• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shanghai - anything of railway interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimbleshanks

I'm off on a work trip to Shanghai next week. While my time there will be very limited, is there anything of railway interest to see in the downtown area?

I know about the Maglev link from Pudong Airport - I'm hoping it'll be our means of transport into town. And I do have a railway museum marked on my map, but I probably won't be able to go there during its opening hours.

Anything else of interest that would be visible to a casual visitor, either in the early mornings or evenings?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Midlandman

The maglev line is a pretty impressive ride, especially when the two trains pass. (They slow to "only" 350kph or so to lessen the shock wave. Be advised, though, that the 'downtown' terminus is not very conveniently situated. As for heavy rail trains, Shanghai Central now has only slow and overnight services while the 'bullet trains' to Beijing and other places leave from Shanghai North, even further from the centre than the maglev terminus.

Shimbleshanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just heard that Lufthansa pilots are planning to strike at the critical period so I may not be going after all...

Established Member
A 3-day Shanghai Metro tourist card is excellent value at around £3.50 (30 yuan). Be prepared to be stood up a lot. All stations use X-ray security gates, so expect to hand your baggage to the police & staff as you enter the system gates.

People's Square station is amazing to watch in peak hour, with literally swarms of people to-ing and fro-ing from line to line.

Definitely worth a walk along the bund waterfront and up the Pearl Tower. Have fun :)

Midlandman

No you don't. Last year we did it just for the experience as part of our trip, just rode the maglev from the city end to the airport and back. We didn't even get off at the airport. Incidentally, what had been the rear vehicle then became the front on our return journey. The driver/operator was a tiny girl who looked about 15! She entered the cab and left the door wide open, and had no objection to a couple of us taking photos of the cab.

johnnychips

Established Member
Thanks everyone, went on it. Great value for about £9 return. It didn't seem to flash past like I thought it would, but this is due to 'decelerating glass' windows as explained in the excellent free museum at the Shanghai end. Recommended.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As for heavy rail trains, Shanghai Central now has only slow and overnight services while the 'bullet trains' to Beijing and other places leave from Shanghai North, even further from the centre than the maglev terminus.

There isn't a Shanghai North station. There hasn't been one since the old North station became freight only in 1987 after the passenger terminal moved to the East station (which subsequently became Central station) and it is now only a freight depot.

Hongqiao station which I suspect is what you described is much closer to the city centre than the Maglev terminal.

A 3-day Shanghai Metro tourist card is excellent value at around £3.50 (30 yuan). Be prepared to be stood up a lot. All stations use X-ray security gates, so expect to hand your baggage to the police & staff as you enter the system gates.

Tell them to bugger off. (That's what I normally do.) If you look foreign they shouldn't even bother you the slightest.

People's Square station is amazing to watch in peak hour, with literally swarms of people to-ing and fro-ing from line to line.

My advice to anyone who wants to travel around during rush hour is "don't". Crushing loads everywhere. Outside these hours though some lines can be extremely empty.

Thanks everyone, went on it. Great value for about £9 return. It didn't seem to flash past like I thought it would, but this is due to 'decelerating glass' windows as explained in the excellent free museum at the Shanghai end. Recommended.

They had special optical treatment to reduce dizziness and nausea amongst some passengers.

Did you get a ride on the tram, and did you manage to catch sight of the new trolleybuses?

johnnychips

Established Member
Did you get a ride on the tram, and did you manage to catch sight of the new trolleybuses?

No I didn't have that long there and went to the other tourist sites like the Bund and the Pearl Tower.

What was annoying was that I found myself unable to buy the day tickets for the Metro as the station machines didn't sell them - but that's probably because I didn't know where to ask. Even big stations didn't seem to have conventional ticket offices so I was a little confused (take note Boris), but it didn't really matter as most fares are about 3 or 4 kwai (30 or 40 pence).

As for security, if you are carrying a rucksack or large shopping bag, it passes through a scanner on entry to the network where a staff member may or may not look at their screen and it is returned immediately.

