• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should First Class be abolished throughout the UK Rail Network?

Should First Class be completely abolished on UK Railways?

• I have used First Class and I think it should go.

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • I have used First Class and I think it should be kept.

Votes: 330 76.0%
  • I never travel First Class and think it should go.

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • I never travel First Class, but think it should be kept.

Votes: 49 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I haven't read all the posts, but for what it's worth, I'll put in my twopennyworth. For a start, I don't think that we live in an 'egalitarian utopia' as Flamingo suggested, inequality is all around us, and to remove first class would be nothing more than a sop...I can think of many other examples of inequality that I would consider removing before I got round to trains!
I have only used first class on occasional long journeys with cheap advances, mostly on East Coast, when I have appreciated the extra space (and leg room - it's not fun if you have dodgy knees and are continually playing footsie for hours with the person sat opposite).
I would agree that i f-c is pointless on London Midland, and any other TOCS that have similar standards. I could barely notice the difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
The poll question is pretty clear, though. It refers to UK railways. Maybe the result would be very different if it was operator specific.

Personally, I think that some first class is a bit pointless, but across the UK, no, I wouldn't like to see it abolished completely.

It was intended to be that way. The question of what proportion of what trains over what lines should be first class is so subjective as to be meaningless.

I was wondering if forum members thought should there should be First Class or not. Anything after that is really up to the operator as a commercial decision looking at the benefit of having it, and the cost of running it.

sarahj

Established Member
TBH, on the trains I work I feel that if folks want to pay extra for a better chance of a seat, then so be it. Removing first class from the standard 377's we run would at the most free up 20/24 seats per 4 car unit. If these folks want to pay an extra 2 grand a year for a season, let em. On some trains I've seen those 24 seats packed out, yet lots of space elsewhere, even off peak. (all had first class tickets, I checked!!), and thats on routes without a trolley, so no free tea/coffee or water.

And as for the 'hated' 442's. their first class option is decent and folks seem to like it. When they go, some might not bother with the option, esp if its like first on the new 377's/378's which is, well crap. extending it out from the front and yet having no wall between first and standard. Bonkers. But what do we know, we are only train staff.

And as for us being just commuter runs, some are 2 3/4 hours. I can get from king X to newcastle in less, so why should it not have those 20/24 extra seats for folks who want a bit more space to work/relax.

Or we could go down india commuter trains, no seats, just first class has less folks standing!!!.

dave55uk

I voted for the "I have used it and it should be kept".

Sometime last year, I took the GF to Newcastle for the day. Neither of us had really experienced first class before (I don't know if 101 DMU's really count LOL),
and knowing how busy/noisy/cramped/uncomfortable standard class on the ECML can be, I opted for first class. And I'm very glad I did, and I vowed to use first class again whenever possible. This was with East Coast, BTW, not with Stagecoach/Virgin as currently.

So when I was planning a week away for this year, to Par and Penzance, I purposefully chose first class despite the extra cost, merely for the space, ambience and calmness of the ride. And we're going to partake of brunch on the way down and dinner on the return, both in the Pullman dining car, of which I've heard some excellent reports about.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It was intended to be that way. The question of what proportion of what trains over what lines should be first class is so subjective as to be meaningless.

I was wondering if forum members thought should there should be First Class or not. Anything after that is really up to the operator as a commercial decision looking at the benefit of having it, and the cost of running it.

I know, and I'm glad it was so specific. I'm still surprised, though, that so many people are in favour of not abolishing it, given that there are regular posts here saying first class is unnecessary and elitist.

I do think, by the way, that there are more things that some operators could do to make first class a more attractive option on some trains. As you say, though, that's a matter for them and it's outside the scope of this thread!

GodAtum

On Moderation
TBH, on the trains I work I feel that if folks want to pay extra for a better chance of a seat, then so be it. Removing first class from the standard 377's we run would at the most free up 20/24 seats per 4 car unit. If these folks want to pay an extra 2 grand a year for a season, let em. On some trains I've seen those 24 seats packed out, yet lots of space elsewhere, even off peak. (all had first class tickets, I checked!!), and thats on routes without a trolley, so no free tea/coffee or water.

And as for the 'hated' 442's. their first class option is decent and folks seem to like it. When they go, some might not bother with the option, esp if its like first on the new 377's/378's which is, well crap. extending it out from the front and yet having no wall between first and standard. Bonkers. But what do we know, we are only train staff.

And as for us being just commuter runs, some are 2 3/4 hours. I can get from king X to newcastle in less, so why should it not have those 20/24 extra seats for folks who want a bit more space to work/relax.

Or we could go down india commuter trains, no seats, just first class has less folks standing!!!.

As someone who has a 1st class season I am of course biased in my view, but I would hope Southern and SWT keep their 1st class. Even at East Croydon, I can get a seat :D

I have been on a class 442 and find the 1st class armchairs very comfy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.