• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Service reported as being busy"

Master29

Established Member
Anybody who knows the route expects these trains to be on/off very busy. It’s been an ongoing issue since the route became what it is today with the launch of the Express timetable over 35 years ago.
You're right but that still doesn't mean disgruntled passengers shouldn't complain about it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
You're right but that still doesn't mean disgruntled passengers shouldn't complain about it.

Of course it doesn’t but can’t see much changing. Some supposedly extended services from today but we all know they’ll be hit/miss and reduced length in any times of disruption or stock shortage.

that1pepfan

On Moderation
As per the attached photo, for some time now the screens at Sheffield station have featured the text "service reported as being busy" below certain services, predominantly EMR trains to and from Liverpool. My question is, what is the intending traveller supposed to do with this information?

Do they decide not to board this train, instead catching a later one that could be just as busy but will also mean they arrive later at their destination? And surely if the previous service was busy, this one will be too? Or should they board the "busy" train anyway, resigning themselves to having to stand for a journey of nearly two hours?

Either way it seems another example of the railway giving passengers information they don't need to know that only creates doubt and uncertainty as to whether they will be able to complete their journey.

What do you think?
Some people might be claustrophobic which causes them to have a panic attack, so that can alert them before that could even happen.

Adrian1980uk

Of course it doesn’t but can’t see much changing. Some supposedly extended services from today but we all know they’ll be hit/miss and reduced length in any times of disruption or stock shortage.
Better to run a consistent service and enhance when stock and train crew are genuinely available, rather than pushing to the limit and as soon as the wind blows the wrong way it get cancelled or short formed

johntea

Established Member
I saw a message on a bus departure screen yesterday "Services may be delayed due to rush hour traffic" :D

WAB

I saw a message on a bus departure screen yesterday "Services may be delayed due to rush hour traffic" :D
That one is a classic in West Yorkshire. And it's the same trips each day which run very late or get pulled each day - at what point would it be better to just have a timetable that reflects reality?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
That one is a classic in West Yorkshire. And it's the same trips each day which run very late or get pulled each day - at what point would it be better to just have a timetable that reflects reality?
Yes oh yes. They are not dealing with the problem just putting out a cop out for something so consistent.

If it's been a problem for 35 years, then not complaining is clearly not working.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Along these lines, what does "full and standing" actually mean? I thought it meant it was crush loaded to the point that nobody would get on, but I've seen it displayed for trains far quieter than that lately.

Sheridan

Along these lines, what does "full and standing" actually mean? I thought it meant it was crush loaded to the point that nobody would get on, but I've seen it displayed for trains far quieter than that lately.
I just assumed it was whatever the guard took it to mean. Related to that, does this reporting happen for DOO trains, and if so who would do it? Or are most DOO services on relatively frequent services where a full and standing train wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy?

Krokodil

Established Member
"Full and standing" could mean one person standing or 100 people standing. Only way to know more than that is to look at the dwell times - the more wedged a train is the longer the dwell - or when the Control logs record how many passengers were physically unable to board. Quite a common occurrence around here.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I just assumed it was whatever the guard took it to mean. Related to that, does this reporting happen for DOO trains, and if so who would do it? Or are most DOO services on relatively frequent services where a full and standing train wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy?
Load sensors on the 700s I suspect.

Adrian1980uk

Load sensors on the 700s I suspect.
I assume that if 9 out of 10 carriages showing as full would mean full and standing from a driver's point of view (assuming the 10th carriage is showing fairly full, if it wasn't then the sensor is faulty you'd think)

trainophile

Established Member
I never knew trains had load sensors. So when TfW tell people "we wouldn't run a train if it was unsafe" after complaints of overcrowding, they are actually using real information? Or is it only some Classes that have them?

Would be ironic if a 70 seat coach had 40 passengers with three heavy cases each, so loads of seats available but it triggered the "full and standing" reading!

Krokodil

Established Member
I never knew trains had load sensors. So when TfW tell people "we wouldn't run a train if it was unsafe" after complaints of overcrowding, they are actually using real information? Or is it only some Classes that have them?

Would be ironic if a 70 seat coach had 40 passengers with three heavy cases each, so loads of seats available but it triggered the "full and standing" reading!
Pendolinos have load sensors and have to run at a reduced speed if vehicles are overloaded because the tilt won't work.

I believe that 80x also use load sensors. 197s meanwhile count passengers on and off through the doorways, but the results will be either accurate or hilariously off the chart with nothing in between.

dk1

Veteran Member
Pendolinos have load sensors and have to run at a reduced speed if vehicles are overloaded because the tilt won't work.

I believe that 80x also use load sensors. 197s meanwhile count passengers on and off through the doorways, but the results will be either accurate or hilariously off the chart with nothing in between.
We have load sensors on Stadlers in East Anglia but nobody passengers or staff seem to pay any attention to them.