• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
St Oswald's Church, Oswestry was first mentioned in the 1085 Domesday Book and a tithe document in Shrewsbury the same year. It is Grade II* listed, having a tower dating from late 12th or early 13th century and later additions particularly in the 17th and 19th centuries. There is a new window in the east nave, designed by British stained glass artist Jane Grey in 2004. Another of her many works is to be found in St Peter’s Church is situated in the valley, village and civil parish of Martindale in Cumbria.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martindale is home to the oldest native red deer herd in England. On that theme of long-established beasts, Chillingham in Northumberland has a famous herd of wild cattle.

DerekC

Established Member
The next bus from Callerton Hall bus stop (which seems to be about the only other thing in High Callerton) is the 08:58 tomorrow morning. It's running on Tynedale Link route 74 and will take you to Hexham.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Colchester has a long history as a military base, and the Colchester Garrison is currently the Regimental HQ of the Parachute Regiment.

The 2nd and 3rd Battalions of The Paras are also based in Colchester, whilst the 4th Battalion is based in Pudsey, West Yorkshire.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Colchester suffered comparatively poorly in the First World War, losing some 1,248 in the conflict. As early as 1918 prominent voices in the town were calling for a war memorial, and a committee was set up to decide the form of the monument, with several practical schemes favoured by the working class of the town. The committee decided on a sculptural monument and, following a visit to the Royal Academy's War Memorial Exhibition, the sculptor Henry Charles Fehr was chosen to undertake the work, for which he was paid £3,000. The memorial, which was dedicated in 1923, consists of three human figures on a sculptural pedestal. The figures are of Saint George, an allegorical representation of peace and the Goddess Nike. Henry Fehr was responsible for many memorials in the UK; two years previously, he had designed one in Grange Gardens, Grangetown, Cardiff. This is similar to the statue in Colchester, except that it does not have the statues on the base.

Calthrop

Established Member
Quoting verbatim from Wiki: the name of the fictional Welsh town of Pontypandy, where children's television programme Fireman Sam is set, is a portmanteau of Pontypridd and Tonypandy (Rhondda Cynon Taf).

Calthrop

Established Member
In 1942 the then Minister for Economic Warfare, Hugh Dalton, visited Shildon; including addressing the population on the need to work harder and consume less (I'll bet that went down well). Dalton (1887 -- 1962) was born in Neath (County Borough of Port Talbot Neath).

Calthrop

Established Member
Twinning with settlements in what might be called "the southern Americas": Aberystwyth is twinned with Esquel, Argentina (a place -- whisper it here ! -- of 2ft 6in. gauge rail renown). Coventry (West Midlands) is twinned with Kingston, Jamaica.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Macclesfield is the secondary setting of the fantasy novels "for kids of all ages" The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner (born 1934, still going strong). These novels haven't come my way, but they're "well spoken of". Garner was born in nearby Congleton, Cheshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
In the era of Roman Britain: the settlement at the present location of Northwich, was called Condate. That at present location of Bowness-on-Solway, Cumbria -- was Uxelodunum or Axelodunum.

On my sole (so far) visit to Bowness, I was surprised to find a friendly pig belonging to the owners ambling about the King's Arms pub. Another pub with (in 2015 at any rate) a pet pig is The Conquering Hero in West Norwood, London.

Calthrop

Established Member
On my sole (so far) visit to Bowness, I was surprised to find a friendly pig belonging to the owners ambling about the King's Arms pub. Another pub with (in 2015 at any rate) a pet pig is The Conquering Hero in West Norwood, London.

All stuff in which P.G. Wodehouse would have revelled !

There is situated in West Norwood, the Mrs. Woodford Fawcett Fountain -- commemorating this lady, a local temperance campaigner in time gone by (and of course, supplying uncontaminated drink of a non-alcoholic kind). Another ardent campaigner against alcohol and its abuse, was Father Theobald Mathew (1790 -- 1856), who founded and guided an Ireland-wide total-abstinence movement. He was born near Golden, Co. Tipperary -- nearest town, Cashel.

Four-legged friends seem to have featured in a few of my my recent entries and this is no exception. Golden, though small, boasts a 'dog cafe', though I have not been able to ascertain whether it caters for dogs or has friendly dogs on the premises (see cat cafes). There is a dog cafe with a menu for dogs (as well as one for humans) called Wags & Whiskers in Stockton on Tees.

The Lancastrian Edward, Prince of Wales, was captured and killed by Yorkist troops in the 1471 Battle of Tewkesbury (the only post-Edward I Prince of Wales to meet such a violent end). He was born in 1453 at the Palace of Westminster.

And I now know what a mop fair is!

Last edited:
Richard 'Beau' Nash (1674-1762) was arguably the founder of modern British upper-class manners. A Cambridge University student, army officer and lawyer, he became master of ceremonies (arbiter of fashionable behaviour) at Bath and then later and simultaneously (the seasons were different) at Tunbridge Wells. He was born in Swansea.

Calthrop

Established Member
Swansea has the tallest building in Wales: the Tower, Meridian Quay. The tallest building in the island of Ireland would seem to be the Obel Tower in Belfast.

One of Upper Norwood's many celebrated residents was Joseph Paxton (1803-65), among other achievements designer of the Crystal Palace (which was moved to Upper Norwood after its stint in Hyde Park). He was born in the Bedfordshire village of Milton Bryan.