• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should lone passengers leave empty seat pairs free for groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChewChewTrain

You’re a lone passenger who gets onto a fairly busy service. The only other passengers who get on are a couple behind you. Upon entering the seating area, you see that there’s only one “free double”, and the other free seats are all next to someone else.

Do you:
  1. Take the free double for yourself, thus more-or-less guaranteeing two seats to yourself until the next stop, but risking scorching resentment from the couple behind you for your “selfishness”, or…
  2. …leave the free double for the couple and sit next to someone else, graciously accepting the thanks from the couple (if it comes, which it probably won’t)?
I promise this isn’t the start of some “railway adventure book”. There will be no more of these “decision questions” from me, at least in this thread…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
You’re a lone passenger who gets onto a fairly busy service. The only other passengers who get on are a couple behind you. Upon entering the seating area, you see that there’s only one “free double”, and the other free seats are all next to someone else.

Do you:
  1. Take the free double for yourself, thus more-or-less guaranteeing two seats to yourself until the next stop, but risking scorching resentment from the couple behind you for your “selfishness”, or…
  2. …leave the free double for the couple and sit next to someone else, graciously accepting the thanks from the couple (if it comes, which it probably won’t)?
I promise this isn’t the start of some “railway adventure book”. There will be no more of these “decision questions” from me, at least in this thread…

My answer would be no.

I used to be more considerate on this, however after experiencing arrogance from weekend passengers on one too many occasions (*) my view is now firmly that it’s tough luck. If anyone wants a particular seat, make the effort to turn up earlier so there is more chance of a choice.

In any case, what would probably happen in practice if you did leave the double seat free is the couple will then sit there babbling away at high volume about rubbish for the whole journey, which will be a lovely display of non-consideration in return for your considerate gesture.

(* where they turn up at the last minute, can’t be bothered to walk through to an emptier part of the train but instead rudely *expect* the first table seat they come across to be made available)

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
I would take the free space, because it's just as likely the couple will want to sit opposite each other as alongside each other, and at the next station they can switch to a free seat if one becomes available.

Facing Back

Obviously you take the outside seat of the double, place your oversize luggage on the inner seat and immediately put your headphones on and clutter the table tray with food drink and a computer so it is clear that you cannot be disturbed and wont notice if you are.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This is an interesting one.

Generally I agree with the principle of first come, first served, but there are times when I have given up/offered a table to a group.

Generally as a single person I'll take an airline seat unless:

-I need a table to eat food
-All the airline seats face the wrong way (as on certain Voyager carriages)
-The train is empty and one can spread out.

But if circumstances change en route, I may relocate.

My answer would be no.

I used to be more considerate on this, however after experiencing arrogance from weekend passengers on one too many occasions (*) my view is now firmly that it’s tough luck. If anyone wants a particular seat, make the effort to turn up earlier so there is more chance of a choice.

In any case, what would probably happen in practice if you did leave the double seat free is the couple will then sit there babbling away at high volume about rubbish for the whole journey, which will be a lovely display of non-consideration in return for your considerate gesture.

(* where they turn up at the last minute, can’t be bothered to walk through to an emptier part of the train but instead rudely *expect* the first table seat they come across to be made available)

I agree. If the said passengers don't seem to justify giving up the table, I may hold firm.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I will take the double and sit by the window.

They are adults and can survive an hour or so without being joined at the hip.

Parent and child I would offer the double to, though.

xotGD

Established Member
If I was already sitting and a couple came on and had to sit apart (one beside me), I will offer to swap so that they could be together.

Established Member

Do you:

Standard procedure for me would be to quickly dive for the two seats (cutting in front of people if necessary) and sit in the aisle seat so nobody can sit next to me.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Free double every time.

Sleepy

Established Member
Take the double seat - they'll probably sit there playing loud music & then cause the train to be delayed when they give the guard abuse when found to be ticketless / on child tickets / 8 hours early on Advance tickets * delete as appropriate and refuse to pay.

Skiddaw

If I was already sitting and a couple came on and had to sit apart (one beside me), I will offer to swap so that they could be together.
I've done that. Otherwise I'm with the 'sit by the window' camp.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I would always take the airline double first, and I wouldn't offer to swap unless they were disturbing me. However if asked politely if I would move I would do so unless there was a good reason to refuse the other seat. I try and avoid taking a table seat unless it's reservations, or there is already 1 single person at the table, in which case I would sit diagonally opposite to them.

Having said that normally I am either on trains with lots of seats or very few, so it is not a conscious choice to deny the seat to anybody, I just find a space.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I hadn't read the OP properly.

If there's only one double seat, I'll go for it regardless (apart from anything else, it's against etiquette to sit next to a stranger when a double is available).

STINT47

The correct etiquette for a single rail passenger in 2023 is as follows.

You should take the aisle seat and place all of your luggage and coat on the window seat.

You then spend half the journey shouting into your phone about your recent doctors appointment and love life, whilst having the phone on conference as everyone else wants to hear the full discussion.

