• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Severn Valley Railway. Spring Diesel Festival. Saturday 20th May 2023.

The alarm was set for 03.30, it was Saturday again and I was off down to the Severn Valley gala for the day. Catching the infamous 05.11 Cross Country Voyager from Manchester Piccadilly to Kidderminster changing at Wolverhampton and Galton Bridge and arriving into Kidderminster for 08.32.

I spent the entire day at Kidderminster. First checking out all the bookstalls for any of the rarer books I’m on the lookout for. I waiting for the queue for breakfast to drop off and eventually got served, a full English in a polystyrene tray, £10 with a coffee and it was the usual crap that you get served at preserved railway galas, but as long as it helps the railway, you don’t mind so much. I then went to check the books in the museum, but found nothing of interest apart from four B & R DVDs which I didn’t have in my collection, and at £5 each, a bargain.

I then headed for the over bridge in front of the station yard, Id taken a collapsible stool to see over the parapets, I couldn’t believe the number of cranks on the bridge and all with an assortment or ladders, stools and other items to stand on, nearly every gap was taken, but I managed to squeeze into a favoured spot, without knocking anyone off their ladders.

The Severn Valley Railway pulled all the stops out and provided an excellent gala with lots of variety, including a class 88, class 60 and class 57 from the main line and also one of the short formation Great Western HSTs sets, plus a couple of engineering department class 73s, class 50, class 56, class 52s, class 31, class 33, along with others running on various days.

After a few hours on the overbridge, I returned to the railway station and booked on one of the shed tours. They are now charging £10, but great value as the one I was on took us everywhere, right to the bottom of the carriage sheds, all through the diesel depot and also across to the goods depot, it lasted just short of an hour and a half.

As the sun moved around, and it was a glorious and very hot day, I moved to the viewing area at the top of the car park and spent the rest of the afternoon in that location. It was without doubt an excellent event, a big well done to the Severn Valley Railway and all involved in the gala, well done guys.

shredder1

Established Member
Great Central Railway. Saturday 27th May 2023.

Another early start with the alarm set at 03.30 for the 05.11 Cross Country to Crewe, but I actually caught a Pendolino leaving a few minutes early at 05.05, which was a good move because I managed to get a shot of the Holyhead behind a TfW class 67 013, and also a DRS class 88 003, which stopped in front of me to pick up a driver.

I then boarded an East Midlands 2 car class 170 DMU to Derby and got chatting to a lovely Chinese girl, who was also running down to my destination, Loughborough, and was unsure of the trains. I was heading for the Great Central Railway, I had been invited by a mate from Grantham, Ash, who had a spare ticket for me. A class 50 was supposed to be running and in original Network Southeast livery, but sadly it failed and was substituted with a Class 37 714, but that was fine by me. They also had an 8F 48305, and Riddles 78018 class 2 rostered, plus a Metro-Camm Class 101 DMU on the Mountsorrel branch workings. I visited the station café for a spot of breakfast, but all they had was cold sandwiches, one thing I like about the Great Central Railway is the attention to detail and authenticity, the cheese sandwich I ordered was stale with the corners turning up and brought back some lovely memories of BR days.

From Derby I changed trains with my little Chinese friend to an East Midland Meridian to Loughborough and left her at the station. I then made my way around to Loughborough Central and walked down to view the locomotive sheds. I later returned to the station and was the first one in the second-hand bookshop and managed to spend £30 on books, as you do.

My phone went off at 09.30, Ash had arrived at the station, it was nice to catch up and the first train we jumped was the DMU and a ride up the Mountsorrel branch as it had been a few years since Id been up there. Returning to Rothley, we then caught the class 37 to Leicester North, which was 40 minutes down on time. We returned to Quorn and Woodhouse for lunch. We visited the Butler Henderson café and had a full English breakfast, for a preserved railway breakfast it was very good with everything cooked well.

Returning to the railway station, we next caught the returning class 37 back to Loughborough as the afternoon sun was now shining on the line up of diesels ideal for photographs, after which we had a beer each, it was a gorgeous and hot day and the beer helped cool us off. We returned to Leicester North behind the class 37 and again returned to Loughborough Central.

