• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeking funds for feasibility study to reopen the disused Northampton to Market Harborough line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew Crayolist

Does anyone have a pre 1981 British Rail timetable for Northampton to Leicester return journey via Market Harborough?

The railway line was closed in 1981.

We are having a public meeting on September 30th 2-4pm Quaker House, Northampton to seek funds for a feasibility study regarding reopening of the line.

Currently the journey from Northampton to Leicester - depending on changes takes approximately 100 minutes.

The restoration of a direct route going via Market Harborough would surely be far shorter.

Knowing the published timetable would be very helpful.

Thank you
Drew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Others on here may be able to correct me, but I believe that regular scheduled passenger services between Northampton and Market Harborough were withdrawn way back in the 1950s, after which the line was retained until 1981 for freight, charter passenger services and engineering diversions.

I remember travelling over it Southbound behind a class 45 loco on the diverted Derby-St Pancras overnight service on a Saturday night/Sunday morning in the late 1970s....and arriving at Euston instead of St Pancras.

From what I could see in the darkness, the intermediate stations looked very derelict, with only a few of the signal boxes still in use.

Gloster

Established Member
The 1949 timetable shows trains taking around thirty-five minutes, depending on stops; even the couple of non-stops take over half-an-hour.

It gives the distance as 18 miles, so with a plausible line speed of 60 mph, allowances for acceleration and braking, plus pathing and recovery time, you probably aren’t going to get much change out of twenty-five minutes, while you might have to add a couple of minutes to that if you can’t maintain 60 mph. (This presumes my recollections and my maths are up to scratch.)

jfollows

Established Member

Attachments

• Northampton to Leicester 1955.pdf
    641 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
Does anyone have a pre 1981 British Rail timetable for Northampton to Leicester return journey via Market Harborough? The railway line was closed in 1981. We are having a public meeting on September 30th 2-4pm Quaker House, Northampton to seek funds for a feasibility study regarding reopening of the line.
Currently the journey from Northampton to Leicester - depending on changes takes approximately 100 minutes. The restoration of a direct route going via Market Harborough would surely be far shorter. Knowing the published timetable would be very helpful.
Thank you
Drew
The regular passenger train service ceased 4 January 1960, so no timetable is available from thence to 1981 when the line shut completely. As has been pointed out in other posts, an overnight sleeping car train traversed the route in the 1970s, but I don't think this included an advertised stop at Northampton.
After closure to regular trains, the rail route from Northampton to Market Harborough would have been via Wellingborough (until 1964) or Rugby (until 1966). After this, via Birmingham and Leicester was probably the only practicable route [the Rugby-Nuneaton service being infrequent]. Most passengers would have used the 312/316 of the United Counties bus company, or for Leicester journeys, the frequent express coach service by the same company.

midland1

In the late 60s early 70s there used to be an unadvertised 01.40 Euston to Nottingham News Paper train. Northampton dep. 02.53 Leicester 03.52.I knew someone who caught it, on a Midland Rover found himself at Northampton after midnight with no trains anywhere but staff told him of this train so he got a train home to Leicester. even got a morning paper:D

jfollows

Established Member
In the late 60s early 70s there used to be an unadvertised 01.40 Euston to Nottingham News Paper train. Northampton dep. 02.53 Leicester 03.52.I knew someone who caught it, on a Midland Rover found himself at Northampton after midnight with no trains anywhere but staff told him of this train so he got a train home to Leicester. even got a morning paper:D
Nothing in the 1966 timetable, but then 6/3/67 to 5/5/68 indeed:
1D26 01:40 News Euston to Nottingham Carrington St., E600 Euston to Northampton 02L46.5 to 02:54 pass Kelmarsh 03/22. Also 3N16 04:20 Parcels Didcot-York MX 06:25 from Northampton and 3D26 Parcels to Nottingham Midland SX 21:00 from Northampton.
1D26 returned as 3A21 06:15 ECS Nottingham Carrington St. to Willesden Jn., Northampton 10:00 - 10:12, E600 and 1A21 from Northampton.

Magdalia

Established Member
3N16 04:20 Parcels Didcot-York MX 06:25 from Northampton
3N16 was a refugee from the Great Central and would have been routed via Northampton from September 1966.

Currently the journey from Northampton to Leicester - depending on changes takes approximately 100 minutes.

