• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement of £1,433 for travelling with an out of date railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadgetMan

ie he may have assumed she never had a railcard. She did but said 'no' as she had realised it was out of date

Maybe this was where the confusion has come from.

She told the inspector she didn't have a Railcard as opposed to telling him it had expired.

The TIL offer may assume she's never held a Railcard so ALL previous tickets in her purchase history were invalid, where as her expired Railcard may validate the majority of those.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nanstallon

Maybe this was where the confusion has come from.

She told the inspector she didn't have a Railcard as opposed to telling him it had expired.

The TIL offer may assume she's never held a Railcard so ALL previous tickets in her purchase history were invalid, where as her expired Railcard may validate the majority of those.
Does she still have the old railcard, or evidence of its purchase, such as a credit card statement?

LouRf

hi all , just to update we settled for 1/3rd of the original demanded.
TIL did not seem to read her letter of explanation/apology/mitigation and continued at first on the same track.
It was a different person who took up the case than the first letter.
The communication by TIL was aggressive, no attention to detail and bordering on harassing.
Anyway sorted now.

TIL must have looked at the OP'S booking history and found other tickets within the time frame of the railcard expiring
Chiltern railways over phone, National rail and Trainline online search said £74.90 Anytime of day single fare.

Does she still have the old railcard, or evidence of its purchase, such as a credit card statement?
there is no mystery to her case.
She sent her railcard photos , 2019, 2020 (which they had already referred to anyway but then forgot) and the newly renewed 2021.

It would seem that way, but any advice we give should only be based on the information that the posters have provided. If @LouRf is presenting a full and complete statement of the facts the either (a) their daughter has misinformed them; or (b) TIL has made an all-mighty cock-up.

If they are 100% sure that (a) does not apply then I cannot advise accepting the settlement offer.
Its the latter

Naja, agree but since the episode is very stressful to a conscientious young person with little life experience this is why their input raises concern
They behave like a common debt collector i think.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
They behave like a common debt collector i think.

Well yes. Regardless of how many of us disagree about how they go about their business, one of the main aspects of their business is debt recovery.

najaB

Veteran Member
hi all , just to update we settled for 1/3rd of the original demanded.
That is a bit on the high-side but, as others have said, it may represent money well spent if a potential criminal conviction would be an issue.
The communication by TIL was aggressive, no attention to detail and bordering on harassing.
Not the first time that we've heard that about TIL. :(
Anyway sorted now.
That is the important thing in the end.

mmh

Established Member
Well yes. Regardless of how many of us disagree about how they go about their business, one of the main aspects of their business is debt recovery.
And one of the problems on here is there are any number of people willing to comment who haven't had any experience of the debt collection world.

I'm glad the OP's reached a conclusion, but I'd, and anybody else surely, would think it's disproportionate.

LouRf

Yes . i advise anyone to not be afraid or intimidated by TIL and to request info back detailing the amount they are chasing.
They need to do much better if the case really reached a magistrate or it looks a joke. Its not kangaroo courts in Uk. Lol.

Darandio

Established Member
And one of the problems on here is there are any number of people willing to comment who haven't had any experience of the debt collection world.

I'm glad the OP's reached a conclusion, but I'd, and anybody else surely, would think it's disproportionate.

In this particular case I completely agree.

LouRf

In terms of debt collectors im sorry to say i have used one. They promised much but were so useless, that in end i had to sue them. I got the money back that they charged me for their services winning my case.

mmh

Established Member
Quite. They know that going to court is expensive for them, and also for the people they're intimidating who want to avoid it. Lovely business model, just like every such company.

Status
Not open for further replies.