• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shirley to Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclops

Taking advantage of the London Midland 50% off peak discount this Saturday, Shirley to Crewe, gives me a price of £11-05. Yet, Shirley to Chester, via Crewe is £8-55... further but cheaper. I'm not complaining but would love to know the reasons why. Any thoughts ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Wrong Info Given.

For your question why is it cheaper, this is why the UK's ticketing system is weird and confusing :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It looks like you are comparing an Off Peak Return (SVR) with an Off Peak Day Return (CDR). Of course, there should be a CDR to Crewe, but there isn't, and as it's not a protected fare, they don't have to have one. I guess the Birmingham to Crewe flow (including related stations) is considered a 'premium' flow as it's along a main line, and therefore they don't want people to be using CDRs.

I could give many examples of where it is cheaper to pay to go further and then to finish "short", but I won't because it would give the TOCs a list of potential anomalies to remove. Their idea of removing anomalies is generally to increase the lower fares, rather than to 'do the right thing'. In fact, I have such a list but it only gets shared with people I've met, so as to not risk getting into the TOCs hands ;)

cyclops

Thanks for that. I was aware such anamolies existed, but not aware how prevalent they were. Nice to benefit from our ridiculously complicated fares structure.

Smethwickian

Taking advantage of the London Midland 50% off peak discount this Saturday, Shirley to Crewe, gives me a price of £11-05. Yet, Shirley to Chester, via Crewe is £8-55... further but cheaper. I'm not complaining but would love to know the reasons why. Any thoughts ?

Different operators set the fare, and have differing policies as to how far they will offer day returns. ATW still offers them all the way from the West Midlands to North Wales coast, and Cambrian Coast stations, too - for example, off-peak day return Birmingham Stations to Holyhead £44.40.

I'm surprised you're getting £8.55, though (but yes, I've just got that too from LM site, with timings via Crewe), as I thought that fare was now only valid via Shrewsbury. I seem to recall another thread on this forum which revealed there were now two sets of fares for Birmingham area to Chester - one via Shrewsbury and a (now more expensive) Any Permitted ?? When you book, I'd hang onto a printout of the intinerary from the LM site, in case it's queried.

cyclops

Thanks. One final question. Would Shirley to Chester via Crewe be valid via Rugely TV rather than via Wolverhampton?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks. One final question. Would Shirley to Chester via Crewe be valid via Rugely TV rather than via Wolverhampton?

Yes, but only via Perry Barr - Walsall - Rugeley - Stafford. See Map MW.

Status
Not open for further replies.