I was catching the 17.05 returning via Nottingham to Manchester, we both walked back to the Midland station at Loughborough, but I said my goodbyes to Ash on the station as he was catching a later train back. From Nottingham I was surprised to find my East Midland service back to Manchester was an ex Southern class 170, still in green livery, although I didn’t manage a photograph of it coming arriving at Nottingham, I did jump out at Sheffield for a few photographs and also left the train at Stockport for a few more. I returned into Manchester Piccadilly on the Next Cross-Country Voyager and was back home for 20.30, so a great day out and nice to catch up with Ash.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That looks like it was a really good day! Well done on catching the ex-Southern Turbostar too, and good work on assisting your fellow passenger with the changes on their journey to Loughborough :)

shredder1

Established Member
Heaton Park Tramway Museum, Manchester. Monday 29th May 2023.

Bank Holiday Monday, and I was up early and over to the gym at Bury for a heavy leg session, followed by a relaxing sauna and lunch in a village pub. The weather was glorious again, so after dropping the car off at the house, I walked down to Heaton Park to visit the tram museum, it’s only a ten-minute walk from my home and I probably don’t support it as much as I should. I’ve lived in Rhodes Village since 1981 and watched with interest each extension the tramway has made over the years.

Heaton Park Tramway is a very enthusiast friendly operation and after buying an all-day rover ticket on the trams, only £5.00, I was also treated to a tour of Lakeside tram sheds by a very knowledgably volunteer. The Tramway have plenty of work to keep them going along with long-term plans to extend to Heaton Park Metrolink station, with possibly a new profiled line to take both modern LRT trams and original vehicles, with an interchange at the Lakeside depot, the group also intend building an add on to the existing lakeside depot to house the T68 1007 Metrolink tram, presently in store at Trafford Depot.

Trams running on my visit were Blackpool 619 and later double decked open top Stockport 5, with Hull 96 on static display. Inside Lakeside depot are the only two surviving original Manchester electric trams, Manchester 173 and Manchester 765, alongside Oldham 43, Rawtenstall 23, Blackpool 1 752 Works Car, Blackpool Balloon 239/702, and Blackpool Brush Car 623/286. The group presently have around 30 active members and always welcome more, its certainly well worth a visit.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I keep forgetting that exists, I will have to go up some day and do it. £5 for a day ticket sounds good value, it must be said :)

shredder1

Established Member
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. Saturday 3rd June 2023.

A trip over the hill again, a few interesting diesel shunters were operating which included MDHB number 32, Hudswell Clarke BR D2511 Mechanical shunter, Teddy Bear class 14, D9520, BR Standard 4MT 75078 on the second path, and the Flying Scotsman on display on the sheds at Haworth.

I drove over the hill to Haworth and had the usually view and pictures of the sheds from the bridge, before taking breakfast at the Buffet Car Café in front of Haworth railway station. I then drove down to Ingrow West and parked the car up for the day. I boarded the first train out to Keighley, behind shunters Class 14 D 9520 and MDHB number 32. After photographing them running around their train and departing, I waited for the Standard 4 to arrive and do the same.

I caught the Standard 4 back to Ingrow West and paid my obligatory visit to the museum bookshop, only spending £35 on this occasion. On returning to Ingrow West station, I was on time for the returning Standard 4 back down to Keighley and returned on this to the top of the line at Oxenhope.

I caught the same train back to Haworth, a visit to the station bookshop and then I had a wonder across to the depot to photograph the Scotsman. My next move was the shunters back to Oakworth and a walk up the track to catch the Standard 4 heading towards Oxenhope. Returning to Oakworth station for the diesels on the return trip back to Ingrow West to pick the car up. I then drove back to Oakworth for my final photographs of the day.

A chip shop tea in Haworth and then a leisurely drive back over the hill to North Manchester. A great day and in some fantastic weather.

shredder1

Established Member
Acton Bridge. Cheshire. Monday 5th June 2023.

My mate One Manc gave me a ring the night before and asked if I fancied a run over to Acton Bridge, Cheshire on the West Coast Main Line. So obviously I was up for it as it is a busy stretch of line. One Manc picked me up at 08.00 on Monday morning for the drive over to Acton Bridge, and despite hitting a bit of morning rush hour traffic we arrived just before 09.00, but not quite early enough to photograph a pair of class 66`s dashing northwards.

