• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Let's just hope that Sadiq Khant doesn't try an import this practice from Broadway to the West End of London.

It will be interesting to see whether attendances on "mask only" nights are better or worse than on other nights.

With the looming economic crisis, and people having less money to spend on leisure generally, I expect economics will dicate whether this policy survives. It will depend, I suppose, on whether any gain in people coming to the "mask only" night is offset by people who won't come because masks are compulsory.

The problem with this sort of arrangement is that it normalises the wearing of masks on a long term basis.

If it was rolled out to theatres, how long would it be before those in favour start demanding it is extended to restaurants, cinemas and places of worship.

Then once the policy is established, why just one "mask only" night per week?

There would be demands for it to be extended to two, three and four nights per week, and before you know where you are...... Hey presto, compulsory face nappies everywhere and at all times.

Well if we are having mask only performances can we have those where smoking is permitted as well ? :E

Seriously how long before the "mask mafia" are put to the sword for once and for all ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DustyBin

Established Member
Well if we are having mask only performances can we have those where smoking is permitted as well ? :E

Seriously how long before the "mask mafia" are put to the sword for once and for all ?

Hopefully sooner rather than later!

It really is pathetic at this point. I don’t even think it’s a misguided attempt to reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission, it’s all about virtue signalling and in some cases pure authoritarianism.

102 fan

I doubt very much if a lot of people will pay to watch a show with a mask on, when they can be maskless for the same money.

The number of arguments I've had with people saying they wear them because they're vulnerable. It usually goes like this;

'I wear a mask because I'm vulnerable'

'Were you vulnerable before 2019'

'Yes'

'Did you wear a mask before then?'

'Ahhhhh, no.......'

'Why not?'

That's usually the end of the conversation.

duncanp

Established Member

The BBC article said that some people don't feel safe going to "mask free" performances.

How many more times does it have to be repeated that feeling safe and being safe are not the same thing.

Those who are anxious, however misplaced that anxiety may be, can wear a FFP2 mask which protects the wearer, so it doesn't matter what anyone else is or isn't wearing.

If the performance is "socially distanced" as well, that will result in reduced ticket revenue for the theatre.

How is that lost revenue going to be recovered?

I wouldn't be happy if ticket prices for "mask free" performances were increased as a result.

And I wonder what these theatres would do if someone claimed an exemption from wearing a mask on the "mask only" nights?

Since some people cannot wear a mask due to a disability, then the provisions of the Equality Act require that service providers make reasonable adjustments to their policies to cater for customers with disabilities.

Are they going to refuse access to someone who is unable to wear a mask due to a disability?

That could lead to a court case.

DustyBin

Established Member
I thought the benefit of the mask was for other people not the wearer.

That’s what we were told! In reality of course it was all about using social pressure to increase compliance.

The BBC article said that some people don't feel safe going to "mask free" performances.

How many more times does it have to be repeated that feeling safe and being safe are not the same thing.

Those who are anxious, however misplaced that anxiety may be, can wear a FFP2 mask which protects the wearer, so it doesn't matter what anyone else is or isn't wearing.

If the performance is "socially distanced" as well, that will result in reduced ticket revenue for the theatre.

I wouldn't be happy if ticket prices for "mask free" performances were increased as a result.

And I wonder what these theatres would do if someone claimed an exemption from wearing a mask on the "mask only" nights?

Since some people cannot wear a mask due to a disability, then the provisions of the Equality Act require that service providers make reasonable adjustments to their policies to cater for customers with disabilities.

Are they going to refuse access to someone who is unable to wear a mask due to a disability?

That could lead to a court case.

Usually when somebody suffers with an irrational fear we help them get over it. What we don’t do is pander to it which only serves to reinforce it. Until covid came along that is……

duncanp

Established Member
I hope the performers are wearing masks too

The performers don't need to wear face nappies because the COVID virus knows not to infect them.

Didn't you know that? :D:D

It is only the plague ridden audience (who pay the wages of the performers) who need to wear silly little bits of cloth that have no effect whatsoever.

DelayRepay

Established Member

The obvious answer is that someone who wishes to socially distance pays for three or four seats instead of one. But I doubt that will be popular.

NB: I assume this policy will apply to Musicals, since we all know singing is a popular way for Covid to spread!

jumble

Let's just hope that Sadiq Khant doesn't try an import this practice from Broadway to the West End of London.

It will be interesting to see whether attendances on "mask only" nights are better or worse than on other nights.

With the looming economic crisis, and people having less money to spend on leisure generally, I expect economics will dicate whether this policy survives. It will depend, I suppose, on whether any gain in people coming to the "mask only" night is offset by people who won't come because masks are compulsory.

The problem with this sort of arrangement is that it normalises the wearing of masks on a long term basis.

If it was rolled out to theatres, how long would it be before those in favour start demanding it is extended to restaurants, cinemas and places of worship.

Then once the policy is established, why just one "mask only" night per week?

There would be demands for it to be extended to two, three and four nights per week, and before you know where you are...... Hey presto, compulsory face nappies everywhere and at all times.

In a rather amusing twist the BBC article links to a video from March 2020 where one Dr Shunmay Yeung from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine explains that the WHO say that people don't need face masks unless they are sick.

