• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Acton and Kensington both have many underground stations with their name in them serving them.

Schnellzug

Established Member
A perhaps lesser know Acton is Iron Acton, which might sound like a superhero but is actually a village in South Gloucestershire about 2 miles (3 km) west of Yate.

Ivo

Established Member
A second-successive personal one: The St Pancras area of London is also a place where something went wrong for me a couple of weeks ago <(

I promise to not relate the next one to me.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Also based in Perth is popular multimodal transport empire Stagecoach, one of whose smaller branches must be the Island Line, which runs from Ryde to Shanklin in the Isle of Wight.

Ivo

Established Member
Subject to who you are with or around, you might hear the first syllable of Shanklin being used as a "hint" (obviously not actually a hint; not sure how to describe it) at various locations around the country, such as Sandwich.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
And back, again, to the Essex coast (which is, admittedly, extremely lengthy)

Why say "next (to) the sea" in English when you can say it in Latin?

Where? Bradwell-juxta-mare

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Another place that features a Latin influence in its name is Ivo's favourite place Weston-super-Mare. :)

Ivo

Established Member
[insert sigh here]

From Super Mud to Swanage. There is a regular incorporated open top bus service in both locations, although I think WsM's may be summer-only.

(By this I mean it would appear in a standard timetable and is not part of City Sightseeing or similar.)

Ivo

Established Member
Bournemouth has three?! Ouch! How much do they cost to repair?

Swansea also has a Quadrant Shopping Centre.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Bournemouth and Poole are in their own administrative area, as is Brighton and Hove.

gg1

Established Member
I think we're on Swansea now, so....

The film Twin Town was set in Swansea and is often referred to as a Welsh version of Trainspotting, which was set in Edinburgh.

Schnellzug

Established Member
The second Battle of Dunbar (1650) was one of the final actions in the English Civil War, or as it is popularly known these days, the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, owing to the fact that Scotland and Wales were involved as well. Any road up, the last action of all was the Battle of Worcester (1651), exactly a year after the battle of Dunbar, after which Charles II hid up a tree. :p