• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should cost benefits of new schemes be worked out in a different way?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's fine if the councillors and ministers are honest about it. At the end of the day public money is spent by political decisions. But they're not being so, they're claiming there's a business case...

mods note - split from here

I think there's a lot of vibes come down to benefits that aren't easily expressed in a business case. Trains tend to be faster and don't get snarled up.

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly why a similar town with good rail connections will tend to do better than one without, but they seem to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think there's a lot of vibes come down to benefits that aren't easily expressed in a business case. Trains tend to be faster and don't get snarled up.
Both of those examples are easily monetised. I can't imagine that they've been demonstrated as benefits of this scheme however. Business cases are also pretty good nowadays at bringing in wider economic benefits / hard to monetise benefits.

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly why a similar town with good rail connections will tend to do better than one without, but they seem to.
More than anything it's about access to more, and more productive work. The best possible journey time between Newquay and Truro by rail today would be 1h 15m. Perhaps the work will reduce it to 1h 10m. Still too slow to promote commuting by rail. Still 15 minutes slower than the bus. Still 25 - 40 minutes slower than driving.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Both of those examples are easily monetised. I can't imagine that they've been demonstrated as benefits of this scheme however. Business cases are also pretty good nowadays at bringing in wider economic benefits / hard to monetise benefits.

They must have changed since I picked over the 2008 study for the Uckfield study in that case.

It seems hard to imagine that such benefits are being properly monetised if the business case rests on the train being fifteen minutes quicker than the bus.

More than anything it's about access to more, and more productive work. The best possible journey time between Newquay and Truro by rail today would be 1h 15m. Perhaps the work will reduce it to 1h 10m. Still too slow to promote commuting by rail. Still 15 minutes slower than the bus. Still 25 - 40 minutes slower than driving.

Wouldn't the plan also provide far better connections to St Austell and other main line destinations ?

The bus notwithstanding, even If I were travelling from Newquay to Penzance, I'd still probably get the train all the way.

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Both of those examples are easily monetised.
I can see that it’s easy to monetise length of journey time (and accumulated delays). But how do you monetise the poorer productivity due to people arriving stressed and spending time discussing the traffic or performing worse because they were late home and so were late to bed by the time they got everything done? Genuine question - as obviously these delays can occur both on road and rail.
The amount of time spent by some in the office this week trying to work out routes avoiding road works is phenomenal!

Starmill

Veteran Member
The bus notwithstanding, even If I were travelling from Newquay to Penzance, I'd still probably get the train all the way.
Indeed. Precisely my point. Good for enthusiasts and local politicians. Good for everyone though?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Indeed. Precisely my point. Good for enthusiasts and local politicians. Good for everyone though?

Rail enthusiasts and local politicians are a fairly limited pool of people. I can't imagine many local politicians supporting the service if they didn't expect a lot more people to use it !

Starmill

Veteran Member
They must have changed since I picked over the 2008 study for the Uckfield study in that case.
It has moved on a lot. The detail is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tag-unit-a2-1-wider-economic-impacts

Rail enthusiasts and local politicians are a fairly limited pool of people. I can't imagine many local politicians supporting the service if they didn't expect a lot more people to use it !
That's exactly what they do. Up and down the country.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I can see that it’s easy to monetise length of journey time (and accumulated delays). But how do you monetise the poorer productivity due to people arriving stressed and spending time discussing the traffic or performing worse because they were late home and so were late to bed by the time they got everything done? Genuine question - as obviously these delays can occur both on road and rail.
The amount of time spent by some in the office this week trying to work out routes avoiding road works is phenomenal!
Sections 4 and 6 respectively have the details: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/webtag-tag-unit-a1-3-user-and-provider-impacts-march-2017

Supporting what their constituents want is their job.
There's no evidence people want trains for their own sake, beyond your view. We've discussed this before many times...

People want reliable, efficient public transport, subsidised with public money, and that's safe, comfortable and cheap to use. Trains can provide that, but not here.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's no evidence people want trains for their own sake, beyond your view. We've discussed this before many times...

People want reliable, efficient public transport, subsidised with public money, and that's safe, comfortable and cheap to use. Trains can provide that, but not here.

There's certainly no evidence that residents along the Atlantic line regard the line as "trains for trains sake". It would be interesting to know how many do !

There's also no evidence that trains aren't part of a safe, comfortable and cheap to use public transport system in the context of Cornwall. In fact trains already provide exactly that every day there.

Starmill

Veteran Member
There's certainly no evidence that residents along the Atlantic line regard the line as "trains for trains sake". It would be interesting to know how many do !

