• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Are these day tickets ('trangers', 'rovers') well known in England and popular?

On your UK rail replacement buses, are tickets ever checked?
Quite well known amongst the people who use them. More information here:

shredder1

Established Member
Are these day tickets ('trangers', 'rovers') well known in England and popular?

On your UK rail replacement buses, are tickets ever checked?

They call the South Pennine ticket a Ranger ticket, but essentially it is a rover ticket for that area, Ive never had a ticket checked on a replacement bus yet, I doubt the bus driver would know what he was looking at anyway

shredder1

Established Member
Doncaster. Saturday 4th March 2023.

After last Saturday’s action, I was back over to Doncaster again and it was just as good as last Saturday. There is so much variety at Doncaster at the moment, especially with the diversions and the convoy. I decided to make a full day of it this Saturday and after my short drive to Crumpsall Metrolink station, I was down at Manchester Piccadilly for the 07.08 Transpennine class 185 over to Doncaster, arriving just before 08.30 on a chilly morning.

The action started more or less as soon as I arrived, with a missed freight passing on the far works yard lines. The usual lads were on the end of platform 3, the Meercats, quite funny really as all their heads appear to move in unison when any loco appears and they also move around the station in a group, so by following them, you usually get into the action shots. The first diversion was the Tesco with DRS class 88007 double-headed with class 68003, Other class 66 workings included 66509, 66015, 66155, 66004, 66525, 66559, on the convoy was 66770, 66760, 66761, 66779, 66739 and 66782. We were also treated to a pair of Colas class 56s 56090 and 56096, the Engineering train also came in with top and tail Colas class 37219 and 37254. DB red liveried, class 67028 was on Thunderbird duties.

I took lunch at the Frenchgate Café and just arrived back on the platforms as diversion double-headed DRS class 88s were moving southbound and I had also missed a northbound diversion. I left Doncaster on the 15.40 Transpennine class 185 and as we passed through the closed Rotherham Masborough railway station, Double-headed northbound DRS Cats, were stopped at signals. On arrival back into Manchester Piccadilly I was passed by a TfW class 67, in front of what looked like a West Coast Trains rake, I’m not sure what that was. Another great day though.

shredder1

Established Member
Keighley & Worth Valley Winter Steam Gala. Saturday 11th March 2023.

Nice to get back to a steam gala again and my first one this year. A lovely snowy one too. I wasn’t sure Id get through on the roads. I left North Manchester at 07.00 and drove my usual route past Hollingworth Lake, the Blackstone Edge and down Cragg Vale to Hebden Bridge and over Oxenhope Moor. Most of the snow had gone had gone as I left my village, but by the time I was climbing towards Blackstone Edge, the Pennines were white and once Id turned off the A62 and headed down Cragg Vale, large snow drifts appeared on each side of the road, with cars that had been abandoned and left in the drifts from the night before. On climbing out of Hebden Bridge up onto Oxenhope moor, snow drifts appeared again, but narrowing the road down to only one lane in places, with again a number of abandoned cars in the snow drifts. I however got through without much trouble, and soon dropped down into Haworth and the sheds.

An amazing site was awaiting me at Haworth sheds, with 8 in steam, Worth Valley steam galas are not to be missed. The line-up was Black 5MTs 44871, 45407, 45212, Jubilees 5XP 45690 “Leander” and 45596 “Bahamas”, LNWR Coal Tank 1054 and Taff Vale class 02, 85, BR Standard class 2MT 78022 was rostered, but failed, so substitute BR Standard class 4MT 75078 too its place.

It was an amazing gala, lovely to catch up with a few old friends. I was trackside all day. After my Haworth shed visit, I drove down to Keighley and took a few photographs around the station areas and at the top of the bank, before driving over to Ingrow West and with a visit to the bookshop.

I then drove up to Oakworth for some lineside photographs on the bank, and finally drove to Oxenhope for my final photographs of the day. The weather was superb at times with bright sunny spells and snow on the ground, a great combination. I had a chippy tea at Haworth before driving back over the moors and home, the roads were clear and a great day was had.

xotGD

Established Member
Some lovely shots there. And I was on quite a few of the services you photographed.

