• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've been in London today. Seems TfL have finally given up on "You are strongly advised to wear a face covering blah blah". Just a couple of discrete electronic posters suggesting "You can wear a face covering if you wish, if it allows to travel with confidence".
A lot of the covid stuff seems to have been replaced with equally tiresome adverts abiur staring and groping being offences. I suppose Khan jis addicted to lecturing the public.

More of that usual conflation of guidance and law which we've seen a lot of over the past few years by the sounds of it. Groping is an offence but staring, while it may be unpleasant, is not an offence.

There is an article on the front of the York Evening Press that says that for anyone attending/visiting York hospital, masks are mandatory unless you can prove you have an exemption. Does anyone know how you can prove you have an exemption?

I've fortunately not had to go near healthcare facilities much over the past few years, but the common approach when I have done seems to be to demand muzzles and make no mention of exemptions, but (in most cases) not challenge it if someone says they are exempt or refuses. I emailed one service and pointed out that their authoritatian website banner was very offputting and they made no mention of exemptions. A month later they responded saying they were just telling people what to expect (and ignored the point about exemptions).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was in London yesterday and at Euston heard an automatic announcement along the lines "We recommend you wear a mask" with "if this makes you more confident to travel" in a lower volume.

trebor79

Established Member
I've fortunately not had to go near healthcare facilities much over the past few years, but the common approach when I have done seems to be to demand muzzles and make no mention of exemptions, but (in most cases) not challenge it if someone says they are exempt or refuses.
I've been in my doctor's a few time sto collect prescriptions. They want everyone to wear masks. Most do but nothing is said to anyone who doesn't.
I went into a pharmacy last week with a big sign saying masks are compulsory but all the staff were bare faced and so were all of the customers.

Cdd89

Established Member
I was in London yesterday and at Euston heard an automatic announcement along the lines "We recommend you wear a mask" with "if this makes you more confident to travel" in a lower volume.
Yes I’ve noticed this too.

My local station says “Please wear a face covering at all times on all TfL services and stations unless exempt, if this helps you travel with confidence”.

My local station says “Please wear a face covering at all times on all TfL services and stations unless exempt, if this helps you travel with confidence”.

The whole bit about being 'exempt' is misleading - there is no mandate or rule, so you cannot be 'exempt'. Clearly designed to put the pressure on!

MikeWM

Established Member
I've been in my doctor's a few time sto collect prescriptions. They want everyone to wear masks. Most do but nothing is said to anyone who doesn't.
I went into a pharmacy last week with a big sign saying masks are compulsory but all the staff were bare faced and so were all of the customers.

I was at my GP surgery yesterday for the first time in a year. No idea if masks were 'mandatory' or not - the phone line says to wear one if you want to and/or have respiratory symptoms, but the TV in the waiting room was showing a message saying it was mandatory.

In any event, I didn't have one of course, and nothing was mentioned. Every other patient was wearing one though :rolleyes: as were all the staff, apart from one.

At least at some point in the last year they've dropped the nurse on the door using one of those utterly useless forehead thermometers to determine whether you're allowed in or not, which is some progress I guess.

At least at some point in the last year they've dropped the nurse on the door using one of those utterly useless forehead thermometers to determine whether you're allowed in or not, which is some progress I guess.

Presumably anyone who had to walk quickly to make the appointment, or who had cycled there, would have been ruled out by the thermometer!

greyman42

Established Member

Why do they use the word "confidence" in these announcements?
What is it you are supposed to be confident about?

Eyersey468

Established Member
Why do they use the word "confidence" in these announcements?
What is it you are supposed to be confident about?
Presumably they mean confident one won't catch Covid. Doesn't matter about any other disease as the last 2 years have shown.

greyman42

Established Member
Presumably they mean confident one won't catch Covid. Doesn't matter about any other disease as the last 2 years have shown.
Their confidence would be mis-placed as we are all going to catch it and you are right about the last two years.

trebor79

Established Member
I agree we are all going to be exposed to Covid at some point
Already have. It was a bad (but not worst I've had) cold for a few days. I'd have gone to work if it hadn't been illegal.
Wife had it and was basically asymptomatic.
Eldest son had it and was also just a bad cold for a couple of days.
I don't give could a second thought, not worth worrying about.

greyman42

Established Member
Already have. It was a bad (but not worst I've had) cold for a few days. I'd have gone to work if it hadn't been illegal.
Wife had it and was basically asymptomatic.
Eldest son had it and was also just a bad cold for a couple of days.
I don't give could a second thought, not worth worrying about.
Completely agree. That's why i have no time for this "travel with confidence" rubbish.

greyman42

Established Member
The “travel with confidence” was the government’s half-arsed and soon-aborted attempt to get people back to work in July 2020.
Pretty well summed up but i just wonder why they still persevere with the pathetic statement.