The weather was again glorious with very few clouds in the sky, we set up a couple of fold up chairs in the field line side, drinks and sandwiches to hand, and settled back in the sunshine for a good day’s action. We were treated to the following locomotive movements, southbound, 60062 Steel on Steel livery, GBRf 60002, DRS 88003, Freightliner 66528 Freightliner 66543, double-headed DRS 88006 and 88018, GBRf 66302, and small convoy of 2 class 90`s 90014 and 90042, EWS liveried 66181 and 66200. Northbound, GBRf 66763, Freightliner 66528, Freightliner 66524, EWS liveried 66013, Freightliner 70017, Freightliner 66543, and Freightliner 66524.

We left at around 15.30 to miss the traffic on the way home, not the busiest it’s been at Acton Bridge, but still a good result.

shredder1

Established Member
Midland Road Freightliner TMD Leeds. Saturday 10th June 2023.

Sadly two new buildings have been built at the back of the shed yard against the fences to Midland Road, which now makes a lot of photographic locations significantly restricted to what they once were, such a shame.

I called in at Midland Road depot as I do when ever I'm visiting a Middleton Railway event, as its only around the corner.

shredder1

Established Member
The Middleton Railway, Leeds, Diesel Event. Saturday 10th June 2023.

The Middleton Railway was celebrating 90 years plus of the diesel over the weekend. It is a railway I enjoy visiting, a very friendly railway, with an excellent collection of rarities, albeit one of our smaller preserved railways, but also our oldest and I always find something of interest there.

After a drive over the hill, my first port of call was Midland Road Freightliner diesel depot, sadly a couple of new buildings have been erected against the fencing on Midland Road itself, which has restricted photography quite significantly.

After taking what photographs I could around Midland Road depot, I drove over to the Middleton railway, which is only five minutes away, and I was in the car park for 09.30 and it was already filling up with punters. The event opened at 10.00. I was first in the ticket queue, £10 for a day rover, not bad value. I had a brew and sandwich in the café and a look around the second-hand book stalls and was surprised to find an excellent copy of the David and Charles Series Monographs, Midland Compounds, from 1965, one of the rarer ones to find and they were only asking for a donation, so I paid a fiver.

Locomotives running were Hudswell Clarke D631 “Carroll”, (Saturday only), Hudswell Clarke D577 “Mary”, Hunslet 1697 John Alcock”, Kerr Stuart KS4421 and the rarely used shunter Hunslet “Courage” operating on guard’s van rides in the station yard. I think I am right in saying 5 prewar diesels running at one event, the Middleton Railway is probably the only railway that can do this.

I took the first trip up the line to Park Halt, which was top and tail with Kerr Stuart 4221 and Hunslet 1697 “John Alcock”, returning to Moor Road and then on to Balm Road and back to Moor Road again. I spend the next few trips walking around to Balm Road for the various locomotive combinations operating. My last trip was the full length of the line again up to Park Halt. The weather was incredibly hot and a great day was had. A big well done to the Middleton Railway for putting on another fantastic event.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The Middleton Railway, Leeds, Diesel Event. Saturday 10th June 2023.

The Middleton Railway was celebrating 90 years plus of the diesel over the weekend. It is a railway I enjoy visiting, a very friendly railway, with an excellent collection of rarities, albeit one of our smaller preserved railways, but also our oldest and I always find something of interest there.

After a drive over the hill, my first port of call was Midland Road Freightliner diesel depot, sadly a couple of new buildings have been erected against the fencing on Midland Road itself, which has restricted photography quite significantly.

After taking what photographs I could around Midland Road depot, I drove over to the Middleton railway, which is only five minutes away, and I was in the car park for 09.30 and it was already filling up with punters. The event opened at 10.00. I was first in the ticket queue, £10 for a day rover, not bad value. I had a brew and sandwich in the café and a look around the second-hand book stalls and was surprised to find an excellent copy of the David and Charles Series Monographs, Midland Compounds, from 1965, one of the rarer ones to find and they were only asking for a donation, so I paid a fiver.

Locomotives running were Hudswell Clarke D631 “Carroll”, (Saturday only), Hudswell Clarke D577 “Mary”, Hunslet 1697 John Alcock”, Kerr Stuart KS4421 and the rarely used shunter Hunslet “Courage” operating on guard’s van rides in the station yard. I think I am right in saying 5 prewar diesels running at one event, the Middleton Railway is probably the only railway that can do this.

I took the first trip up the line to Park Halt, which was top and tail with Kerr Stuart 4221 and Hunslet 1697 “John Alcock”, returning to Moor Road and then on to Balm Road and back to Moor Road again. I spend the next few trips walking around to Balm Road for the various locomotive combinations operating. My last trip was the full length of the line again up to Park Halt. The weather was incredibly hot and a great day was had. A big well done to the Middleton Railway for putting on another fantastic event.