As you say, a great gala, and the snow-covered landscape just added to the occasion.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Saturday 12th March 2023.

After an early session at the gym and a Sunday roast in my favourite pub, I was on the short drive up to Bury and the East Lancs Railway. The “Flying Scotsman” was on the railway, celebrating its 100th year, and in BR German winnie livery, the best livery I’ve always felt), along with the GWR Saint Class “Lady of Legend”, (built by reversing the process of 4942 ‘Maindy Hall’ and also adding a few original Saint parts, quite an achievement for preservationists), was also visiting.

The Flying Scotsman always brings the punters in, which is great for the railway, but too busy on the platforms for photography. I did however manage a few photographs of the Saint. It was also nice to see British Tar Products Ltd, Irlam, Sentinel 0-4-0 VBDT 7232 “Ann” out and shunting around the museum yard, complete with two pristine tankers in BTPL liveries. A great job guys.

railfan99

Established Member
Some lovely shots there. And I was on quite a few of the services you photographed.

As you say, a great gala, and the snow-covered landscape just added to the occasion.

How many passengers do you estimate K&WVR carried during the day?

From Australia, I was at GCR's Loughborough Central to Liecester North September 2022 steam gala and while only there on the Friday (apparently never as busy as the weekend) there were probably in excess of 150 on most of the trains on which I travelled, with seven locos in steam plus one diesel.

xotGD

Established Member
How many passengers do you estimate K&WVR carried during the day?

From Australia, I was at GCR's Loughborough Central to Liecester North September 2022 steam gala and while only there on the Friday (apparently never as busy as the weekend) there were probably in excess of 150 on most of the trains on which I travelled, with seven locos in steam plus one diesel.
Sorry, I can't really estimate overall numbers. What I can say is that the carriage I sat in for most of the day had all seats taken plus people standing. Wasn't even the front coach, and if anything that will have been even fuller.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Saturday 12th March 2023.

After an early session at the gym and a Sunday roast in my favourite pub, I was on the short drive up to Bury and the East Lancs Railway. The “Flying Scotsman” was on the railway, celebrating its 100th year, and in BR German winnie livery, the best livery I’ve always felt), along with the GWR Saint Class “Lady of Legend”, (built by reversing the process of 4942 ‘Maindy Hall’ and also adding a few original Saint parts, quite an achievement for preservationists), was also visiting.

The Flying Scotsman always brings the punters in, which is great for the railway, but too busy on the platforms for photography. I did however manage a few photographs of the Saint. It was also nice to see British Tar Products Ltd, Irlam, Sentinel 0-4-0 VBDT 7232 “Ann” out and shunting around the museum yard, complete with two pristine tankers in BTPL liveries. A great job guys.

Fiancée bought me tickets for this on Saturday. Really can't wait!

railfan99

Established Member
Fiancée bought me tickets for this on Saturday. Really can't wait!

I travelled in September 2022. It receives criticism on fora for being 'too suburban' and 'seeing back of houses.'. I don't agree, although Bury Bolton St - Heywood section wasn't interesting. The rest of the line was often beautiful including the lovely bridge, and I loved the stations en route. I alighted at Ramsbottom, admired the historic shops and had a half pint of Pale Ale beer at the pleasant pub opposite the railway station before joining the next train.

While my favourite is West Somerset Railway (travel on it if you can), ELR is excellent. The volunteers complained about patronage that Saturday but it seemed reasonable.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I travelled in September 2022. It receives criticism on fora for being 'too suburban' and 'seeing back of houses.'. I don't agree, although Bury Bolton St - Heywood section wasn't interesting. The rest of the line was often beautiful including the lovely bridge, and I loved the stations en route. I alighted at Ramsbottom, admired the historic shops and had a half pint of Pale Ale beer at the pleasant pub opposite the railway station before joining the next train.

While my favourite is West Somerset Railway (travel on it if you can), ELR is excellent. The volunteers complained about patronage that Saturday but it seemed reasonable.

Done both in my 37 years :D just not the bit to Heywood yet.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Braver than me going out in such weather! It was much clearer down here in my part of the world, if it had been snowing there's no way I'd have been out adventuring!

