• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shops & other venues that still insist on masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
There is no "preferring". They deliver what they are contracted and paid to deliver. If the NHS wants them to deliver more, or at different times, or exclusively, I am sure that could be negotiated.

The NHS must know people are getting a raw deal from (some/many?) GP surgeries. The brick walls which some are putting up *must* surely be leading to late diagnoses.

I can’t help but think the various NHS worshipping, especially in 2020, has allowed much of this to slip under the radar. Like many things, this government doesn’t seem to have noticed let alone care - indeed the Health Secretary at the time was much too busy being a naughty boy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I don't have a problem with GPs, or anyone else for that matter, earning extra money on the side. That's up to them. It's worth remembering that getting a GP appointment was an ordeal long before Covid. At any rate, it was ay my local surgery. What annoys me as well is the poor timekeeping. I'm not talking five minutes late, more like 20-30. I get that every patient is different so each consultation will take a different amount of time but when they are always so consistently running late, clearly each slot needs to be longer, or they need firebreaks every so often.
Yes. And what could make it better? A sincere apology, which never comes. My dentist's the same.

kristiang85

Established Member
I rang a travel clinic to book an appointment for a few jabs; they said that masks must be worn on premises and temperature will be taken on arrival.

It's not a working hospital, just a simple travel vaccination clinic, so I'm not sure why this all has to be done...

Even my dentist's receptionist laughed when I asked if I had to wear a mask when I walked in a few weeks back.

adc82140

Established Member
Temperature taken eh? For what purpose as it has nothing to do with Covid. That particular theatre was deemed unnecessary in the autumn of 2020

westv

Established Member
Even my dentist's receptionist laughed when I asked if I had to wear a mask when I walked in a few weeks back.
That still seems to be a thing at our local practice if the website is to be believed. Plus fewer appointments.

P Binnersley

NHS guidance changed today.
Outpatients, UEC and primary care:

• Patients with respiratory symptoms who are required to attend for emergency treatment should wear a facemask/covering, if tolerated, or offered one on arrival.
  • All other patients are not required to wear a facemask unless this is a personal preference.

danm14

The National Deaf Children’s Society has written to every NHS Trust in England urging them to start using transparent face masks.

A letter, written with the British Academy of Audiology, states that deaf patients are facing “serious communication barriers” in healthcare, many of which could be overcome by introducing the masks.

Susan Daniels, chief executive of the National Deaf Children’s Society, said: “Transparent face masks are fully approved and they could transform the healthcare experience for deaf people. Every Trust in the country needs to make the investment now because it really could be game-changing.”

They're so, so close to the actual solution, yet they miss it.

gabrielhj07

I believe they already exist, as plastic bags...

In all seriousness (not really), this nonsense is straight out of Yes Minister! 'Transforming the healthcare experience' and 'game-changing' did make me chuckle.

Freightmaster

Established Member
In all seriousness (not really), this nonsense is straight out of Yes Minister! 'Transforming the healthcare experience' and 'game-changing' did make me chuckle.
But it absolutely would be 'Transforming the healthcare experience' and 'game-changing' - just not in the way they envisage!

MARK

davews

The NHS guidance actually changed over a week ago, the original guidance was withdrawn and new very vague guidance replaced it.
At Royal Berks on Wednesday I was asked twice if I had a mask and got a smile when I said 'exempt thankyou'. One receptionist even dropped her mask without prompting so I could hear her properly. But everybody else still wearing the things as if it is 'their duty'.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I believe they already exist, as plastic bags...

To be fair, if your company makes transparent masks then it definitely would be game changing, tropical island & private yacht game changing!! :D

Markdvdman

My brother went to a hairdressers yesterday and the workers were wearing masks. He asked why they were, and they had a letter from the Welsh Government strongly advising the wearing of masks. She whispered to my bro she would lose her job if she took it off. The Welsh Governement really are pathetic - and even worse the owners for falling for that claptrap!!!

Crossover

Established Member
The NHS guidance actually changed over a week ago, the original guidance was withdrawn and new very vague guidance replaced it.
At Royal Berks on Wednesday I was asked twice if I had a mask and got a smile when I said 'exempt thankyou'. One receptionist even dropped her mask without prompting so I could hear her properly. But everybody else still wearing the things as if it is 'their duty'.
Boots still have all their staff wearing masks, I have noticed. However, when I went in a few days ago to collect a prescription, I noticed one pharmacist was unmasked, some below the nose and a couple of them kept pulling them under their chin to have conversations with customers!!!

Acton1991

Had an email from TfL today about the service changes to the Elizabeth line, and the last sentence really made me laugh!

We strongly encourage customers to wear face coverings on our services and stations unless exempt.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Information Team
Transport for London

When are they going to wake up and realise that the vast majority are not wearing masks, and the rest of us are adults and can decide if and when we’d like to wear them. Super frustrating.

gabrielhj07

Had an email from TfL today about the service changes to the Elizabeth line, and the last sentence really made me laugh!

