• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ripon (16,702) is the third smallest city on England by population. The smallest is the City of London (7,375) and the second smallest is Wells in Somerset with 10,536. (Note: these figures are at 2011)

LUYMun

Wells is on the southern edge of Mendip Hills, a place of natural beauty. Chew Stoke is on the northern edge.

cjp

The Chew joins the River Avon at Keynsham.
I admit to being old but whenever I hear of Keynsham I think of Horace Batchelor even if I cannot remember what he was selling on Radio Luxembourg

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

DerekC

Established Member
Porthmadog and Tremadog share the "madog" part of their names but it is not clear whether this after Madoc ap Owen Gwynedd, a Welsh prince who is said to have sailed to America in about 1170, or (more prosaically but more likely) William Madocks, an English agricultural improver who built the cob mentioned in the previous post.

LUYMun

James Wharton (born 1984) is a Conservative MP for Stockton South (which includes Eaglescliffe and Stockton-on-Tees) between 2010 and 2017.