Good to hear of two positive days out though. I haven't done a gala in a long time, or indeed a heritage railway for any purpose. I went by the Avon Valley line last year, but it wasn't operating on the day I was there. Maybe this year I will get there.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Flying Scotsman. Saturday 18th March 2023.

Just a short session today as I’m flying out to Poland in the early hours, but just wanted to catch up with the Flying Scotsman before I left the country. I was out for the first run up to Rawtenstall, where I had an excellent breakfast in the Bread Shop opposite the railway station. I was then on the end of the platform waiting for her to arrive, and what a splendid arrival she made. Plenty of punters on the end of the platform trying to take photographs.

My next move was to drive down to Irwell Vale, where I caught up with the Scotsman returning to Bury, tender first, and then I waited for the GWR Saints class, “Lady of Legend” heading northbound for Rawtenstall. I then drove down to Ramsbottom sidings to photograph the Scotsman on her second run, at 11.00 off Bury. So, a worthwhile trip out, before I jet away again bashing Polish branch lines.

xotGD

Established Member
Some lovely shots there. I was also in Ramsbottom today, but a bit later in the day than you were.

Both of the Scotsman services I saw looked to be fully booked. A decent number having a trip behind 2999 too.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I was on the 13:00 Scotsman run yesterday as well as a Lady of Legend either side and a short run to and from Heywood to clear the line.

shredder1

Established Member
Some lovely shots there. I was also in Ramsbottom today, but a bit later in the day than you were.

Both of the Scotsman services I saw looked to be fully booked. A decent number having a trip behind 2999 too.
Thank you very much. Yes the ELR did well from the Scotsman`s visit.

shredder1

Established Member
Cheshire Day Ranger. Saturday 1st April 2023.

I was back on English soil again, and after Poland, I was a bit stuck for somewhere to go, so I opted for my go to Cheshire Day Ranger ticket, for Crewe, Chester and Liverpool and just to see what was around.

I took a Metrolink tram from Crumpsall to Manchester Victoria and caught a Chester service, a double class 195 to Chester via Warrington Bank Quay, leaving Manchester just before 08.00. On arrival into Chester, I was surprised at all the new TfW class 197s in evidence, with 4 sets parked up opposite the station and two sets operating, in fact I copped 4 altogether. My next move was breakfast, a full English from the Town Cryer, opposite the railway station. Breakfast over and I was on the next train down to Crewe, a TfW 2 car class 156.

I arrived into Crewe just in time to phot the HST Midland Pullman on a charter, passing through the station. I next walked out to the Heritage Centre, mainly looking for railway books, although I didn’t find any of interest, I did find 4 totem fridge magnets I didn’t have.

I managed to get a lift back to the railway station from someone looking for directions, and then caught an Avanti Pendolino up to Liverpool Lime Street. I was next heading down the tunnels with a train out to Birkenhead Central, where I walked up the hill to check out Mollington Street, and the entrances to Birkenhead`s old depot, sadly the road has a gate across it now, with scrapped cars beyond, but the actually site of the depot is just overgrown and again gated off, with the shed buildings flattened.

From Birkenhead North I caught a train back under the River Mersey to Moorfields with a change for the Northern Line and another train out to Kirkdale. Quite a number of the new Merseyrail class 777s are now on shed and one was actually operating on the Birkenhead to Kirby line, so I managed to eventually have my first ride on one. I was impressed, good acceleration, hard but reasonable seats for new units, but very large windows, to give you an excellent view from the train. This year should see them rolled out on more routes and I’m looking forward to another visit.

I returned from Kirby to Liverpool Central and took the escalators back up to Liverpool Lime Street for a Northern class 319 back into Manchester Victoria and home. A productive day and my first ride on a class 777s.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh wow we were on the rails in the North West on the same day as each other! I did 777008 on the 1913 from Kirkby on Saturday. We will have come close to each other!

shredder1

Established Member
Oh wow we were on the rails in the North West on the same day as each other! I did 777008 on the 1913 from Kirkby on Saturday. We will have come close to each other!