Pretty well summed up but i just wonder why they still persevere with the pathetic statement.

Wonder how many people avoided travelling because they didn't have the confidence to put up with the aggressive mask-bullying from some railway staff and transport police?

bramling

Veteran Member

Presumably for the same reasons as some of the other stuff - clumsily designed and clumsily implemented government policy, with there never being a defined objective of said policy properly communicated to everyone.

It was the same time as those two cringeworthy voices were being used for station PA messages. On a related note, thank goodness Tesco’s have ditched their similarly cringeworthy PAs.

Enthusiast

Just spoken to my nephew who returned from a trip to the Maldives a few days ago. Flew with Emirates from Heathrow via Dubai. Masks required throughout (except when eating or drinking). Medical certificates required for those claiming exemption. Apparently his Gin & Tonic took eleven hours to consume! :D:D

trebor79

Established Member
Wow. Just read that Emirates website. Apparently they think it's still March 2020 as they've removed newspapers and magazines, FGS. Also recommend wearing gloves! And mask mask mask all the time.
Needless to say I shall not be flying with Emirates. Pity, they used to be good.

Doctors, as in GPs, seem to have a policy of not doing much nowadays, including seeing patients.

Yes indeed! They also mostly seem to be part time, and even if you actually manage to contact one (normally by phone as tbey don't like actually seeing people) it'll be a different one every single time.

102 fan

Just spoken to my nephew who returned from a trip to the Maldives a few days ago. Flew with Emirates from Heathrow via Dubai. Masks required throughout (except when eating or drinking). Medical certificates required for those claiming exemption. Apparently his Gin & Tonic took eleven hours to consume! :D:D

When I was younger, a rule saying masks to be worn except when eating or drinking would of been in a comedy script. I think its an absurd and downright b****y silly idea, in the same arena as the 'masks to be worn at all times except while seated' nonsense.

The sad thing is there are people who can't or won't see the futility.

Philip

On Moderation
Wonder how many people avoided travelling because they didn't have the confidence to put up with the aggressive mask-bullying from some railway staff and transport police?

Some might see it as 'mask-bullying', but before vaccines arrived many people were understandably worried about getting the virus and regardless of how well or not masks prevented others from infection, they were seen as a protective measure to some degree by the majority of people.

Someone who joined a train without wearing a mask 2 years ago would've made others feel uneasy and so you could argue it was an unwritten responsibility of railway staff or whoever else to insist people complied with the rules at the time for this reason alone. And of course it made a lot of people angry seeing someone or a group of people not following the rules if they didn't have an exemption, because at the time it was a national effort against the virus.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Some might see it as 'mask-bullying', but before vaccines arrived many people were understandably worried about getting the virus and regardless of how well or not masks prevented others from infection, they were seen as a protective measure to some degree by the majority of people.

Someone who joined a train without wearing a mask 2 years ago would've made others feel uneasy and so you could argue it was an unwritten responsibility of railway staff or whoever else to insist people complied with the rules at the time for this reason alone. And of course it made a lot of people angry seeing someone or a group of people not following the rules if they didn't have an exemption, because at the time it was a national effort against the virus.
Yes indeed as you pointed out it was about them having to follow the rules and being jealous of someone who either didn’t have to or had the balls not to.

Since when were TOCs put in charge of feelings? I thought this was public transport, whenever anyone have a dislike of other passengers before we were told well it’s public transport if you don’t like it get private transport.

Philip

On Moderation
Yes indeed as you pointed out it was about them having to follow the rules and being jealous of someone who either didn’t have to or had the balls not to.

Since when were TOCs put in charge of feelings? I thought this was public transport, whenever anyone have a dislike of other passengers before we were told well it’s public transport if you don’t like it get private transport.

Even if you intensely dislike the things yourself many others thought they were important at the time and so transport staff, shop staff, police or whoever had this to bear in mind when responsible for the journey/experience of their customers and passengers.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Even if you intensely dislike the things yourself many others thought they were important at the time and so transport staff, shop staff, police or whoever had this to bear in mind when responsible for the journey/experience of their customers and passengers.
I’m not paid to suffer fools

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
but before vaccines arrived many people were understandably worried about getting the virus and regardless of how well or not masks prevented others from infection, they were seen as a protective measure to some degree by the majority of people.

I can't speak for people who are not intelligent enough to realise that wearing a face covering makes no difference to their chances of being infected. Ultimately that's their problem but I don't think it should become mine by the imposition of enforced mask wearing.

Someone who joined a train without wearing a mask 2 years ago would've made others feel uneasy

And there are lots of people who are made to feel uneasy by the sight of people wearing masks - its horrible and dystopian and of course completely pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.