• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Server Space, a plea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
I'm not sure if anyone out there uses their own servers for websites and what not.... But if anyone does could I borrow some for a Proxy I have made for school? I understand Proxies take up a lot of bandwidth but this will be used by about 4 - 5 of us with passworded accounts so the bandwidth won't be high at all.
Not sure if anyone would want a fee, but if it's reasonable I will happily pay one if needs be.

Ta.... :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
I'm not sure if anyone out there uses their own servers for websites and what not.... But if anyone does could I borrow some for a Proxy I have made for school? I understand Proxies take up a lot of bandwidth but this will be used by about 4 - 5 of us with passworded accounts so the bandwidth won't be high at all.
Not sure if anyone would want a fee, but if it's reasonable I will happily pay one if needs be.

Ta.... :)

Presumably you wish to avoid a school filter and all the obvious free proxy sites have been blocked. I highly doubt anyone here both has their own server and would be willing to let it own in this way given that bandwidth is a premium and liabilities would be incurred so you're looking at someone installing a script on a shared server if such script is allowed and sacrificing their bandwidth, for which I imagine they'd like quite a bit a month.

Could you not download the offending websites onto a USB drive for later reading?

Andy

Presumably you wish to avoid a school filter and all the obvious free proxy sites have been blocked. I highly doubt anyone here both has their own server and would be willing to let it own in this way given that bandwidth is a premium and liabilities would be incurred so you're looking at someone installing a script on a shared server if such script is allowed and sacrificing their bandwidth, for which I imagine they'd like quite a bit a month.

Could you not download the offending websites onto a USB drive for later reading?

Hi,

Also, i think people will be very reluctant to offer their own web servers for hosting a proxy, as the filters that most schools use, will just block the domain, and the server IP address, to stop students access them, so it would block the persons own website, aswell as your proxy.

Thanks

Andy

David

Established Member
I've got 2 websites, and there is no way in hell I'll let someone setup a proxy on them.

Not only is it likely to get my sites blocked, but anything illegal that goes through the proxy, makes me liable.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can you set one up to only allow selected URLs e.g. railforums.co.uk ? I don't know. If so people may be more willing.

But you do risk getting your domain categorised as a proxy site which will make it blocked even more.

A lot of places block all sites categorised as forums but if you ask the tech support people nicely they may allow forums that are clearly not in any way harmful, particularly if you can argue there is educational content (could you be doing an essay on split ticketing for example?! ;))

Established Member
A lot of places block all sites categorised as forums but if you ask the tech support people nicely they may allow forums that are clearly not in any way harmful, particularly if you can argue there is educational content (could you be doing an essay on split ticketing for example?! ;))

When I was at school they didnt block Railforums :).

you could wait a year untill your at College, they dont have blocks or filters AFAIK.

Geezertronic

Established Member

Yeah the standard software that people use has a filter exclusion system where you can define sites to be excluded from filtering whilst still blocking all other sites. So if this site was to be excluded from the filter, I presume www.railforums.co.uk and www.railforums.org.uk would have to be added.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Ooo eck! :oops: Sorry folks didn't realise some of the reasons. A few of us have already by passed the school filters by using another browser (FF, Flock, Minefield) and selecting No Proxy, it bypasses the filters but we can't get flash player to work, we've tried quite a lot of things and it won't work. Our IT department is very lame but it is still fun to get one over on them by going on Facebook at what have you...

Currently using Flock but convinced them it's Firefox so they block that instead

Once again, sorry folks!

:oops:

Nick W

Established Member
Sounds like a very incompetent IT department. Please tell me they have at least prevented booting from external drives so that the computers and any confidential data can't be compromised.

It sounds like in your case you can just download all the swf files at hope and keep them on your desktop. Make sure you run with IE

Ooo eck! :oops: Sorry folks didn't realise some of the reasons. A few of us have already by passed the school filters by using another browser (FF, Flock, Minefield) and selecting No Proxy, it bypasses the filters but we can't get flash player to work, we've tried quite a lot of things and it won't work. Our IT department is very lame but it is still fun to get one over on them by going on Facebook at what have you...

Currently using Flock but convinced them it's Firefox so they block that instead

Once again, sorry folks!

:oops:

Aussie_Rail

In my experience people set up proxies so they can join forums under new identities because they were banned from a said group?

What exactly are your intentions for this proxy?

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
In my experience people set up proxies so they can join forums under new identities because they were banned from a said group?

What exactly are your intentions for this proxy?

If I wanted to do so, I would've done that already as on a private proxy made by a mate who won't let others access.

Just to bypass school filters but we can do that, just can't get flash player to work!

ukrob

Established Member
I've got 2 websites, and there is no way in hell I'll let someone setup a proxy on them.

Not only is it likely to get my sites blocked, but anything illegal that goes through the proxy, makes me liable.

+1.

I have a server with many websites on and there is no way I would allow what is being asked. I think it is unlikely you will find anyone I'm afraid.

Tom B

Established Member
Why do you want to bypass the filters, anyway? Surely you have a connection at home you could use?

Any facility which is provided by your employer or educational institution will have terms attached to it, which usually are to the effect that it is provided for reasons connected to your studies or employment.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
+1.

I have a server with many websites on and there is no way I would allow what is being asked. I think it is unlikely you will find anyone I'm afraid.

That's completely fine, I didn't realise some of the stuff anyway.

Cheers for the replies and apologies for what appears to be a silly request!! :lol:

Ben

Stop wasting your education on silly stuff and do some work! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.