• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I relocate to work for northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

er2802

Looking for a bit of advice/experienced opinion...

I live in London working for a TOC down here, and I’ve been looking at relocating up north (cheaper/more comfortable life in general/girlfriend has family up there).

I’ve been invited to an interview for a role with Northern but I’ve been reading the news and I’m a little concerned about uprooting my life to move to a new company who may or may not be stripped of their franchise. I’m not too keen on the uncertainty surrounding it all.

What are people’s opinions? Is it a risk worth taking?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I've worked under 3 franchises. Same job, different uniform. I'd be out the door already tbh.

Stigy

Established Member
Irrespective of what happens with the franchise, you’ll have the same job, just under a different franchise. You won’t suddenly find yourself unemployed.

Looking for a bit of advice/experienced opinion...

I live in London working for a TOC down here, and I’ve been looking at relocating up north (cheaper/more comfortable life in general/girlfriend has family up there).

I’ve been invited to an interview for a role with Northern but I’ve been reading the news and I’m a little concerned about uprooting my life to move to a new company who may or may not be stripped of their franchise. I’m not too keen on the uncertainty surrounding it all.

What are people’s opinions? Is it a risk worth taking?

No matter whose vinyl is on the sides of the train, they will always need people to work inside of the train. They have a vacancy that needs filled, so go for it!

The uncertainty will be for the senior, senior management- but that's why they are on the big money.

er2802

I've worked under 3 franchises. Same job, different uniform. I'd be out the door already tbh.
Irrespective of what happens with the franchise, you’ll have the same job, just under a different franchise. You won’t suddenly find yourself unemployed.

Would it not be a case of last in first out if they need to make cuts or anything though? Especially with probation periods etc?

Veteran Member
Which side of the Pennines are the GF's family? You'll be aware that Northern has different issues each side :)

Having said that, as a non-railway person I relocated North a generation ago and haven't regretted it.

Stigy

Established Member
Would it not be a case of last in first out if they need to make cuts or anything though? Especially with probation periods etc?
No. They will have the same obligations to keep a set establishment regardless of which franchise it becomes. You’re at no more risk as with any other company.

er2802

Which side of the Pennines are the GF's family? You'll be aware that Northern has different issues each side :)

Having said that, as a non-railway person I relocated North a generation ago and haven't regretted it.

she has family in Blackpool and Scunthorpe, and a lot of close friends in and around York

AlexNL

Established Member
If there's nothing keeping you in London I'd go for it. Even if Northerns contract ends soon and OLR takes over you'll have a job.

Red1980

Doesn't seem like much of a risk going by what you've said. Most people only see it as risky if they're going to lose money etc.

It's certainly not a risk going by the concerns you've expressed. As many have said it's just a different uniform and there's no risk to employment whatsoever, in fact you'd probably never be safer given how short staffed they are.

As someone else said...... "I'd be in the car already" mate

notadriver

Established Member
You’ll be on first year pay with Northern until you are passed out for driving. Something to consider.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Money isn't everything and granted, for many it would be a contributing factor. However; it is often shortsighted. Your future is what you need to consider the most. Will moving to be closer to friends and family far outweigh a potential shortfall in cash flow ? Is a quieter and easier life worth the upheaval ? Is the wage drop worth the cheaper cost of living ?

Importantly, and sorry in advance but.... Is the 'Girlfriend' just a 'Girlfriend' or is she a potential wife/life partner/baby mamma/ball and chain... If your moving to start a new life together then its an even more powerful reason to move.

Due to where I live I am pretty locked into my TOC. My age is a hurdle, and my kids are still at school age and a move would be prohibitive. Still, if opportunity knocked.....

er2802

Money isn't everything and granted, for many it would be a contributing factor. However; it is often shortsighted. Your future is what you need to consider the most. Will moving to be closer to friends and family far outweigh a potential shortfall in cash flow ? Is a quieter and easier life worth the upheaval ? Is the wage drop worth the cheaper cost of living ?

Importantly, and sorry in advance but.... Is the 'Girlfriend' just a 'Girlfriend' or is she a potential wife/life partner/baby mamma/ball and chain... If your moving to start a new life together then its an even more powerful reason to move.

Due to where I live I am pretty locked into my TOC. My age is a hurdle, and my kids are still at school age and a move would be prohibitive. Still, if opportunity knocked.....

It wouldn’t actually be a wage drop. The role I’ve applied for is the same as what I do currently and pays more. So money isn’t an issue.

the girlfriend is a serious, marriage material one. Typing this out I’m starting to realise I need to go for it... haha

ComUtoR

Established Member
the girlfriend is a serious, marriage material one. Typing this out I’m starting to realise I need to go for it... haha

link is a music video by a well known female vocalist.

ILoveLamp

It wouldn’t actually be a wage drop. The role I’ve applied for is the same as what I do currently and pays more. So money isn’t an issue.

Is this gonna be the official FIRST Railforum wedding?? I’d better go buy a hat..

Aivilo

Are you driving now as I can't think of a toc down south on less than Northern.

Go for it though you'll be safe.

Any questions drop me a message

er2802

Are you driving now as I can't think of a toc down south on less than Northern.

Go for it though you'll be safe.

Any questions drop me a message

It’s not a driving job, actually. It’s in their control. The money is better than the equivalent role in my TOC.

Do you know what it’s like working for Northern? I’ve heard negative things, seems they have so much disruption it can me a bit of a nightmare a lot of the time?

Monkeyfuzz

I work for northern (conductor) and I enjoy it :) my ctms are brilliant though as is my depot x

Status
Not open for further replies.