• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Tunnel Closure (02/05 Evening)

Just noticed that the Severn Tunnel is completely closed to rail traffic according to GWR JourneyCheck - sounds pretty severe with water running down walls and a safety inspection that has no estimated timescale for completion currently.

Hopefully this isn't too big a problem as the XC/TfW diversion via Cheltenham does add quite a bit of time, not at least with the overcrowding issues!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Just noticed that the Severn Tunnel is completely closed to rail traffic according to GWR JourneyCheck - sounds pretty severe with water running down walls and a safety inspection that has no estimated timescale for completion currently.

Hopefully this isn't too big a problem as the XC/TfW diversion via Cheltenham does add quite a bit of time, not at least with the overcrowding issues!
Water running in the cess, some courses of bricks dislodged and part of the cableway is under water according to reports.

D1537

Paddington -S Wales services have been going "round the block" for a few hours now. If it is an extended closure, then presumably we will see buses between Parkway and Newport.

Similar to the arrangements for the June closure.

• Trains between London and South Wales will use a different route between Swindon and Newport – not stopping at Bristol Parkway and extending journey times.
  • Trains between Cardiff Central and Portsmouth Harbour will run between Bristol Parkway and Portsmouth Harbour instead. Trains between Cardiff Central and Taunton/Penzance will run between Bristol Temple Meads and Taunton/Penzance instead.
  • No trains will stop at Patchway or Pilning.
  • Replacement buses are planned between Bristol Parkway and Newport. If you wish to avoid using a replacement bus, you can use your ticket to travel via Gloucester or Cheltenham Spa using CrossCountry or Transport for Wales services.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topological

A bit awkward for those on the Welsh side, but good to see diversions for the Westbound trains. The 22:49 from Paddington is going to be a very long journey to Swansea tonight.

Hopefully, they will be able to sort the problem reasonably quickly. The diversions do help, but Bristol to Cardiff is a big gap to have in the route.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I've no idea frankly - that's how it was phrased and I simply quoted verbatim.

'"Up line ONLY should be given back with all trains at extreme caution'"
As a driver not sure I'd fancy going into a long underwater tunnel at extreme caution only!

One day I suspect there be an economic case for redoing the tunnel with a brand new bore. There may already be one...

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've no idea frankly - that's how it was phrased and I simply quoted verbatim.

'"Up line ONLY should be given back with all trains at extreme caution'"

Normally means 5mph in practice I find.

geoffk

Established Member
According to RTT, 1B34 PDN - Swansea and 1F32 Portsmouth - Cardiff are through the tunnel, both on time.

vicbury

As a driver not sure I'd fancy going into a long underwater tunnel at extreme caution only!

One day I suspect there be an economic case for redoing the tunnel with a brand new bore. There may already be one...
Or strengthen the case for a Lydney - Sharpness road and rail bridge, particularly given the lack of the resilience of the M48 Severn Bridge too?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Or strengthen the case for a Lydney - Sharpness road and rail bridge, particularly given the lack of the resilience of the M48 Severn Bridge too?
Yes fair point, should have said replacement with a River Severn crossing and not specified tunnel!

Sly Old Fox

Would be jolly useful. But who’s going to pay for it? They couldn’t keep the one they had 60 years ago, they’re certainly not going to pay for a new one.

Signal_Box

Good luck finding that phrase anywhere in the Rule Book.

I use extreme caution to emphasis that I want the driver to travel at no more than walking pace, general caution id suggest is circa 15-20mph although you know there is no speed attached to caution.

Unless you can see an immediate risk or come across one, you’ve not much choice in the matter. It would of been examined by minds much more enlighten than ours, so we carry out their instructions.

As for a new tunnel bore, no chance. The opportunity was lost when the second bridge was built, I understand there was a concept of a road up top, with rail underneath bridge.

Again no chance, you’d need to build a whole new alignment both sides of the river and north and south cords on the Berkeley side to be of any use at all.

Would be jolly useful. But who’s going to pay for it? They couldn’t keep the one they had 60 years ago, they’re certainly not going to pay for a new one.

The original one was restricted to 15mph and a very limited axle loading, not to mention the slow speed approaches from Lydney and Berkeley, oh and the single track crossing.

The original bridge wasn’t particularly useful even back in the day, once Severn tunnel opened the bridge was on borrowed time even before “that faithful night”

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
The M48 is the secondary route, until the newer M4 bridge is being closed as a regular occurance it isn't an issue.

The Puddock

I use extreme caution to emphasis that I want the driver to travel at no more than walking pace, general caution id suggest is circa 15-20mph although you know there is no speed attached to caution.
Personally I have never liked people saying it - I’d far rather the pway or structures examiner reopens the line with a definite ESR (even if it’s 5mph) than leaving it up to the interpretation of each individial driver for an unofficial term that isn’t defined in the Rule Book. One driver may feel that ’extreme’ caution is 1mph while another might feel that 30mph is ok, or they may not pick up on what you mean or even not hear the word at all.

Signal_Box

Personally I have never liked people saying it - I’d far rather the pway or structures examiner reopens the line with a definite ESR (even if it’s 5mph) than leaving it up to the interpretation of each individial driver for an unofficial term that isn’t defined in the Rule Book. One driver may feel that ’extreme’ caution is 1mph while another might feel that 30mph is ok, or they may not pick up on what you mean or even not hear the word at all.

I get that, I do ensure they gasp the gravity of the situation when I feel it’s required for extreme caution.