• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should disabled users upgraded to first class receive the full first class offering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamyd

On Moderation
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #21 originally in this thread.

How does the wheelchair space in First Class only work...?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VT 390

Established Member
Wheelchair users get a free upgrade. At least, that's what GWR do on 2C48 (5/10 car IET)
Does this mean that they will get everything that comes with first class as well, if so that does not seam right as just because they are in a wheelchair it should not mean that they get free first class all the time. I think it would be better to have 1 space in First class and 1 in standard class.

oliverpckehoe

Does this mean that they will get everything that comes with first class as well, if so that does not seam right as just because they are in a wheelchair it should not mean that they get free first class all the time. I think it would be better to have 1 space in First class and 1 in standard class.
I'm more concerned about carers travelling with them. Do they have to buy a First Class ticket?

I can imagine that they're *technically* not meant to get complimentary refreshments and stuff, but nice catering staff might allow it.

In terms of carers, it would be pretty irresponsible making them pay/travel in standard, so I think TPE will allow that. However, people could exploit that since often one would just take their word for it.

driver9000

Established Member

No they don't get the full 1st class offering. There is something but I can't remember what it is off hand.

modernrail

No they don't get the full 1st class offering. There is something but I can't remember what it is off hand.
Come on, let's be serious for a moment. If a disabled person and their carer are invited by a TOC to sit in the first class area by virtue of the layout they have chosen, they should not be treated quite literally as second class.

I actually saw this happen on an East Midlands trains recently. A standard class disabled passenger seated in First Class for some reason. The not that quiet discussion between staff as to whether the passengers were entitled to a free cup of bloody tea was completely undignified for all concerned.

Mathew S

Established Member
Come on, let's be serious for a moment. If a disabled person and their carer are invited by a TOC to sit in the first class area by virtue of the layout they have chosen, they should not be treated quite literally as second class.

I actually saw this happen on an East Midlands trains recently. A standard class disabled passenger seated in First Class for some reason. The not that quiet discussion between staff as to whether the passengers were entitled to a free cup of bloody tea was completely undignified for all concerned.
Absolutely.

dilbertphil

The full offering is just tea, coffee, water and biccies anyway. It's not VT.

There was a recent road show at various depots showing the new 1st class offering and it was alot more than tea and biscuits. Lots of nice new complimentary drinks and food.

driver9000

Established Member

They won't be treated as "second class" or in an undignified manner as there will be a guideline in place but you should raise it with the company if you have concerns over it.

modernrail

They won't be treated as "second class" or in an undignified manner as there will be a guideline in place but you should raise it with the company if you have concerns over it.
I am sorry but it just ridiculous to put a disabled passenger in a different class of accommodation and then treat them differently - like they are in a class of one, sticking out like a sore thumb, which is basically the essence of discrimination. Quite apart from it being a disgraceful way to behave you might as well write the newspaper stories in advance. Has anybody even stopped to consider disabilities that could cause the passenger to become confused and frustrated if they see everybody being treated differently to them without clear explanation and how the poor carer has to deal with this sort of situation when they are probably having a tough enough time as it is

Seriously this place becomes more of a parody of itself every day. A plea to all working these arrangements. Stuff whatever the instruction is. It's a cup of bloody tea and the gentle touch of dignity.

I would like to think I live in a society where the disabled passenger would be served first but clearly not. If I ever see it happen again I be making my views very clearly known to a number of people. For now I will presume there has been a misunderstanding.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
I am sorry but it just ridiculous to put a disabled passenger in a different class of accommodation and then treat them differently - like they are in a class of one, sticking out like a sore thumb, which is basically the essence of discrimination. Quite apart from it being a disgraceful way to behave you might as well write the newspaper stories in advance. Has anybody even stopped to consider disabilities that could cause the passenger to become confused and frustrated if they see everybody being treated differently to them without clear explanation and how the poor carer has to deal with this sort of situation when they are probably having a tough enough time as it is

Seriously this place becomes more of a parody of itself every day. A plea to all working these arrangements. Stuff whatever the instruction is. It's a cup of bloody tea and the gentle touch of dignity.

Do you know what the policy will be? It's not in the public domain but it will not be treating them as second class citizens or in a discriminatory manner. Again, if you have concerns about the experience wheelchair bound passengers travelling in first class on a standard class ticket will potentially be then you should raise it with the company.

modernrail

Do you know what the policy will be? It's not in the public domain but it will not be treating them as second class citizens or in a discriminatory manner. Again, if you have concerns about the experience wheelchair bound passengers travelling in first class on a standard class ticket will potentially be then you should raise it with the company.
What has been suggested and I hope is not true is that they will be offered a different level of service. If that is true to any extent, such as the disabled passenger gets a brew but not the sandwich, or gets something once everybody else has been served, then that would be wrong.

