• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shack Attack 2024

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A breakneck jog down the hill?
Not quite. A walk all the way from Liskeard to Causeland (passing Coombe and St Keyne en route!) Before joining at Causeland and riding to Coombe Jct.
When we requested Coombe to the guard she said "No need to check your tickets, you must be on a Rover or a Ranger to want to go there!"
Then the slog UPHILL. But there was plenty of time for that!

birchesgreen

Established Member
13/04 (all LU)

Ladbroke Grove
Royal Oak
Latimer Road
Westbourne Park
Goldhawk Road
Shepherds Bush Market

aftv

13/04/24
National Rail

Hayes and Harlington
West Drayton
West Ealing
Castle Bar Park
South Greenford
Greenford
Wimbledon (National Rail)

LU
Paddington (both Bakerloo and Circle and Hammersmith & City Line)
Embankment
Monument
Morden
Wimbledon (District Line)

The exile

Established Member
13 Apr 2024

Thorne South
Thorne North
Adwick
Crossflatts
Bingley
Apperley Bridge
Micklefield
Silkstone Common

UK Total: 2477

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
14/04/2024

A somewhat eclectic route back from Oxford to Rochdale produced the following:
Charlbury
Coleshill Parkway
Stone

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Wednesday 10th April
Lelant Saltings
Perranwell
Penryn
Pemere
Causeland
Coombe Junction Halt
St Germans
St Budeaux Victoria Road

Thursday 11th April
Lympstone Village
Lympstone Commando
Newcourt
Newton St Cyres
Lapford

Friday 12th April
Quintrell Downs
Bugle
St Columb Road

Saturday 14th April
Pilning

Looks great this, and a few I have on my list for a few days down in that area in a couple of months time.

Monday 15th April
From Cornwall to Scotland on our Marathon Trip, which incidentally, we have entitled "The Extremities Explorer"!

Portlethen
Kintore
Keith
Insch
Elgin
Nairn
Forres

Bezza49

May I ask the rules on "ticking off a station".

Do you have to board/disembark/both for it to "count"?
Can you quickly get on and off the same train for it to count?
Do you have to spend a certain amount of time there?
Any other "rules" ?

Genuinely interested in how this works.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member

Any other "rules" ?

No formal rules as such, but general consensus is that you have to either arrive or depart (not necessarily both) by train. Arriving, getting off and getting back on the same service doesn't count, although there is no objection to catching the same individual unit from a terminus when it forms the next return service going in the other direction. You can also catch a bus or walk between stations to save waiting around for the next service.

The exile

Established Member
No formal rules as such, but general consensus is that you have to either arrive or depart (not necessarily both) by train. Arriving, getting off and getting back on the same service doesn't count, although there is no objection to catching the same individual unit from a terminus when it forms the next return service going in the other direction. You can also catch a bus or walk between stations to save waiting around for the next service.
Would concur with this in general. I set my rule of thumb as “would a ‘normal’ passenger have a reason for using the station as I did?”. So boarding, alighting and changing trains are always legit (a normal passenger might even go straight back the way they’d come if they were on the wrong train). I’d count reboarding the same service as ok if it were done under instruction from rail staff but not otherwise - unless the station dwell time were so long that normal passengers might get off to stretch their legs (quite common on continental branch lines - longest one I’ve met was about 90 minutes - but same train number throughout!)

birchesgreen

Established Member

Any other "rules" ?

My broad rule is whether i can stand on the platform or not, preferably having arrived by train though occaisionally i have walked to a close-by station if thats quicker than waiting for a train (when i went to Hope i also walked to Caergwle as an example).

Bezza49

Interesting.

Did those "All The Stations" people I've seen do it this way. I find that incredible if they got off at every single station and waited for another service. Certainly if I attempted to do this, my version would be get off, run to the station sign, take selfie photo, run back onto the train before the doors close. Probably quite a challenge in itself!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Interesting.

Did those "All The Stations" people I've seen do it this way. I find that incredible if they got off at every single station and waited for another service. Certainly if I attempted to do this, my version would be get off, run to the station sign, take selfie photo, run back onto the train before the doors close. Probably quite a challenge in itself!
Geoff and Vicki didn't do that, they just travelled on trains scheduled to stop at each station, though did physically visit a lot of stations too. There have been lots of people who have physically visited every station though, a number on this forum.

I'm personally up to 491 stations so a way to go...

My rule is that I alight/board a scheduled public service making a normal public stop. Railtours don't count.
Stand by for a further update from the Highland Main Line later!

Tuesday 16th April
Day 2 of our 8/15 Spirit of Scotland Travelpasses..
Muir of Ord
Beauly
Carrbridge
Blair Atholl
Dunkeld and Birnam
Dalwhinnie

Tuesday 16th April
Day 2 of our 8/15 Spirit of Scotland Travelpasses..
Muir of Ord
Beauly
Carrbridge
Blair Atholl
Dunkeld and Birnam
Dalwhinnie

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
18/04/2024
(Using up the third day of validity on a 3-in-7 Heart of England rover)
Lapworth
Gobowen
Wellington

Up to 1469 NR stations, time for Henry VI to make his comeback...

Andy Pacer

Established Member
20/04/24

Anerley
Birkbeck
Caledonian Rd and Barnsbury
Canada Water
Dalston Junction
Gipsy Hill
Gospel Oak
Haggerston
Honor Oak Park
Hoxton
Kentish Town West
North Dulwich
Rotherhithe
Shadwell
Shoreditch High Street
Wapping
Worcester Park

Saturday 20th April
Georgemas Junction
Invershin
Culrain
Kinbrace
Ardgay

A warning to any potential Shack Scratchers who still may need Thurso and Wick; and who may be thinking of catching a bus between them. The Bus Service (Stagecoach 82) has been rather cut back since my last visit there (when it was roughly hourly) and is now down to 2 or 3 per day. We had to resort to a Taxi. Worth checking before you Travel!

Also, if you are reasonably nimble on your Feet, it is is possible to alight from the 1234 ex Wick at Invershin and walk across the Bridge to Culrain for the next one back North (They cross at Ardgay). Google maps says 16 min walk and you offically have 13 mins but we made it in about 9!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Also, if you are reasonably nimble on your Feet, it is is possible to alight from the 1234 ex Wick at Invershin and walk across the Bridge to Culrain for the next one back North (They cross at Ardgay). Google maps says 16 min walk and you offically have 13 mins but we made it in about 9!
That's really useful to know, thank you! Been looking at ways of getting '2 for the price of 1' on that line so will bare this example in mind.

That's really useful to know, thank you! Been looking at ways of getting '2 for the price of 1' on that line so will bare this example in mind.
No worries
Also remember you need to push the request stop button when you get to Culrain. Thats why we made haste there as we didn't want to be too late and risk the oncoming train being 'past the point of no return' (if you like!) and not actually stop (or be forced into a Full Brake application!)

KT550

Sat 20 Apr. 2024

Honeybourne
Pershore
Ashchurch
Cheltenham Spa
Cam and Dursley
Yate
Bristol Parkway