• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest lived stock that saw regular service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
There's also the Nightstar stock. 0 years, 0 months as far as the UK was concerned...

There is this ^^^
But what about the shorter North of London Eurostars. Were they used in services from Waterloo. I know they were used on the East Coast line but that wasn't the purpose they were procured for.

There is this ^^^
But what about the shorter North of London Eurostars. Were they used in services from Waterloo. I know they were used on the East Coast line but that wasn't the purpose they were procured for.
What happened to the Locos modified for nightstar? I dont know how dedicated they were, or if they got a new sub class, or what they were used for after Nightstar abandonment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class15

On Moderation
There is this ^^^

What happened to the Locos modified for nightstar? I dont know how dedicated they were, or if they got a new sub class, or what they were used for after Nightstar abandonment.
If you mean the Class 92s, they are all currently with GBRf.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The 37s were stored for a while until some of them (possibly all) were bought by DRS. The 73s were kept at Clapham Yard as "Thunderbirds" for Eurostar (and were occasionally started up and moved around the keep them in working order).

The 37s were renumbered as 37/6s (37601-37612), the 73s stayed as 73/1s.

nw1

Established Member
There is this ^^^
Didn't they later go to France and operate some TGV services while still under Eurostar branding? I'm sure I saw a "Eurostar" operate a service from Lille to somewhere in the far south or west of France once.

Do the PEPs count? Well before my time (early 70s) but I think they only lasted a couple of years.

Train Maniac

The 37s were stored for a while until some of them (possibly all) were bought by DRS. The 73s were kept at Clapham Yard as "Thunderbirds" for Eurostar (and were occasionally started up and moved around the keep them in working order).

The 37s were renumbered as 37/6s (37601-37612), the 73s stayed as 73/1s.
IIRC one of the Eurostar 73s is preserved at Barry railway centre

MadMac

Various Modernisation Plan acquisitions had very short service lives.

The Craven class 112 and 113 DMUs lasted about 10 years.

The Waggon and Maschinenbau railbuses lasted less than 10 years, though 4 of the 5 were preserved. Some of the other railbuses may have had even shorter lives.

There are also some loco classes with very short BR careers notably the Paxman class 14s none of which worked on BR for more than 5 years, though many went on to have longer careers in industrial use. Various pilot scheme loco classes had careers lasting about 10 years.
Few other candidates:

Battery Multiple Unit

Derby & Met-Camm Lightweight DMUs

Wickham DMUs

NBL Diesel Locomotives (21/29?)

Metro-Vicks Diesel Co-Bo

Ianigsy

46202 ‘Princess Anne’ had a service life of between six weeks and two months.

The Snowdon Mountain Railway’s No.1 ’L.A.D.A.S’ didn’t even manage a return trip in service.

Harvester

Established Member
The last Pacific built (71000) survived only 8 years in BR stock, as did the first Standard Class 5 to be withdrawn!

thedbdiboy

Can add the LU 72Mk1 stock, which as a fleet managed just 25 years on the Northern Line. A handful of units managed to survive by being incorporated into the Victoria and Bakerloo fleets, the latter still running today. By contrast the virtually identical 72Mk2 stock is still going and is about to touch 50 years with no replacement immediately planned. Funny old world!
The 72 Mk1 stock had saloon guards panels whilst the Mk2 stock had the controls in the cabs to enable conversion to DOO. That minor difference had a big impact on their lifespan!
Did any of the Southern AC stock have short lives, I seem to recall some overhead electrification ending very quickly (Coulsdon North) but given Southern Railway’s parsimonious nature I suspect there was a fair amount of reuse.
The LBSC Overhead stock was as you suspect rebuilt rather than scrapped.

Magdalia

Established Member
The two locomotives D1671 and D6983, withdrawn after the December 1965 collision at Bridgend, were both less than a year old.

But, for the purposes of this discussion, surely what matters are the dates that whole fleets were introduced and withdrawn from service, not individual specimens?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
The Tram Power City Class tram never even managed to enter service on the Blackpool tramway. It went up in flames during testing in early 2007.

Taunton

Established Member
46202 ‘Princess Anne’ had a service life of between six weeks and two months.