Small world mate, yes 777 008 was the only one running on Saturday, I think my trip would have been mid afternoon.

shredder1

Established Member
Merseyrail Day Saver. Saturday 8th April 2023.

A nice weekend was forecast over Easter, I didn’t really fancy going too far a field and did hear that the TfW class 230 units had finally started running on the Border Line, Bidston to Wrexham Central, although the service was still a bit sketchy, I decided to have a train ride over to Liverpool again and see if I could get a ride on them.

My original intention was to enter the Merseyrail network via the Wigan Kirkby line, but a bus service was operating on a section of it, probably due to the Headbolt Lane development, so on taking a 158 Sprinter from Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate, I crossed the road to Wigan North-western railway station and caught a Northern class 319 direct to Liverpool Lime Street.

I was soon down the tunnels and on one the Wirral lines, first on a Brighton service to Birkenhead Park and then a change to a West Kirby service as far as Bidston. My heart dipped a little though as I passed Birkenhead North depot and saw TfW units’ class 230 006, 007 and 010 were parked outside the depot and on arrival into Bidston, it was confirmed by the ticket office, that no trains were running on the Borders Line, only a bus service to Wrexham, so that was it.

From Bidston I walked past the site of the former Bidston MPD and along the river, until I crossed it on a small bridge, which took me to the side of the railway line in the depot yard, as one of the classes 230`s was parked up, so that I could get a reasonable photograph. I walked back through a football field and sports ground, across a park and eventually arrived at Birkenhead North railway station, where I caught a train back to Bidston.

My next move was from Bidston back into Liverpool Central and a class 777 out to Fazakerley. I found out that no less than 3 different class 777s were operation on the Liverpool Central to Kirby services, so thought I would indulge myself and take a few trips on this new class. I stopped off at Rice Lane and Kirkdale for a few photographs before going back to Liverpool Central to go back down to the Wirral Lines and catch a train to Chester. Not as many of the new TfW class 197s parked up this Saturday, but I still managed to cop another two.

I later returned to Liverpool Central and up the escalators to Liverpool Lime Street, catching a Northern class 319 back to Wigan North-western, a walk across the road to Wigan Wallgate, when I was just in time for a Northern Flex class 769 to Knott Mill and Deansgate, Manchester from where I walked across the bridge and caught a Metrolink tram back to my car and the drive home, despite not having had a ride on the TfW class 230s, it was still an enjoyable day out.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Twin Peaks Diesel Gala. Saturday 15th April 2023.

The gala was a collaboration between Peakrail and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, who were selling two tickets for the one event and had regular vintage bus services taking visitors between each venue.

I was out and on the road for 06.30, I don’t mind driving down to Derbyshire because its mainly back roads and a non-motorway route with less traffic early morning, I’m not a great fan of driving these days. I put on a Hawkwind DVD in the player and settled in for the drive.

My first stop was Peak Forest to see the celebrity class 20s operating on shunting duties. 20007 in original BR green livery and 20205 in corporate blue livery which were park up conveniently for photographs. Loading up with a stone train was class 60044 “Dowlow”, in DB Schenker livery.

I next drove down to Wirksworth and parked up in the station car park, I was there an hour too soon though for breakfast in the station coach, just before 09.00 however, a girl who was obviously rushed off her feet, arrived at my table to take the order, not the best breakfast I’ve had, but it was much welcomed and went down without touching the sides of my throat. Locomotives rostered were class 47, D1842 in classic two-tone green livery, 26007 in two-tone grey rail freight coal sector livery, electro-diesel 73001 in corporate blue livery, D9537 in black livery, and class 31601 in DCR livery, and class 121 DMU W55034 on the branch line..

After taking plenty of photographs around the site, (I wasn’t travelling on the trains, but mainly going lineside), I visited the bookshop and spent £100 on Middleton Press books, plus a breakfast, so despite not buying a ticket, I did put something back into the railway. I later drove down to Shottle. Access to platform 2 has now been built since my last visit, so its now possible to change trains there on gala days, it will make such a difference. Trains over the gala weekend however were only running to the outskirts of Duffield railway station, due to an embankment issue, trains were changing rear locomotives at Shottle though, for topping and tailing towards Duffield and back to Shottle. I later returned to Wirksworth and then drove over to Peakrail at Rowsey, to join the other gala.