ExRes

Established Member
I had to take my wife to the local Minor Injuries Unit a few days ago, we both joined the very short queue to book in where we and neither of the ladies on the desk wore masks, the waiting room was a 'wear one if you like' space regardless of the faded notices threatening an afterlife in Hell, my wife was required to wear one while being checked over but her visit to X Ray went back to optional, the technician wasn't wearing one at all but when I went down to the X Ray waiting area I was asked by the masked receptionist to wear one "if I was able to", one thing that made me smile was the staff member who was refilling the cup holder at the water dispenser, she was peeling back the plastic and putting the cups in by ungloved hand, no accounting for it really is there? I daringly used one of the cups and, at the time of writing, have not yet died

102 fan

I had to take my wife to the local Minor Injuries Unit a few days ago, we both joined the very short queue to book in where we and neither of the ladies on the desk wore masks, the waiting room was a 'wear one if you like' space regardless of the faded notices threatening an afterlife in Hell, my wife was required to wear one while being checked over but her visit to X Ray went back to optional, the technician wasn't wearing one at all but when I went down to the X Ray waiting area I was asked by the masked receptionist to wear one "if I was able to", one thing that made me smile was the staff member who was refilling the cup holder at the water dispenser, she was peeling back the plastic and putting the cups in by ungloved hand, no accounting for it really is there? I daringly used one of the cups and, at the time of writing, have not yet died

At our Doctors surgery, the unmasked receptionist asks everyone coming in to wear a mask.

duncanp

Established Member
At our Doctors surgery, the unmasked receptionist asks everyone coming in to wear a mask.

Just like my GP surgery.

It really gets my goat. <(<(<(

Or maybe the COVID virus knows not to infect the receptionists - it wouldn't dare.

102 fan

Yes, I declined and pointed out how farcical it was. To a rather blank expression!

Enthusiast

In a rather amusing twist the BBC article links to a video from March 2020 where one Dr Shunmay Yeung from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine explains that the WHO say that people don't need face masks unless they are sick.
Ah, but that was just before the "Twitterati" grabbed hold of the issue and the government caved in because they wanted to be seen to be "doing something" (even though that something was of no benefit whatsoever).

Was in my bank today (Lloyds). First visit for some time. I've generally no need to visit a bank but somebody gave me cash to settle a bill and cash is no good to me so I had to pay it in. Electronic screens behind the counter implored customers to buy a funeral plan or a Cash ISA. But in between was a notice proclaiming "We are working hard to keep you safe. Please help by maintaining Social Distancing." Then followed by thus:

masks in lloyds.PNG

After I'd paid in my cash I pointed it out to the teller (maskless, in common with everybody else on the premises). "They must have forgotten to take it off." "Perhaps you could remind them" I said, "Some customers may find it confusing."

danm14

After I'd paid in my cash I pointed it out to the teller (maskless, in common with everybody else on the premises). "They must have forgotten to take it off." "Perhaps you could remind them" I said, "Some customers may find it confusing."
Halifax (also part of Lloyds Banking Group) branches in Belfast had official signs up outside advising customers that abusive behaviour would not be tolerated and may result in account closure, which were very craftily worded to strongly imply that not wearing a face covering or social distancing would be considered "abusive behaviour" and result in the same penalty.

They were still there several months after the requirement to wear a face covering in Northern Ireland was lifted, however I am unsure if they have been removed since.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought the benefit of the mask was for other people not the wearer.
That is indeed ostensibly the reason given for the wearing of flimsy, loose fitting masks, which are not designed to filter aerosol particles.

However the days of PPE shortages are long gone, and nowadays anyone who wants to protect themselves with a tight fitting FFP2/3 mask can do.

FFP2/3 masks - if correctly fitted/worn/handled/stored - are effective at filtering virus particles; that said, all someone choosing to wear one can hope to achieve is to delay an infection, as we are all destined to be exposed to common viruses (including SARS-CoV-2) multiple times in our lifetimes.

Russel

Established Member
I've just had a week in South Devon, in Dawlish Warren I noticed the Chinese takeaway near the rail station had a few hand written A4 posters displayed on the door and windows stating face coverings must be worn, the signs looked quite new and the staff were all masked so I don't think they had just forgotten to take them down.

Amusingly, although clearly still concerned with Covid, the general hygiene standards looked questionable.

Razorblades

I've just had a week in South Devon, in Dawlish Warren I noticed the Chinese takeaway near the rail station had a few hand written A4 posters displayed on the door and windows stating face coverings must be worn, the signs looked quite new and the staff were all masked so I don't think they had just forgotten to take them down.

Amusingly, although clearly still concerned with Covid, the general hygiene standards looked questionable.

The long-standing Chinese restaurant in this neighbourhood had 100% face-covered staff when I first returned there about a month ago. When I visited last week, none of its staff are wearing face coverings. I complimented the manager on their decision, she said it was better to see everyone's faces again.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

We’ve just returned from a weekend in Sidmouth. Mask free bar one of the receptionists.

I wondered why I could understand her on the car park intercom. I also barely understood her face to face.

It was mentioned in the review

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I worked in Sidmouth for a year or so, I could barely understand the locals face to face either!
Ha!

It must be annoying for locals in the Summer trying to get dinner. We walked around the town for an hour on Friday night evening trying to get food before resorting to the queue at the chip shop.

Russel

Established Member
Not sure if this has already been picked up on by in this thread or not but I've just been looking at booking a trip on the Caledonian sleeper and on the booking page, found this -

"Face coverings
Face coverings must be worn in stations and onboard, even when you have drifted off to sleep.
Exempt from wearing a face covering? We are proud to work with the Sunflower Lanyard Scheme and you can order a lanyard free of charge by contacting our friendly Guest Service Centre!"

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not sure if this has already been picked up on by in this thread or not but I've just been looking at booking a trip on the Caledonian sleeper and on the booking page, found this -

"Face coverings
Face coverings must be worn in stations and onboard, even when you have drifted off to sleep.
Exempt from wearing a face covering? We are proud to work with the Sunflower Lanyard Scheme and you can order a lanyard free of charge by contacting our friendly Guest Service Centre!"

It's out of date. I was on the CS recently and hardly anyone was wearing masks.

bengley

Established Member
And even when it was mandatory you can guarantee nobody ever slept in a berth wearing a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.