• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I can't find a reference to a settlement called Oakbank near to Perth, but the latter was the last home of the broadcaster Desmond Carrington (23 May 1926 – 1 February 2017) who was best known for his weekly evening show, "The Music Goes Round", on BBC Radio 2. His show aired for 35 years, from 1981 until his final broadcast on 28 October 2016. Desmond was born in Bromley, Kent. (I wonder what happened to "Golden Paws" Sam? I hope he's still okay!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The author and artist Beatrix Potter (1866–1943) spent her early life in Bolton Gardens, South Kensington. She married William Heelis on 15th October 1913 in London, and the couple moved immediately to Castle Cottage, Near Sawrey, Furness, Cumbria.

johnnychips

Established Member
Virginia Water has the most expensive house prices in the UK outside Greater London. One of the most expensive settlements in the north-west of England is Prestbury, in the 'Cheshire Golden Triangle'. However, I doubt any contributors to this thread will have any knowledge of this area.

:)

cjp

Lacking an appearance by young Paul I offer another place within the same golden triangle about which that well known organ Cheshire Life writes "Alderley Edge is not just expensive homes and fancy restaurants, there is some fantastic walking terrain for everyone to enjoy."

johnnychips

Established Member
Alderley Edge has a famous Wizard - there is a pub of that name; also see the novels of Alan Garner. But Carmarthen's name is supposed to mean 'the castle of Merlin', of Arthurian legend.