When are they going to wake up and realise that the vast majority are not wearing masks, and the rest of us are adults and can decide if and when we’d like to wear them. Super frustrating.
I think they’ve just forgotten to take that bit out.

Bikeman78

Established Member
My brother went to a hairdressers yesterday and the workers were wearing masks. He asked why they were, and they had a letter from the Welsh Government strongly advising the wearing of masks. She whispered to my bro she would lose her job if she took it off. The Welsh Governement really are pathetic - and even worse the owners for falling for that claptrap!!!
Conversely my barber never really wore a mask properly and certainly didn't care whether the customers did.

trainophile

Established Member
On a Merseyrail train this morning a woman was sitting in a four seat bay, and when a couple went to sit in the facing seats she challenged them with "have you got masks?" They looked taken aback, and sat somewhere else. I said to her that masks aren't compulsory now, and she shouldn't tell other people where they can't sit, and she said "yes I can" and turned away. Brainwashed I guess.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On a Merseyrail train this morning a woman was sitting in a four seat bay, and when a couple went to sit in the facing seats she challenged them with "have you got masks?" They looked taken aback, and sat somewhere else. I said to her that masks aren't compulsory now, and she shouldn't tell other people where they can't sit, and she said "yes I can" and turned away. Brainwashed I guess.
Good on you for challenging her; many people would not do that.

I would have done similar, but after that response I would have gone on to say that no she can't but she can choose to sit elsewhere if she wishes.

I once challenged an XC Guard over his conduct in this area and I would absolutely do so again. I've been looking out for him ever since but not come across him again. That was about 20 months ago now.

If anyone tries to make anyone wear a mask when I am around, they will be dealt with appropriately.

trebor79

Established Member
Good on you for challenging her; many people would not do that.

I would have done similar, but after that response I would have gone on to say that no she can't but she can choose to sit elsewhere if she wishes.
I'd have given the couple my seat and gone and sat opposite the maskophile!

nedchester

Established Member
Went into a book shop in Machynlleth on Wednesday. Big sign outside about you MUST wear a mask and masks at the door

Walked in with my wife without masks and the two people inside immediately put on their masks to talk to us but didn’t challenge our naked faces.

The owner of the shop to be fair was very nice helping us look for the book we wanted. All a bit weird though.

As a regular Merseyrail user very few people wear masks on their trains these days.

This woman wouldn’t have liked the last train home from Liverpool to Chester on Thursday night absolutely wedged out (following the Rolling Stones concert at Anfield) with standing room only!

Razorblades

Spotted two Jehovah's Witnesses* with their pop up propaganda stand set up on the pavement of a local town centre yesterday. Both masked. Outdoors, in warm breezy early summer weather. What message does that send.

* other street preachers are available

greyman42

Established Member
Spotted two Jehovah's Witnesses* with their pop up propaganda stand set up on the pavement of a local town centre yesterday. Both masked. Outdoors, in warm breezy early summer weather. What message does that send.

* other street preachers are available
That they are nut cases?

Class 33

Established Member
Just got an email back from GWR to say they have now removed all COVID related signage and PA announcements from their trains. About time! Now I can start using their trains again!

Is LNER still keeping up their face coverings signage and PA announcements?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is LNER still keeping up their face coverings signage and PA announcements?
Haven't heard a PA in a while but there's still the odd old forgotten about sign floating around. Same on Northern. Not worth worrying about really.

GC class B1

I have just booked an eye test at Boots opticians and they have told me they have now removed the requirement to wear a mask. A good thing as I wasn’t going to wear one anyway!!!?

greyman42

Established Member
I have just booked an eye test at Boots opticians and they have told me they have now removed the requirement to wear a mask. A good thing as I wasn’t going to wear one anyway!!!?
Which is probably why they have dropped the requirement. If more people had had the sense to say "no I'm not wearing one" then they would have dropped it earlier. They were never going to turn away custom.

trebor79

Established Member
Boots still have all their staff wearing masks, I have noticed. However, when I went in a few days ago to collect a prescription, I noticed one pharmacist was unmasked, some below the nose and a couple of them kept pulling them under their chin to have conversations with customers!!!
Boots are nuts. I remember in the first lockdown they had security outside the door "What do you want?" and loads of tapes and barriers in the shop.

I went into a Lloyds pharmacy today. No masks, or signs about masks or anything about covid. Completely normal. Lovely.

greyman42

Established Member
Boots are nuts. I remember in the first lockdown they had security outside the door "What do you want?" and loads of tapes and barriers in the shop.

I went into a Lloyds pharmacy today. No masks, or signs about masks or anything about covid. Completely normal. Lovely.
Yes, Boots was the worse place to shop during the first shutdown. They seemed to go into a complete over the top panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.