• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Killingworth in Northumberland also has concrete hippos identical those in Glenrothes (by the same artist and using the same mould; on Garth 22).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Killingworth has an Australian namesake, in the New South Wales coalfield: named after the Northumbrian town because of the coal-mining connection. Ballina, Co. Mayo, also has a namesake settlement in New South Wales -- this has so far as I know, no mineral (or hippo) relevance :smile:.

DerekC

Established Member
The City of Galway also has a "Salmon Weir Bridge", but the two structures are very different. Galway's was built of stone in 1818 and carries vehicular traffic, whereas Ballina's is a cable stayed lightweight structure built in 2009 to carry pedestrians.

Calthrop

Established Member
Perhaps a little surprisingly -- the names of Melrose, and Great Malvern (Worcestershire) would seem likely to be linguistically related: there being sometimes a closer correspondence, especially "way back", between the Welsh / Breton, and Gaelic, strains of Britain's old languages; than one generally expects. These two settlements have in common, the Old Welsh / Ancient British / Brythonic "m-word" signifying "bare" or "bald". Malvern from moel-bryn = "bare hill"; Melrose from mailros = "bare peninsula" -- referring originally to the old site of Melrose, founded some 1,500 years ago on a neck of land by the River Tweed, several miles east of the present town.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Quatford is located on the A442, just south of the town of Bridgnorth; to the north of the same town, also on the A442, lies the village of Sutton Maddock.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ditton Priors lies in the shadow of Shropshire's highest hill, Brown Clee (1,770 feet above sea level). Berkshire's -- and indeed south-east England's -- highest hill is Walbury Hill (974 feet); nearest village to it is Combe, south of Hungerford.

Calthrop

Established Member
Kirby Muxloe, Leicestershire -- just west of Leicester -- also has a pub called the Royal Oak.

Calthrop

Established Member
Must not -- will not -- mention A.E. Housman :E ... Ludlow has a namesake settlement in California -- with what seems to me marvellous incongruity, in the Mojave Desert. Waterford also has a Californian namesake: this one further north, on a level with San Francisco.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Irish poet, author and patriot William Butler Yeats (1865 -- 1939) lived for a considerable period of time in Howth; people however tend to associate him particularly with County Sligo, especially the mountain Benbulbin in that county: nearest settlement, Grange.

Calthrop

Established Member
Stranorlar and neighbouring Ballybofey lie on opposite sides of the River Finn, and are dubbed "the twin towns". Ballybofey is in fact the larger of the two.

Calthrop

Established Member
Fintown is in an area of Ireland, where the Irish language survives today as a birth-speech. The same applies to Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry.

DerekC

Established Member
Pity - I was just about to avoid mention of the Fintown Railway, said to be the only narrow gauge line surviving in Ireland, but I have been gazumped! And Mrs C wants me to take her out!! Therefore I pass!

Calthrop

Established Member
There would seem to be around Tallaght, a profusion of watercourses feeding variously into the Dublin area's Liffey / Dodder river system. One of these is called the Fettercairn Stream. Whether any kind of link, or just coincidence -- Fettercairn is also the name of a village in Aberdeenshire -- some way north of Montrose and Brechin.

Calthrop

Established Member
Re Ellon, I always think of the local newspaper -- the Ellon Times, nicknamed the "Ellon Squeak". Idiosyncratically-named local papers: fondness felt for the Keswick Reminder: referred to as "the gentlest of newspapers" -- not into controversy and muckraking: just, about local benign doings and scheduling thereof.