There's also no evidence that trains aren't part of a safe, comfortable and cheap to use public transport system in the context of Cornwall. In fact trains already provide exactly that every day there.
I don't think you're reading what I'm saying. I'm saying that they cannot provide thst for Newquay - Truro journeys. Without such journeys, the only relevant flow with adequate demand, the infrastructure work and subsidy of the extra services is terrible value for money. That means that other parts of Cornwall and England will have less good service as a result. You can support it by being blinkered and saying you don't want to travel on a bus, but ultimately that's meaningless.

sor

I am slightly biased as I grew up somewhere on the ACL and this has an obvious benefit to me

but - it's important not to look it in the context of the burgeoning Newquay to Falmouth commuter market. Some of the proposals, like the "active travel at Roche and Bugle", could be quite transformational. Roche especially, as anyone who knows the area (or has seen videos from Geoff or Jen or whoever) would know it's essentially inaccessible from the village proper and walking/cycling is fraught with actual danger, at least until the bypass is up and running. In its current state the station is pointless, but with a reasonable service it might take some car and bus traffic away.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think you're reading what I'm saying. I'm saying that they cannot provide thst for Newquay - Truro journeys. Without such journeys, the only relevant flow with adequate demand, the infrastructure work and subsidy of the extra services is terrible value for money. That means that other parts of Cornwall and England will have less good service as a result. You can support it by being blinkered and saying you don't want to travel on a bus, but ultimately that's meaningless.

But it's not just about Newquay to Truro.

A large part of this is about improving an established railway route and making it more useful to residents.

I've used the line a few times and certainly the day time trains have been decently used for a fairly sparse service. I imagine a regular interval service going to St Austell would be a popular development.

Certainly better value for money than the billions lost on freezing fuel duty.

Starmill

Veteran Member
But it's not just about Newquay to Truro.
The other flows it supports like St Columb - St Austell etc are pretty small. It will also inconvenience the equally small number of people making journeys like Liskeard - Newquay and Newquay - Plymouth if they have to change at St Austell because the London train is no longer calling at Par.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The other flows it supports like St Columb - St Austell etc are pretty small. It will also inconvenience the equally small number of people making journeys like Liskeard - Newquay and Newquay - Plymouth if they have to change at St Austell because the London train is no longer calling at Par.

There's nothing about the metro project that means London trains could no longer be able to call at Par. Such a decision should be considered on its own merits.

Starmill

Veteran Member
There's nothing about the metro project that means London trains could no longer be able to call at Par. Such a decision should be considered on its own merits.
There is by definition if they're counting on the benefits of speeding up Penzance - London under the business case.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There is by definition if they're counting on the benefits of speeding up Penzance - London under the business case.

The amount of time saved and benefit created by eliminating one stop on the Paddington service is going to be miniscule, compared to providing a regular train service between Newquay and St Austell (and elsewhere).

Xavi

Rather than BCR for rail reopenings / enhancements, the best evidence is what’s happening at Okehampton. Many people said it was wasted money connecting a small town to a small city 35 mins away. The usage says otherwise and is best demonstrated by seeing the many passengers boarding or leaving every hour at Okehampton. Much better than a number in a table.

Please don’t mention ‘losses’ - you can’t put a value on the benefit it has brought to all those users and the wider community. If it works for Okehampton then it will work for many enhancements or reopenings across the country.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The amount of time saved and benefit created by eliminating one stop on the Paddington service is going to be miniscule, compared to providing a regular train service between Newquay and St Austell (and elsewhere).
On the contrary, speeding up the long-distance service would have created much bigger net benefits than running extra trains for which there will be little demand. The cost of three or four 150 diagrams with two crew is huge. The cost of an existing service running faster is near zero. The cost of an existing service calling at a new station is also near zero in most cases, as more resources are needed only if it breaks the diagram.

Please don’t mention ‘losses’ - you can’t put a value on the benefit it has brought to all those users and the wider community.
Valuing those benefits is something that a whole industry has been built around, both in government and outside it. Of course there's a value to them.

Many people said it was wasted money connecting a small town to a small city 35 mins away.
I don't think that's the case? However even if it was, the capital budget to refurbish the station, raise the permissible speed and do a bit of miscellaneous work like new fencing and vegetation management was very minimal compared to the capital costs we're looking at here. Also only two units and crews are needed. Finally, the train actually saved time.

Last edited:

Xavi

Valuing those benefits is something that a whole industry has been built around, both in government and outside it. Of course there's a value to them.
A whole industry adding questionable value. No coincidence that since BCR became the centrepiece of every investment decision made by government the economy has performed poorly and public investment in the UK has fallen.

The ‘value’ should not be measured in £s, it’s too subjective however much they’ve tried to improve the process.

Democracy is about people choice, not BCR. Rather like our economic decisions being dictated by OBR forecasts.