Yesterday was my wedding day so don't I know about the heat!

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Small Engine Weekend. Sunday 11th June 2023.

On home ground, a quick Sunday afternoon visit to what was out and as you would expect from the East Lancs, quite a selection of small engines was working both steam and diesel. My usual Sunday route involves gym in the morning, meal at the local pub at 12.00 and then a ride up to the East Lancs to check out the bookshops, so the bonus this Sunday was the small engines event.

Locomotives that I saw operating, bearing in mind I only stayed around Bolton Street station, Bury. These included, Steam, MSC Hudswell Clarke No.680 Class 0-6-0T Built in 1903, 32 “Gothenburg”, better known as Thomas, 0-4-0 L&Y Pug 19, numbered 11243, 0-6-0 L&Y 752, numbered 51456, 0-4-0 Sentinel Works 7232, “Ann”, 0-6-0 ‘Jinty' 47298. Diesel, 0-6-0 D4002 “Arundel Castle”, Class 03, D2062, Class 08, 08164 “Prudence”, Class 08, 08479, Class 08, Class 09, 09024, Class 14 “Ernest”, and Cockerill Steam Tram Type IV Number 8 ‘Lucie, which I didn’t see'.

Thanks again for a great gala to all involved on the East Lancs Railway.

shredder1

Established Member
Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, 60th Anniversary Event. Saturday 17th June 2023.

I had a choice of three events over the weekend, the Tanfield Railway was hosting Legends of Industry, an amazing gala, and that would have been my first choice, Id found a nice hotel in Gateshead, but the rail fare was ridicules for the one day, another choice was, Tyseley who were running 3 GWR Castles and the third choice was the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway who were hosting their 60th Anniversary. I opted for the latter.

On driving down towards Manchester at around 04.30, I saw some immense black smoke clouds coming from the east Manchester direction and I had just managed to drive through, before the police apparently closed all the nearby roads. It was two large industrial buildings that had caught fire and it could be seen from miles around.

I thought I would have an early start, although I did not really need to. I was on the 05.07 London Euston Pendolino to Crewe, and luckily caught up with a class 66 and a class 68 which had both stopped in the station to change drivers. My next train was a TfW Sprinter to Shrewsbury and then a class 158 Sprinter to Welshpool. It is such a shame what they did with Welshpool Railway station, but fortunately the grand and majestic station buildings remain, albeit preserved as a restaurant of sorts, although a new bypass occupies the tracks that one ran though the platforms.

I took breakfast in the town, sadly reduced to a Greggs, as I couldn’t find anything else open. The town does however have two guitar shops, not that they were open at that time. After breakfast I walked up to the narrow-gauge railway station to access the anniversary gala. I arrived around 09.15 but was surprised to find everything locked up. The site at Raven Square however opened at around 09.30. I purchased a rover ticket for £25, but there seemed to be come confusion about the first train up to Llanfair Caereinion, which was the operation centre and where all the activities were taking place. I visited the display sheds at Raven Square, which held “The Monarch,” “Dougal,” “Countess” and “Joan” and the red-liveried Japanese-built DL-34 diesel locomotive built for Taiwan’s Alishan Forest Railway to transport massive cypress logs 86 kilometres from the country’s central mountains to the city of Chiayi.

The first train to arrive into Raven Square was a diesel on a demonstration freight train, Drewry number 7, this was to be followed by a jazz train, which did not leave until 13.00 and had an additional cost of £7, in fact the first train I could catch was 14.00, so someone had messed up big time with the timetable. Fortunately, the station master offered to either give me my money back or run me up, in his car, to Llanfair Caereinion, I opted for the latter of course, which was very good of him and saved my day.

There was certainly plenty going on at Llanfair, with two locos in steam, one was Franco Bilge 0-8-0 699.01 “Sir Drefauld” after undergoing its major rebuild, and operating the jazz train. The other locomotive was Beyer Peacock, 0-6-0, 822 “The Earl”. After spending £35 in the bookshop and visiting the museum, I caught the latter at 11.25, down the line to Cyfronydd, where the Drewry number 7 crossed us returning to Llanfair Caereinion. After “The Early,” ran around her train, we returned to Llanfair Caereinion and after a 30-minute turn around I caught “The Earl”, back down the line to Welshpool. I did have time to have another return journey, but decided I had done everything I wanted to do for the day. As we arrived into Welshpool, diesel shunter Diema number 17 (175), also followed us into the station. It had been a good visit and turned out fine after all.