I very much hope I am concerned due to a misunderstanding. I would feel a lot better if that is the case!

Mathew S

Established Member
What has been suggested and I hope is not true is that they will be offered a different level of service. If that is true to any extent, such as the disabled passenger gets a brew but not the sandwich, or gets something once everybody else has been served, then that would be wrong.

I very much hope I am concerned due to a misunderstanding. I would feel a lot better if that is the case!
I don't imagine that, given his position, @driver9000 is allowed to go into more detail about the policy involved here, especially since the 397s are still some way off entering service.
I'm sure everyone agrees with you that disabled people should not be treated as "second class", but let's at least wait until we know what the policy is going to be before launching into a righteous crusade against TPE? After all, it's not really fair to have a go at them for something they haven't done, and won't do for probably months.

On Moderation

I would like to think I live in a society where the disabled passenger would be served first but clearly not. If I ever see it happen again I be making my views very clearly known to a number of people. For now I will presume there has been a misunderstanding.
I agree, that if they are in first class then serve the first class offer.

However, and noting that the PRM programme is about equality, there might be some who argue that putting wheelchairs into first class with standard class tickets with the full first class offer is discriminatory - against the rest of the standard class passengers. Personally, I’m not bothered about it - anyone in a wheelchair has a hard enough time as it is that getting some perks is fine with me.

squizzler

Established Member
If a disabled person and their carer are invited by a TOC to sit in the first class area by virtue of the layout they have chosen, they should not be treated quite literally as second class.
Apologies for perpetuating this diversion but nobody yet pointed out the obvious that no such thing as second class exists on the railways or has done for decades. This is done so that passengers are not explicitly referred to as an inferior class! Presumably we meant to say standard class.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apologies for perpetuating this diversion but nobody yet pointed out the obvious that no such thing as second class exists on the railways or has done for decades. This is done so that passengers are not explicitly referred to as an inferior class! Presumably we meant to say standard class.

If it looks like a duck...

(Technically it’s Third, isn’t it?)

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Due to the layout of the new TPE Class 397s, there will not be any wheelchair spaces in Standard class, so any wheelchair users will be upgraded to First Class. Should they receive the normal tea/coffee, water, biscuits and any other food that normally comes with First Class?

Lincoln

I’d argue yes, in order to minimise any fuss and maintain what it meant to be a nice ambience in there.

TPE did, after all, specify the train layout!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
And the raw cost of providing those refreshments to TPE to a handful of users is fairly minimal - e.g. coffee that would otherwise get chucked down the drain.

Would be good PR if nothing else.

AM9

Veteran Member
And the raw cost of providing those refreshments to TPE to a handful of users is fairly minimal - e.g. coffee that would otherwise get chucked down the drain.

Would be good PR if nothing else.
Any clumsy attempt to restrict disabled passengers who were using the only accessible seating provided, from benefiting from normal first class refreshments would attract massive criticism of petty meanness. No doubt there are some who would object to anybody getting somethng free when they have had to pay the standard price, but people like that who see the price of everything and the value of nothing creep out of the woodwork everywhere.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Any clumsy attempt to restrict disabled passengers who were using the only accessible seating provided, from benefiting from normal first class refreshments would attract massive criticism of petty meanness. No doubt there are some who would object to anybody getting somethng free when they have had to pay the standard price, but people like that who see the price of everything and the value of nothing creep out of the woodwork everywhere.

Anyone mean enough to complain about that should be politely reminded that they get full able use of their own bodies whereas the people they are complaining about aren't so fortunate.

Andrew Nelson

Only having to pay at most 2/3rds of the standard fare, and getting all the first class perks too.

Bargain!!!

Bantamzen

Established Member
Looking at the seating plan, the two accessible areas are facing table seats so I would imagine, as alluded to on the 397 thread that users of these would have access to the offerings as it really might get a little awkward otherwise. And as a fairly regular user of TPE First Class I'd certainly not have any problems with it, its a massive upgrade for disabled folk to be inside the main part of the cabin as opposed to the vestibules of the 185s, and its really not going to either cost TPE particularly more & being in a totally separate car isn't going to be visible to Standard passengers, which might sadly have caused issues where First & Standard where in the same car (knowing as I do human nature).

J-Rod

Yeah, can't see any issue with that. Makes life a bit brighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.