• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should the railways be nationalised?

Should the railways be nationalised?

• Yes, the railways should be fully nationalised.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • No, the railways should be completely privatised.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • The current model should be retained.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • An alternative public-private combination should be implemented.

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • I am a rail enthusiast.

Votes: 47 50.5%
  • I am a driver.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I am a guard/conductor/train manager.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I am a signaller.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I am another industry member.

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • I am a rail user.

Votes: 58 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minstral25

Established Member
Railways are a Public Service and they need subsidy.

It really doesn't matter if it is Nationalised or run by private companies, the Railways need subsidy to provide an effective and quality service to rail users throughout the country.

Governments (especially Conservatives) don't want to pay the Subsidy and the main aim of Franchising was to get private companies to make the Investment instead of utilising Subsidy in hope of future extra profits for said private companies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Railways are a Public Service and they need subsidy.

It really doesn't matter if it is Nationalised or run by private companies, the Railways need subsidy to provide an effective and quality service to rail users throughout the country.

Governments (especially Conservatives) don't want to pay the Subsidy and the main aim of Franchising was to get private companies to make the Investment instead of utilising Subsidy in hope of future extra profits for said private companies.
That sounds a fantastic plan. Who cares if the private companies make a profit if they stop the taxpayer needing to subsidise the railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.