I don't think that's the case?
Research some of the posts in this forum. Many were still questioning whether it should have happened after the successful reopening.

BrianW

Established Member
There was a lot of dismissive comment about BCR calculations at the Transport Cttee hearing yesterday in Parliament about EWR, including by goverment officials AND the Rail Minister, on its ability to 'capture' and reflect the value of 'Transformation Benefits'- the development of Canary Wharf facilitated by the Jubilee Line Extension was praised by the minister and compared with its low BCR or even negative BCR!

Xavi

the capital budget to refurbish the station, raise the permissible speed and do a bit of miscellaneous work like new fencing and vegetation management was very minimal compared to the capital costs we're looking at here
Okehampton was delivered for just over £40m against £50m budget. Cornwall Metro budget is £57m. Rather similar I’d say.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A whole industry adding questionable value.
On the contrary, the fact that we see reopenings where vast quantities of money are wasted in the rail industry, such as Reston, shows that it's needed far more now than in the past.

The guidance is there for a reason. It's not to allow politicians to grab satisfying headlines.

No coincidence that since BCR became the centrepiece of every investment decision made by government the economy has performed poorly and public investment in the UK has fallen.
You've got no evidence for that. I think you've just made it up.
The ‘value’ should not be measured in £s, it’s too subjective however much they’ve tried to improve the process.
It's really not. How do you think say drug spending is valued? I can assure you it uses the same basic tools to value life as are used to value transport interventions.

Look at it this way - wants are unlimited, and resources are limited. Not everyone can get everything they want. Nobody can argue with that. So if you don't like the current methods of appraisal so much that you'd rather junk them, what approach would you take?
Democracy is about people choice, not BCR. Rather like our economic decisions being dictated by OBR forecasts.
I agree the OBR are fundamentally flawed. They were a "clever trap" the tories came up with to try to hamstring Labour. They're now falling into their own trap. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Research some of the posts in this forum. Many were still questioning whether it should have happened after the successful reopening.
Successfully running a service yes. But without appraisal how could you evidence it was a success in any other sense? It's about the economy, not your own personal experiences.

Bear in mind that frequency has consistently proven to be important for ridership...
On lines where there's a competive journey time. To a major centre of employment and leisure.

Last edited:

Xavi

You've got no evidence for that. I think you've just made it up.
I certainly have, you really don’t know what you’re talking about. The Green Book was introduced by HMT in the 1970s. Look what happened to public investment subsequently - the chart shows a massive and constant decline in Capital Investment as a percentage of GDP since the 1970s. Link to The Green Book added.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.jpeg
    IMG_2844.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

DDB

So vibes in other words? This is your justification for many tens of millions of pounds of public money? It vibes well?
Another way of saying "vibes" might be "chance of achieving modal shift" People who won't take buses will take trains.

People just like trains. Not as much as we on this forum do but they just do. An example, there is a documentary I'm watching at the moment by Alice Roberts about ancient Egypt. They've chosen to include in the show travelling between sites by the rail network and title it "Ancient Egypt by Train"

Starmill

Veteran Member
I certainly have, you really don’t know what you’re talking about. The Green Book was introduced by HMT in the 1970s. Look what happened to public investment subsequently.
You've literally just fabricated that there's a causal relationship there. You have no evidence of that whatsoever.

Last edited:

Xavi

vast quantities of money are wasted in the rail industry, such as Reston
Reston was promoted by East Lothian Council, Scottish Borders Council, and SEStran (not the rail industry) and was subject to cost benefit analysis.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Another way of saying "vibes" might be "chance of achieving modal shift" People who won't take buses will take trains.
You can measure mode shift.

People who won't take buses will take trains is just something rail enthusiasts like saying because it fits the narrative. It's not well supported beyond the basic idea of quality (comfort onboard, appearing safe and professional) and the bus service is arguably better quality than a GWR 150.

Reston was promoted by East Lothian Council, Scottish Borders Council, and SEStran (not the rail industry) and was subject to cost benefit analysis.
Cooked analysis. The rail industry should have stopped them from funding a project so hopeless. Even @Bald Rick was cross about that one.

People just like trains.
You might like trains, and nobody can criticise you for it.

Xavi

Successfully running a service yes. But without appraisal how could you evidence it was a success in any other sense? It's about the economy, not your own personal experiences.
Next time I’ll spell out that successfully means more than running a train on time. It’s nothing to do with my experiences. It’s everything to do with the social and economic benefits people and communities are realising. Do I believe we should pay to convert all those benefits to £s for a BCR? No, democracy should prevail.

Cooked analysis. The rail industry should have stopped them from funding a project so hopeless. Even @Bald Rick was cross about that one.
There you go, you’ve said it all, why are we making democratic decisions based on BCR when the figures can be cooked?!!!