I had a wonder around the yard and also visited the bookshop, but nothing in there I didn’t already have. So, I had a brew in the station café. Locomotives running at Peakrail were D1501 in BR two-tone green, 37310 in large logo, corporate blue livery, class 25, D7659 in BR two-tone green livery and Peak class D8 in BR green and class 03901 diesel shunter in green livery.

I later took a leisurely drive back up the A6 to north Manchester and arrived home for around 18.00, a very enjoyable day out and well done to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway and Peakrail for an excellent joint event. I hope both railways did well over the weekend and for the casual or first-time visitor, it probably worked out well, from an enthusiast’s point of view however, I felt a bit rushed trying to see everything and travelling on the trains and the free connecting bus service would have been time consuming, but as long as both railways gained financially, then it was worthwhile.

Peakrail website,

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway website

shredder1

Established Member
West Yorkshire Day Rover. Saturday 22nd April 2023,

My original plan was to visit the Talyllyn “Anything Goes Gala”, which would have meant that they would have had a good selection of locos out running. I needed however to be up at 03.30 for the 05.11 Cross Country service from Manchester Piccadilly and then had 4 changes to arrive there for 09.30, and I certainly didn’t fancy the drive down there. I did however knock the alarm off and overslept, so that trip was out. With nothing else happening around the north or midlands, I opted for a West Yorkshire day rover ticket, just to see if anything interesting was around.

I boarded a Transpennine Nova 1, just after 08.00 direct to Leeds, from Manchester Victoria. At ticket office I shown by GM free pass, bought a West Yorkshire day ranger ticket and asked to pay a return fare to the border. I had however forgotten about the diversions and it was only once I was sat on the train and checked my ticket, that I realised I’d been sold a ticket from Greenfield to Huddersfield to bridge the gap between my West Yorkshire day rover and my GM rail pass, but trains weren’t going between Greenfield and Huddersfield, so the ticket seller had also overlooked this fact. Since I didn’t have my ticket checked in the dead zone, I was fine, in retrospect I suppose I should have been issues a ticket from Littleborough to Dewsbury, but still never mind.

I arrived into a wet Leeds by around 09.00, and went to check the pubs near the railway station for breakfast, but none were open in the immediate vicinity, so I walked up the hill to Wetherspoons Becket`s Bank to dry off with an egg benedict and a hot coffee.

Returning to Leeds City station, my next move was a ride up to the Worth Valley Railway at Keighley, on a Northern class 158, to check out the bookshop at Ingrow West and leaving, having only spent £16, this time on books. I travelled from Keighley to Ingrow behind BR Standard class 5 75078. From Ingrow I travelled on newly re-liveried 144 011, put back into West Yorkshire red Metro train livery and alighted at Haworth, forgetting that the dmu didn’t return, which would have left a few hours wait for the Standard 5 to return, so I caught a bus outside the railway station which took me back into Keighley.

From Keighley railway station I caught a class 333 back into Leeds. I decided to have a ride out to Castleford to see how progress was taking place on the station rebuild. It seems to be a very slow job, the second platform isn’t finished yet and neither is the footbridge, not sure what the hold-up has been.

I returned to Leeds and came back to Manchester Victoria on a Northern class 195 via Bradford Interchange. The rain had stopped as the day moved on, so not a bad day out really.

D6130

Established Member
I arrived into a wet Leeds by around 09.00, and went to check the pubs near the railway station for breakfast, but none were open in the immediate vicinity, so I walked up the hill to Wetherspoons Becket`s Bank to dry off with an egg benedict and a hot coffee.
Wasn't the Wetherspoons on Leeds station open? Good day out anyway....and you got to enjoy the splendid scenery of the Calder Valley line (so much better than the Huddersfield line IMHO, but then I'm biased!) ;)

shredder1

Established Member
Wasn't the Wetherspoons on Leeds station open? Good day out anyway....and you got to enjoy the splendid scenery of the Calder Valley line (so much better than the Huddersfield line IMHO, but then I'm biased!) ;)

Yes I missed the one near the station, Id forgotten all about it.