For the other half of the journey you must watch a movie on your laptop without headphones, whilst munching away on some smelly food and drinking an energy deink before spilling half of it over the table and floor.

At no time should you attempt to consider the needs of other passengers or the consequences of your actions. You are the only person who matters and the world and everyone in it are irrelevant.

Established Member
My view :-

First come first served, unless you've reserved

Or if someone chooses to give up a seat for another that's their choice, but someone who hasn't reserved shouldn't expect someone else's seat.

If someone really wants a specific seat they should get on a stop earlier, or walk up the platform to a quieter door.

zwk500

Veteran Member
My view :-

First come first served, unless you've reserved

Or if someone chooses to give up a seat for another that's their choice, but someone who hasn't reserved shouldn't expect someone else's seat.
This. It's perfectly fine to ask politely if you've got a reason, but you shouldn't expect anybody else to move unless you've got a reservation.

Facing Back

This. It's perfectly fine to ask politely if you've got a reason, but you shouldn't expect anybody else to move unless you've got a reservation.
agreed. I'll move for a family with young kids quite happily - without being asked. Otherwise it very much depends but normally no. But that wasn't the question asked - I would take the double seat but expect to give up the window seat on a busy train.

As most of my travel was intercity I'll book the single seat side so it doesn't arise and on short journeys it is not so important to be able to spread out.

route101

Established Member
I see it now and again when a lone passenger is almost forced out a bay of 4 by a group. I sometimes feel the pressure to move when sat in airline. Certainly if its a family.

Amos

The correct etiquette for a single rail passenger in 2023 is as follows.

You should take the aisle seat and place all of your luggage and coat on the window seat.

You then spend half the journey shouting into your phone about your recent doctors appointment and love life, whilst having the phone on conference as everyone else wants to hear the full discussion.

For the other half of the journey you must watch a movie on your laptop without headphones, whilst munching away on some smelly food and drinking an energy deink before spilling half of it over the table and floor.

At no time should you attempt to consider the needs of other passengers or the consequences of your actions. You are the only person who matters and the world and everyone in it are irrelevant.
Or,instead of energy drinks,copious amounts of alcohol.Personally I would choose the first available seat.

LLivery

Established Member
If honest, it just depends on the day. Sometimes you just want to be left alone in the seat, but I try to be considerate.

I've given a mother with two young kids the bay seat on Thameslink before. They didn't see me sitting before they got there, but I offered it and took an airline seat. The lady was really grateful and I'd happily do that again.

Even on the Overground, I've had people offer to swap seats so I can sit next to my partner and I'd do the same.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've moved for a (well behaved) group of lads.

I've been a group of lads in my time.

ChewChewTrain

I will take the double and sit by the window.

They are adults and can survive an hour or so without being joined at the hip.

Parent and child I would offer the double to, though.
Yes, that’s different and I would too.

Yes, I would and often have. As well as being a “good deed”, there is also the selfish aspect of not wanting to hear one of them talking next to you (and possibly across you) for the whole journey.

So far, I’m in general agreement with the responses.

Just to add that I don’t think the only possible reason for choosing the aisle seat of an empty double is to discourage people from sitting next to you. If one is 6’4” then (legroom-depending) being able to put your legs partly in the aisle if someone does sit next to you can be very useful.

If the unintended result is that people are discouraged from sitting next to me then I can’t help that! I look up in people’s general direction as they walk past, more than ready and willing to spring up and let them in at a moment’s notice should they wish me to.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Does it depend on who or what the couple are?
If they are a pair of pensioners who want to sit next to each other would some members here really be that selfish?
And etiquette not to sit next to anyone? Really?? I've never heard of such a thing.

Facing Back

Not really the question but a number of years back on a latish tube a group of young adults wanted to sit together on a tube and were pressuring passengers to move. When I refused one of them grabbed my luggage and threw it off the train at a stop so obviously I had to get up to retrieve it and one one the lads pinched my seat.

lachlan

Depends on what mood I'm in. I usually go for a table seat anyway (is that selfish as a single passenger?). If the train is likely to be standing room only then I will offer to swap as it doesn't matter what stranger I sit beside. I will always go for an empty pair of seats first however.

If all other seats are full then sitting in the aisle seat and blocking an empty one is selfish, and I would tell you to move over to allow me to sit.

Steve4031

I would take the window seat because I like looking out. If it were a person traveling with a younger child, I would probably leave the set of 2 seats for them. Since on most longer trips in the UK, it is possible to reserve a seat; I would have reserved a desirable window seat ahead of time. Once I've paid for the reservation, then the seat is mine, IMHO.

RyanOPlasty

I wouldn't sit next to another passenger if there are free double seats, but I would then offer to move to allow two passengers to sit together on a busy train.

philosopher

Established Member
I see it now and again when a lone passenger is almost forced out a bay of 4 by a group. I sometimes feel the pressure to move when sat in airline. Certainly if its a family.
Sitting in a bay of four as a lone passenger I tend to avoid for this reason. If the train is busy you are likely to get a couple or group of three sitting next to you, so if you want a quieter journey, sitting in an airline seat makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.