ticket that could be considered good value.

This may sound quite simplistic, but I'm thinking more on mileage and coverage grounds than anything else. I had used most stock running today (there are a few exceptions, but nothing especially major), so I'm not epecially worried about that, but I would the chance to find somewhere that is quite cheap to cover and may include various lines I'm not used to. The Cumbrian Coast would be a good example, but there is also the side issue of accessing the Cumbrian Coast.

Ultimately, does anyone have any suggestions? As a general rule, the further south the area the less likely to is to be worthwhile on coverage grounds - but the easier it will be to do. Just don't say a Network Day Tripper :lol:

All I ask is that those that are almost done (see here for a rough idea) are not considered unless likely to be unusually cheap or easy. I know it's not a lot to go on, but I'm hoping that someone out there will have an idea and/or some experience that may be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks a bunch :)

EDIT: Having checked that map again, it's not perfect. With the exception of the routes around Aylesbury, all black lines should be red. (At the time I used black to indicate those I had hoped to do before long, but er...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Hi Ivo.

I would say that the South Pennine day ranger is particularly good value. Particularly in terms of routes covered (suburban, main and branch lines) and variation in scenery and traction etc. And only £20.50 assuming you're up this way some time.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Anglia Plus :?: Easy mileage opportunities here :smile: Reasonably cheap n'all.

TP

Ivo

Established Member
A nice idea, but I've done that already and don't find the Anglian routes particularly inspiring. The best part when I did that was the 1ST Advance I had from Southend Victoria to Norwich - and we all know how excellent NXEA are with complimentaries etc :lol:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Can i suggest the south pennines day ranger too. Along with the cheshire day ranger. Done both at less than £14 (with railcard which i think you have ivo?)

Both very good. The contract in routes covered gives a varied day out on both!

Should you do a south pennines let me know :)

ushawk

Established Member
Always a Southern Daysave - could cover most of the lines in the South East that you havent yet, can only be used on Southern though, so that rules out some of the SWT suburban routes and the North Downs Line. Round about the £10 mark i think for an off-peak one.

Bedpan

Established Member
He's just beaten me to it, although the Daysave is £12, so I was going to suggest a Downlander which is 50p extra, but is also valid on buses. Also the Daysave has to be booked a week in advance, but the Downlander only two days.

Established Member
If you're going to have to travel up to somewhere, you might as well to a 3 in 5 type rover and stay over somewhere. There are a few for the Northern areas and they cover quite a lot of ground for a good price.

Shrub Hill

west midlands day ranger is half decent, at full price its about £22 (god damn fare rise) but will give you access to a good run about, covers from birmingham routes to worcester, leamington, crewe, stoke tamworth nuneaton and northampton as well as the wcml , if you plan it right you can grab 22 miles a time behind the chiltern locos from moor street - leamington, failing that there will be 139's 153's 158's 168's 172's 170's 350's 323's voyagers and pendolinos knocking about, also plenty of stabling points and stuff to go and have a look at depending on your interests

Ivo

Established Member
What about the Valleys Day Ranger ? Or are you planning to do that in the forthcoming Meet ?

The meet. I don't want to say too much in case prying Challenger eyes wander into this thread, but after it I will require only c. 10% of the Valleys network. What would remain however would be rather awkward...!

At present I need nothing south of the main line, and have also done to Llanishen and Pontypridd (both ways), and also Coryton - but not the bit between Heath Low Level and the Rhymney route...

Bedpan

Established Member
Also Wolverhampton - Gobowen and Worcester Hereford. What is a shame though is, whilst you can travel to Crewe, Shrewsbury and Hereford, you can't take the direct route between the three (which I see Ivo hasn't done yet).

The other thing is the the London Midland Great Escape will cover most of the routes for £15, plus Northampton - Euston and branches, and Crewe - Liverpool, but of course you can only travel on LM trains.

Ivo

Established Member
The other thing is the the London Midland Great Escape will cover most of the routes for £15, plus Northampton - Euston and branches, and Crewe - Liverpool, but of course you can only travel on LM trains.

When did that become £15? :( And are they definitely doing it this year? I haven't seen anything as yet. I did it twice last year! :lol:

leacarl

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I would like to find a cheap Rover ticket that could be considered good value.

This may sound quite simplistic, but I'm thinking more on mileage and coverage grounds than anything else. I had used most stock running today (there are a few exceptions, but nothing especially major), so I'm not epecially worried about that, but I would the chance to find somewhere that is quite cheap to cover and may include various lines I'm not used to. The Cumbrian Coast would be a good example, but there is also the side issue of accessing the Cumbrian Coast.

Ultimately, does anyone have any suggestions? As a general rule, the further south the area the less likely to is to be worthwhile on coverage grounds - but the easier it will be to do. Just don't say a Network Day Tripper :lol:

All I ask is that those that are almost done (see here for a rough idea) are not considered unless likely to be unusually cheap or easy. I know it's not a lot to go on, but I'm hoping that someone out there will have an idea and/or some experience that may be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks a bunch :)

EDIT: Having checked that map again, it's not perfect. With the exception of the routes around Aylesbury, all black lines should be red. (At the time I used black to indicate those I had hoped to do before long, but er...)

hi / the anglia plus day rover, circa £15, or circa £10 with railcard discount, available after rush hours mon to frid, but some staff unofficially allow them before earlierand any time weekends . the area covered is from camridge to kings lynn, cambridge to ipswich and everywhere in east anglia eastwards and northwards. anglia plus is excellent value with the charge having not risen very much since 1985 !!!.

D6975

Established Member
A North West 7 day rover costs £80. At just over £11 a day that's incredibly good value for such a large area. And, there's that oh-so useful easement of no time restrictions between Barrow-Carlisle. That means you can do the DRS 37 all the way from Carlisle down to Barrow in the morning.

SouthStand

Lincolnshire day ranger? Enjoy the luxurious first class comfort and complementary food on a 153 from Peterborough to Lincoln :)

On a related note, there used to be a site about rovers where the webmaster had many stories about his numerous rover trips. Enjoyed reading about his experiences but the site seemed to go offline about a year ago?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
hi / the anglia plus day rover, circa £15, or circa £10 with railcard discount, available after rush hours mon to frid, but some staff unofficially allow them before earlierand any time weekends . the area covered is from camridge to kings lynn, cambridge to ipswich and everywhere in east anglia eastwards and northwards. anglia plus is excellent value with the charge having not risen very much since 1985 !!!.
My bold.

A+ is not valid on FCC (or Greater Anglia as a matter of fact) on the line between Ely, Littleport, Downham Market, Watlington and Kings Lynn. As far as I am aware, it never has been, should this rover be used on this stretch you will be liable to a penalty fare.

An overview of the routes available (as I am sure I have posted before):

• Norwich to Cambridge (via Ely - including FCC to Waterbeach)
  • Norwich to Ipswich via Diss (and other local stations)
  • Norwich to Sheringham, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft (Great Yarmouth both via Acle and via Berney Arms)
  • Ipswich to Felixtowe
  • Lowestoft to Ipswich via the East Suffolk Line
  • Stowmarket to Ely/Cambridge via Bury St Edmunds
On services provided by NXEA (soon to become Greater Anglia), East Midlands Trains, First Capital Connect and arguably CrossCountry (but lets not discuss that matter in this thread, google search will reveal previous)

TP

Status
Not open for further replies.