Other refugees from the Great Central were 3 summer Saturday trains in each direction going via Market Harborough and Northampton in summer of 1965 only. These called at Leicester and had crew stops at Northampton. Running time between the two was 63-70 minutes.

nw1

Established Member
Had no idea this link survived into the 80s.

A shame it closed, and well after Beeching too - with a bit of vision, I can see this route could have been an alternative InterCity route linking Milton Keynes/Northampton with Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield - arguably perhaps more useful than the MML in terms of the places it passes through.

In 1981 there would have been plenty of spare fast WCML paths, too.

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
Had no idea this link survived into the 80s.

A shame it closed, and well after Beeching too - with a bit of vision, I can see this route could have been an alternative InterCity route linking Milton Keynes/Northampton with Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield - arguably perhaps more useful than the MML in terms of the places it passes through.

In 1981 there would have been plenty of spare fast WCML paths, too.
As has been discussed before on the forum, the line had two single track tunnels with limited clearances, which (at the time of closure) would have required window bars on the carriages, plus no clearance for any possible future electrification. There were also two main road level crossings on the route.
The original plan was to reroute the MML fast services into Euston, close St Pancras and run the suburban services from Kettering to Moorgate. So not an alternative, but instead of. With hindsight, probably best that wasn't done.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The 21.00 Euston -Glasgow and 22.50 Glasgow - Euston, which ran via this route, don't seem to have been mentioned. The down service was shown as 'sleeping cars Northampton - Glasgow' and the return 'sleeping car berths not available for passengers travelling between Glasgow and Euston'. It was introduced to enable St Pancras sleeping car depot to be closed. It ceased around 1969 - 1970; I pointed out to the TUCC that a closure notice ought to be provided for the Northampton - Market Harborough line when it was withdrawn (they hadn't done that) but I can't remember if that delayed its demise but certainly the standard format TUCC Closure Notice was posted at Northampton, so it closed twice.. An interesting train to travel on, as it reversed at Nottingham and Leeds and ran via the G.S.W. and possibly an unusual route around Paisley

The route was also used by specials from Derbys/Notts/South Yorks to Wembley for the stadium in the late 60s - I particularly remember specials for the schoolgirls' hockey finals changing traction at Northampton No 4 for some reason.

If there was serious disruption on the Midland Main Line up Peak-hauled trains would also be diverted via the route, certainly until 1969 if not later.

It was said at the time that the original passenger service was withdrawn (1960) because of pathing - Kelmarsh to Market Harborough was particularly busy with not only empty mineral wagon trains but also ex L.N.W.R. bankers returning down the bank. In those days much of B.R. was a freight railway - that's where the revenue was.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
As has been discussed before on the forum, the line had two single track tunnels with limited clearances, which (at the time of closure) would have required window bars on the carriages

That's not so - I've travelled in a Mk1 sleeper hauled by a Brush 4 (see above). It didn't have window bars!!!

Sorry failed to merge with previous post.

D6130

Established Member
single track tunnels with limited clearances, which (at the time of closure) would have required window bars on the carriages, plus no clearance for any possible future electrification. There were also two main road level crossings on the route.
.....and I travelled over the route on the diverted Peak-hauled Derby-St Pancras overnight after a railtour in 1978. There were definitely no window bars on the Mark 1 stock then.

RT4038

Established Member
That's not so - I've travelled in a Mk1 sleeper hauled by a Brush 4 (see above). It didn't have window bars!!!

Sorry failed to merge with previous post.
For local trains running at times that people might have put their heads out! BR took a risk then - imagine that now!

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Single track tunnel bores are not intrinsically of limited loading gauge. There's no reason why the L.N.W.R. would have built the Kelmarsh tunnels to a more restrictive loading gauge than, for example, the Linslade down fast or up slow ones. The latter seems to work ok...

grove

Anyone know the outcome of the 30 September meeting (in summary)?