I was surprised at how long the dwell times were at the Metro stations, which are gated on the platform to enter the train like the Jubilee Line. Comparable systems like our own dear Tube seem much more efficient.

Oh - and owing to a misunderstanding of names, I didn't pay enough on my first journey in the city. The barrier wouldn't let me out, so I went over to the lady who sign-languaged I was one kwai short - she gave me a ticket for that when I paid her, and it did let me out. I don't know if this is general policy or she was being nice to a tourist, but no £80 penalty fare!

If you are thinking of going to China, Shanghai really is a must-see if you can only go to one place. Just about better than Beijing (but the pandas there are more numerous in the zoo).

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What was annoying was that I found myself unable to buy the day tickets for the Metro as the station machines didn't sell them - but that's probably because I didn't know where to ask. Even big stations didn't seem to have conventional ticket offices so I was a little confused (take note Boris), but it didn't really matter as most fares are about 3 or 4 kwai (30 or 40 pence).

They don't sell them at the machines. They (24-hour/72-hour "rangers") are only sold at ticket windows (read "booths" rather than "offices") which all stations should have at least one in each concourse and must be staffed from first service to the last. They are not easy to find though. Machines only sell single tickets iirc.

As for security, if you are carrying a rucksack or large shopping bag, it passes through a scanner on entry to the network where a staff member may or may not look at their screen and it is returned immediately.

They are mainly in their late 40s onwards and were laid off en mass from state-owned factories from the mid-1990s onwards. No-one would employ them due to whole industries collapsing and oversupply of labour in the unskilled sector. It threatened social stability because suddenly they could not feed their family. As a compromise the city government created lots of fringe jobs for them on the understanding that they would get a living wage, but they would not be expected to do much either.

I would be surprised if a terrorist is ever caught by that process. They provide a presence, and can be helpful if you are in need, but aside from that I doubt they achieve very much.

I was surprised at how long the dwell times were at the Metro stations, which are gated on the platform to enter the train like the Jubilee Line. Comparable systems like our own dear Tube seem much more efficient.

Lines 1/2/3 are still not gated in certain areas, but platform gates have been a compulsory requirement since the construction of Line 5 (built before Line 4) due to the number of suicides in the earlier years of operation.

Dwell times are longer partly because schedules are drawn up to cater for large-ish crowds at many stations throughout the day, and partly because of the limitations on the signal infrastructure (not entirely sure about the details as it's not really my area of expertise).

Did you notice that the driver has to leave his cab at every station? That also contributes to it. I don't know why they do that, presumably to make sure that it was all clear before departure I would imagine. (Hello, mirrors!)

Oh - and owing to a misunderstanding of names, I didn't pay enough on my first journey in the city. The barrier wouldn't let me out, so I went over to the lady who sign-languaged I was one kwai short - she gave me a ticket for that when I paid her, and it did let me out. I don't know if this is general policy or she was being nice to a tourist, but no £80 penalty fare!

There are Penalty Fares, 50 kuai iirc, but only for when you jump the gates and travel without a ticket. All you have to do if you override is to make up the difference in fare and you will be on your way.

If you exceed the maximum journey time, which at last check was 3 hours but may have increased since the expansion a few months ago, you will simply get an exit error and be referred to the customer service window, where in addition to the single fare for the journey made, an additional fare equivalent to the lowest single fare in the system, currently 3 kuai, will be deducted/charged. There is none of this palava of deducting two maximum cash fares.

If you are thinking of going to China, Shanghai really is a must-see if you can only go to one place. Just about better than Beijing (but the pandas there are more numerous in the zoo).

I know. I spent half of my childhood there (so I should probably declare my conflict of interest here). It really is an amazing place. Both Shanghai and Beijing are places which I think should be visited at least once in anyone's life. Shame about the smog and pollution, which is much worse in Beijing, so yeah, if I am forced to choose just one, I know which one I would go for. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.