• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

settlement of £2422 for discounted tickets over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dee.monae

I'm assuming you didn't have professional representation at this interview. In which case, if you were very open they likely have a large amount of information that would be of use to them in a prosecution. It also seems fairly apparent that they would have put some effort into working out the settlement figure- so I agree it's unlikely they will agree to reduce it.

I hope this goes without saying, but you've been caught twice now. You need to make sure you don't get caught a third time.

I'm assuming you didn't have professional representation at this interview. In which case, if you were very open they likely have a large amount of information that would be of use to them in a prosecution. It also seems fairly apparent that they would have put some effort into working out the settlement figure- so I agree it's unlikely they will agree to reduce it.

I hope this goes without saying, but you've been caught twice now. You need to make sure you don't get caught a third time.
Were you accompanied by a solicitor at this interview? Were you placed under caution?
Yes i was placed under caution and i did not have any professional representation, looking back i wish I did as they will probably use things against me

Yes most definitely, I have gotten a railcard and have been using this In the interview i made them aware of this and they acknowledged it also.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes i was placed under caution and i did not have any professional representation, looking back i wish I did as they will probably use things against me
Well it is too late now but attending an interview under caution and answering questions without representation is not usually going to attend well.

In light of this I would recommend paying the settlement as soon as possible.

dee.monae

Well it is too late now but attending an interview under caution and answering questions without representation is not usually going to attend well.

In light of this I would recommend paying the settlement as soon as possible.
May I ask the reason for this please?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
May I ask the reason for this please?
The company has secured, without much effort, extensive admissions from you which you did not have to give.

If you stay silent, the company normally prosecutes you for one offence (the time you were caught, for which they have extensive evidence) and then may try to make a large compensation claim in the magistrates' court to go along with your sentence. That large sum can be challenged in court by your solicitor - even if it is just the court duty solicitor. The solicitor can ask "How have you worked that out, please?" "Do you have any evidence the accused travelled on all of these tickets you've presented the court in this big file?" and so on. Even if it doesn't get to court, a solicitor may still be helpful in negotiating an out of court settlement down.

However, your freely given admission prevents this from happening in a meaningful way, and I recommend paying the settlement if avoiding court is a priority for you.

Iskra

Established Member
The company has secured, without much effort, extensive admissions from you which you did not have to give.

If you stay silent, the company normally prosecutes you for one offence (the time you were caught, for which they have extensive evidence) and then may try to make a large compensation claim in the magistrates' court to go along with your sentence. That large sum can be challenged in court by your solicitor - even if it is just the court duty solicitor. The solicitor can ask "How have you worked that out, please?" "Do you have any evidence the accused travelled on all of these tickets you've presented the court in this big file?" and so on. Even if it doesn't get to court, a solicitor may still be helpful in negotiating an out of court settlement down.

However, your freely given admission prevents this from happening in a meaningful way, and I recommend paying the settlement if avoiding court is a priority for you.
To be fair, having a solicitor and going through all the processes you have described cost significant time and money.

£2k doesn't seem that bad a value to just make the problem go away.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Others will elaborate but the settlement figure has been calculated based upon the train company's losses and will include costs and probably a victim surcharge

If a settlement has been offered to keep this out of court and avoid a criminal record, then you need to think very seriously about how you're going to raise the money quickly.

Ask family/friends, can you earn some pocket money?

dee.monae

Others will elaborate but the settlement figure has been calculated based upon the train company's losses and will include costs and probably a victim surcharge

If a settlement has been offered to keep this out of court and avoid a criminal record, then you need to think very seriously about how you're going to raise the money quickly.

Ask family/friends, can you earn some pocket money?
I do not want to be a burden to anyone, so i am currently working 2 jobs to raise the money

nanstallon

If I were you, I'd pay the settlement offered, to avoid having a criminal conviction, but I would want to be certain that this would then draw a line under the past so that no other TOC could take action against you. Safest bet may be to get a quick loan from friends/ family (not a loanshark) in order to meet the deadline.

If you really can't raise the full amount by the deadline, they may be amenable to an extension of time, but only if you pay a substantial amount by the deadline. They won't want your case 'on their books' for ages. A chat on the phone (be careful you don't blurt out any more about the past than you have already done), may sort it out, but don't come across as stroppy. I'm afraid they have the upper hand.

dee.monae

If I were you, I'd pay the settlement offered, to avoid having a criminal conviction, but I would want to be certain that this would then draw a line under the past so that no other TOC could take action against you. Safest bet may be to get a quick loan from friends/ family (not a loanshark) in order to meet the deadline.

If you really can't raise the full amount by the deadline, they may be amenable to an extension of time, but only if you pay a substantial amount by the deadline. They won't want your case 'on their books' for ages. A chat on the phone (be careful you don't blurt out any more about the past than you have already done), may sort it out, but don't come across as stroppy. I'm afraid they have the upper hand.
Will definitely take this on board thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.