• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield to Macclesfield journey: no itinerary offered on booking engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlevel42

I want to get from Sheffield to Macclesfield as early as possible on a Saturday in the near future.

Officially I can get there for 07:20.

There is a service to Manchester Airport from Sheffield at 03:25 via Huddersfield and Manchester Piccadilly. There is a connection at Piccadilly for Macclesfield arriving 06:20.

I cannot buy a ticket for Macclesfield or Manchester Piccadilly for this service.

It arrives in Manchester Piccadilly at 04:54 and passengers can get on.

If I had a Off-Peak return Sheffield to Manchester Airport and a similar Manchester Piccadilly to Macclesfield ticket would I be alright to change at Piccadilly? I would return via Stockport not Piccadilly.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To edit the title: click the Edit button, then click 'Go Advanced'

You can't get a through fare for this journey on any booking site, because the rail industry have chosen not assign any mapped routes which cover the route taken by the 0325 service, for this flow.

And there is no easement allowing it (the focus seems to be on negative 'easements' these days).

In practice, you will be allowed to use a through Sheffield to Macclesfield ticket. Or you can use a combination of Sheffield to Manchester, plus Manchester to Macclesfield, if you prefer.

The new version of Trainsplit is the only site I know of that will retail fares for this itinerary.

neilmc

Don't see anything about an "unadvertised stop" for this train for 8 July, in fact there are cheap £5 advances available Sheffield - Manc Picc according to National Rail Enquiries. But when I change the destination from Manchester to Macclesfield the whole option disappears for that train.

Looks an obvious split-ticketer.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Advances there and back actually work out at the same price or more expensive than the Off Peak Return, which at £23.50 is alright value for money, and would most likely be accepted without question.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't see anything about an "unadvertised stop" for this train for 8 July, in fact there are cheap £5 advances available Sheffield - Manc Picc according to National Rail Enquiries. But when I change the destination from Manchester to Macclesfield the whole option disappears for that train.

Looks an obvious split-ticketer.
That's right; the rail industry does not permit the use of one through fare for a Sheffield to Macclesfield journey on these trains.

Concequently only NRE and Trainsplit will offer itineraries (and only the latter will actually sell tickets for it).

It is surprising how common it is that the rail industry will not offer a through fare for a sensible non-overtaken itinerary. This isn't a one-off.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Advances there and back actually work out at the same price or more expensive than the Off Peak Return, which at £23.50 is alright value for money, and would most likely be accepted without question.
yes; although not permitted by the rules enforced by booking engines, it would be accepted by a TPE Guard who would apply a common sense approach.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Heads-up for the OP - if the trip is 8th July, it is the weekend of the Northern Rail extended industrial action. There may be no train to catch.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
That's right; the rail industry does not permit the use of one through fare for a Sheffield to Macclesfield journey on these trains.

Concequently only NRE and Trainsplit will offer itineraries (and only the latter will actually sell tickets for it).

It is surprising how common it is that the rail industry will not offer a through fare for a sensible non-overtaken itinerary. This isn't a one-off.

Out of curiosity, off the top of your head can you give any other examples?

Seems pretty absurd!

John @ home

Established Member
the rail industry does not permit the use of one through fare for a Sheffield to Macclesfield journey on these trains.
off the top of your head can you give any other examples?
Travelling from Doncaster to Manchester Victoria after 12:00 today, the earliest arrival and shortest journey is:
  • 1221 Doncaster - Mirfield 1255
  • 1306 Mirfield - Huddersfield 1318
  • 1330 Huddersfield - Stalybridge 1349
  • 1408 Stalybridge - Manchester Victoria 1424.
No through tickets are available for this journey because Doncaster - Manchester tickets are routed "via Sheffield" or "via Leeds". This shortest journey passes through neither, so National Rail Enquiries suggests instead:
  • 1242 Doncaster - Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly 1403
  • walk or Metrolink to Manchester Victoria arriving 1435. (Metrolink fare to be paid separartely)
For travel by the shortest route, I would recommend using Doncaster - Stalybridge and Stalybridge - Manchester Central Zone tickets. The latter includes validity on one Metrolink journey in each direction within Metrolink Central Zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.