The Snowdon Mountain Railway’s No.1 ’L.A.D.A.S’ didn’t even manage a return trip in service.
Indeed. I do think that's the winner, Ladas being destroyed during its maiden regular service run. Its carriages were also wrecked by the train following, and as different lighter ones then had to be built those would not be rebuilt but go the same way. I wonder what the investors thought ...

Many of the others listed above are adaptations of existing stock that didn't last, or didn't work out, but were not new build.

There have also been a range of prototypes and projects that never saw service at all, though I think of the Eurostar trains the NOL sets were eventually used on the ECML, and then sold to SNCF, while the Nightstar stock was sold to Canada, so these were all found a use in service, just not their originally intended one, which is actually not uncommon.

46202 was about 20 years old when destroyed in the Harrow accident, but had been recently rebuilt with a different form of steam propulsion. Everything else on the loco, frames, boiler etc, stayed the same.

ac6000cw

Established Member
If we're doing individual examples now, how about 70012? Didn't even get off the boat unscathed!
AFAIK, as it didn't actually enter service, not sure that counts?

How about the SR 'Leader' steam locos - five ordered, only one completed for trials in June 1949 (the other four were only partly built) and by 1951 all were being cut up for scrap...

Taunton

Established Member
A good number of locomotives, especially steam, were lost in delivery. Well known are the numbers lost in WW2, but there were others, UK builders lost several from ships - I think a number headed for New Zealand railways are at the bottom of the ocean. Standard shipping terms are FOB, Free On Board, which is that the purchaser takes delivery and responsibility when it is loaded on the ship, so such are the customer railway's stock. Again, not the original question.

Magdalia

Established Member
Standard shipping terms are FOB, Free On Board, which is that the purchaser takes delivery and responsibility when it is loaded on the ship, so such are the customer railway's stock. Again, not the original question.
That's brought back memories of working with the product analyses of overseas trade statistics. Exports were valued FOB for free on board and imports were valued CIF for cost, insurance and freight.

If we're doing individual examples now, how about 70012? Didn't even get off the boat unscathed!
But hopefully it was insured.

On Moderation
The two locomotives D1671 and D6983, withdrawn after the December 1965 collision at Bridgend, were both less than a year old.

But, for the purposes of this discussion, surely what matters are the dates that whole fleets were introduced and withdrawn from service, not individual specimens?
Amtrak P40 819 was 20 days old when written off.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
This EMD loco suffered an unfortunate “earth fault” during its delivery when the crane’s chains snapped. It was written off.

Krokodil

Established Member
Ladas being destroyed during its maiden regular service run. Its carriages were also wrecked by the train following, and as different lighter ones then had to be built those would not be rebuilt but go the same way.
That's not quite true. One of the two coaches was damaged by No. 2, and was rebuilt as an open coach with a shortened underframe. It was later rebuilt as a caboose for internal use. The other five Lancaster coaches survived until the 2010s, (rebuilt as properly enclosed coaches in the 1950s), two of which are still in service (with new bodies), the other three existing as underframes.

Two further coaches were ordered from SIS in the 1920s, again enclosed in the 1950s and bodies scrapped in the 2010s.

A purpose-built open carriage was delivered a couple of years after, ending up as a bogie flat and got scrapped after WWII. Possibly built by Ashbury.

Rescars

Established Member
AFAIK, as it didn't actually enter service, not sure that counts?

How about the SR 'Leader' steam locos - five ordered, only one completed for trials in June 1949 (the other four were only partly built) and by 1951 all were being cut up for scrap...
Perhaps we should have a separate thread for vehicles which needed substantial modification before they were fit for traffic. William Dean designed a number of experimental locomotives for the GWR c1890, all of which were substantially rebuilt before they were used in regular service. IIRC no 9 was initially designed as a 4-2-4T, which excelled itself by derailing and falling into a turntable pit the first time it moved under its own power. It earned its keep after it had been reconstructed as a more conventional tender 2-2-2.

Harvester

Established Member
Apart from the prototype, the SR 2-6-4T ‘River Class’ only ran for a couple of years as tank engines, before being rebuilt as ‘Class U’ 2-6-0 tender locos.

Status
Not open for further replies.