Drew Crayolist

Does anyone have a pre 1981 British Rail timetable for Northampton to Leicester return journey via Market Harborough? The railway line was closed in 1981. We are having a public meeting on September 30th 2-4pm Quaker House, Northampton to seek funds for a feasibility study regarding reopening of the line.
Currently the journey from Northampton to Leicester - depending on changes takes approximately 100 minutes. The restoration of a direct route going via Market Harborough would surely be far shorter. Knowing the published timetable would be very helpful.
Thank you
Drew
Thank you for your helpful comments. Under an FOI request in early September we obtained an unknown interim 2020 Network Rail Report which demonstrated that reopening the railway was not only entirely feasible, but gave a journey time of Leicester to Northampton with 3 stops at under 35 minutes. (The present 2023 timetable is between 90-110 minutes so this would be a gamechanger regarding commuting). It also gave a fully engineered solution to restoring the trackbed at Market Harborough. The report did not estimate passenger or freight numbers and is out of date. The report needs updating, competing and inclusion within the wider strategic review of the South Northamptonshire railways given capacity issues on th WCML.
This should be helpful.

I obtained a copy of a 1941 timetable from Mr Sim Smith of Rail News. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1961. If all all members who live within the Northamptonshire and Leicestershire could contact their MP's and ask this report be updated, completed and included within the forthcoming strategic review, that would be very helpful. I have personally met Mr Andrew Lewer MP for Northampton South and he ha pledged his support.

Finally, last Saturday's meeting was a great success and further such meetings are planned. I would be very happy to discuss further. Thank you for your support.

Attachments

• Northampton to Market Harborough 1941 LNS timetable.jpg
    Northampton to Market Harborough 1941 LNS timetable.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 18

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I suspect that starting a discussion about yet another line reopening in the Northampton area, here in the memorabilia sub-forum, probably isn’t going to be seen by many members.

I see there was a speculation thread earlier this year:

Something called the English Regional Transport Association ERTA seems to have been mentioned.

The phrase used in an early reply there was “barking at the moon”… :D

Merle Haggard

Established Member

Absolutely, I agree; but possibly the thought of connecting Milton Keynes and Northampton directly by rail with Leicester may not seem quite so outrageous when you look at some of the schemes both proposed, and actually being carried out, - but obviously villages in Devon and North Wales (to name but 2 examples - I'm spoilt for choice!) have soooo much more rail potential :D

grove

None the less, someone at Network Rail or DfT sanctioned the expense of evaluating the route as recently as 2020. The fact that it came up with a positive outcome is interesting too as it's always possible to 'adjust' the report for the desired outcome. Episodes of "Yes Minister" are still very instructive in this point.

SargeNpton

Established Member
In the mid-1970s that was, briefly, an early morning passenger service from Northampton to Leicester, which was just a BSK attached to the end of the parcels train. Advertised by means of a poster at Northampton station.

I think that its purpose was to demonstrate the lack of demand for a passenger service priory to the line being downgraded to freight use only.

As a Northampton resident, I think that any feasible prospect of reopening has disappeared. Market Harborough station was straightened out a while back, wiping out where the junction was; in addition to a supermarket and a housing estate obliterate much of the track bed south of the station.

Though I suppose a new alignment north of Braybrooke could link it up with the MML south of Market Harborough.

A0wen

On Moderation
In the mid-1970s that was, briefly, an early morning passenger service from Northampton to Leicester, which was just a BSK attached to the end of the parcels train. Advertised by means of a poster at Northampton station.

I think that its purpose was to demonstrate the lack of demand for a passenger service priory to the line being downgraded to freight use only.

As a Northampton resident, I think that any feasible prospect of reopening has disappeared. Market Harborough station was straightened out a while back, wiping out where the junction was; in addition to a supermarket and a housing estate obliterate much of the track bed south of the station.

Though I suppose a new alignment north of Braybrooke could link it up with the MML south of Market Harborough.

Bit in bold:

But it would be infintely easier (and cheaper) to either run a train from Northampton - Crewe which would allow for a connection to Leicester at Nuneaton, or pay Stagecoach some money to run a "fast" coach service using high spec vehicles (to either Harborough / Leicester or Kettering to connect with the train), if there is genuinely a need to improve Northampton - Market Harborough / Leicester connectivity.

grove

Bit in bold:

But it would be infintely easier (and cheaper) to either run a train from Northampton - Crewe which would allow for a connection to Leicester at Nuneaton, or pay Stagecoach some money to run a "fast" coach service using high spec vehicles (to either Harborough / Leicester or Kettering to connect with the train), if there is genuinely a need to improve Northampton - Market Harborough / Leicester connectivity.
I have seen integrated coach services work well in Italy. They use them for off-peak services to maintain an hourly schedule, routes to places without a railhead and also as a pick-up from intermediate stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.