• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortage of traincrew at TPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
not sure what you mean - I'm talking about now. However having worked in public transport for the past 32 years there was far more interaction between all parties for virtually the whole of that time leading to very few stoppages in those 32 years. In my experience, when losing money is a real possibility there has always been plenty of questions asked of both sides as to why they should go down that route before making a decision.

Whilst there were a small minority who would just do whatever they were told and "encourage" others to take up the cause, there were plenty more who wanted to know the story and would use value judgement before supporting or otherwise any action.

im guessing your 32 years were as a bus driver ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben Bow

not sure what you mean - I'm talking about now. However having worked in public transport for the past 32 years there was far more interaction between all parties for virtually the whole of that time leading to very few stoppages in those 32 years. In my experience, when losing money is a real possibility there has always been plenty of questions asked of both sides as to why they should go down that route before making a decision.

Whilst there were a small minority who would just do whatever they were told and "encourage" others to take up the cause, there were plenty more who wanted to know the story and would use value judgement before supporting or otherwise any action.
not sure what YOU mean... enough members trusted the union when they said "there's a problem, we're asking you for your support" to give them a strike mandate, which then saw the dispute resolved, so what is your point? That's what solidarity can, and does, achieve.

whoosh

Established Member
The fact remains that, in this case, progress was only made once a vote for strike action had been made - a very, very familiar pattern at TPE.

Indeed. A similar resolution to a dispute only took place at TPE in September.
It does look a bit like the London Underground way of industrial relations of pushing the workforce to mandate a strike often, in the hope of some sort of fatigue of it maybe? Can we weaken them and get the upper hand? Or perhaps pushing for something worse than what they want and being seen to relent (to the position they wanted to be in the first place)?

It doesn't look a good relationship I have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.