• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shipley to Birmingham International

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have been doing a little research but would like to check with the oracles that what I have come up with so far is the most effective and cheapest.

Travel Shipley-Birmingham International Day Return on Sat 24 Nov (going to Warley Model Rail show, not sure if that is important!), 2 adults, no railcards (not eligible either :( )
Initially looking at buying day returns SHY-SHF, SHF-DBY, DBY-BHM, BHM-BHI, and was wondering if there were any clever routing easements that might make things even cheaper?

All contributions very welcome!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I have looked up Leeds to New St for a friend before with splits at Sheffield and Derby and it almost halves it for an Anytime. Partly because the through ticket is available as a period return only, so there's tons of unneeded validity. There probably are other splits but I'll let others put forward suggestions, but you won't go far wrong with straight splits and no one can argue with them :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh, also consider looking at a split at Wakefield Westgate as that can sometimes help being in the WY area

John @ home

Established Member
Initially looking at buying day returns SHY-SHF, SHF-DBY, DBY-BHM, BHM-BHI
Splitting an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) Derby - Birmingham International at New Street adds to the cost, so a more effective set of splits is:

Shipley - Sheffield route Not Via Doncaster CDR £11.10
Sheffield - Derby CDR £10.30
Derby - Birmingham International CDR £16.00
Total £37.40

If you can guarantee that the 2 Adults will travel together in both directions, 30p each can be saved with:

Shipley Yorks - Sheffield route Not Via Doncaster CDR £11.10
Group Derbyshire Wayfarer £20 = £10.00 each
Derby - Birmingham International CDR £16.00
Total £37.10

The Derbyshire Wayfarer can be bought on the day at Sheffield station or ordered in Advance from the County Council on 01629 536735.

If you can guarantee that you can use the trains departing Shipley at 0613, 0739 then 16 minutes to an even hour, and those departing Birmingham International at 22 minutes to an odd hour, both of which connect into trains calling at Burton-on-Trent, a further £1.10 each can be saved with:

Shipley Yorks - Sheffield route Not Via Doncaster CDR £11.10
Group Derbyshire Wayfarer £20 = £10.00 each
Burton-on-Trent - Birmingham International CDR £14.90
Total £36.00

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.