I walked back down the hill through Welshpool, it had been a very hot day, despite a spell of rain in the morning when I first arrived. I called in at a chip-shop for a bottle of water to cool me down, but my card wouldn’t work on the guy’s machine and I didn’t have any cash on me, when suddenly, a Ugandan lad from Kampala bought it for me out of the blue, what a lovely thing to do for a stranger.

I made my way back to the mainline railway station at Welshpool and only had a 5-minute wait for a train back into Shrewsbury and a 30-minute wait for a Manchester train, both were TfW class 158 Sprinters. About half way through the journey home, a lad came around with a trolley service, so I bought a coffee, a bottle of water and a bag of crisps from him, I had however forgotten about my card at the chippy and his card machine wouldn’t take my card either, yet Id been using it all day, not sure what had gone wrong, but he was a lovely chap and said don’t worry about it, my treat, it was just over £5, so that was too lovely people I had met on the way home, but I felt uncomfortable about this one, as these guys on the trolley services only earn minimum wage, he told me he had a 15-minute turn around at Manchester Piccadilly, but told me not to worry about it, I did however manage to get through the barriers, use the card machine in the station, which worked for me first time, and I then caught up with him and shoved a tenner in his hands, saying thats my treat, lovely chap. I then drove home and was back in the house for 18.00, a great day out.

Last edited:

railfan99

Established Member
I made my way back to the mainline railway station at Welshpool and only had a 5-minute wait for a train back into Shrewsbury and a 30-minute wait for a Manchester train, both were TfW class 158 Sprinters. About half way through the journey home, a lad came around with a trolley service, so I bought a coffee, a bottle of water and a bag of crisps from him, I had however forgotten about my card at the chippy and his card machine wouldn’t take my card either, yet Id been using it all day, not sure what had gone wrong, but he was a lovely chap and said don’t worry about it, my treat, it was just over £5, so that was too lovely people I had met on the way home, but I felt uncomfortable about this one, as these guys on the trolley services only earn minimum wage, he told me he had a 15-minute turn around at Manchester Piccadilly, but told me not to worry about it, I did however manage to get through the barriers, use the card machine in the station, which worked for me first time, and I then caught up with him and shoved a tenner in his hands, saying that my treat, lovely chap. I then drove home and was back in the house for 18.00, a great day out.

Heartwarming. Well done.

shredder1

Established Member
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, Diesel Gala. Saturday 24th June 2023.

I was back on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway again this weekend, for the diesel gala. A 07.00 am start, using my car this time, I picked up my mate One Manc and we drove over to Haworth via Hollingworth Lake, Cragg Vale and Hebden Bridge. The shed visit was the first stop with three 37s on shed, class 37s dominated the scene on the Saturday.

Locomotives operating on Saturday, Class 47 47712 in Scotrail blue stripe livery, Class 37`s 37401 and 37403 both in Scottish livery corporate blue with Scottie dog logo. HST pair class 43s in Rail Adventure livery, Class 20 20031 in two tone grey livery, class 37 37075 in grey livery and British Railways prototype diesel electric shunter D0226 Vulcan

After taking breakfast in the Buffet Car Café opposite Haworth railway station. We then drove down to Keighley. A strange thing happened on the way over, a car was backing out on the main road, so I sounded my horn to warn them, the next thing I knew was this kid was up my back end following me and he blasted his horn, so I pulled in at the side of the road, and jumped out, and this potential road rage jockey just sped off up the road, crazy kids.

We headed for Keighley trackside photographing all the arrivals and departures along with the shunting in the yard, from various locations to the top of the incline. After a few hours at Keighley, we drove up to Ingrow West and a visit to the museum bookshop, I managed to spend £29 this visit, but this included a £4.00 of the rare David and Charles Monograph, “Stirling Singles of the Great Northern Railway”, a book I had been looking
a few years now.

Our next move was to drive up to Oakworth, home of the railway children. Taking in various locations and photographs from the Incline out of Damens Junction cross over to the tunnel and viaduct at Mytholmes. From Oakworth we drove up to the top of the lines at Oxenhope, a visit to the museum and shop, tea in the station café and a few photographs of the arrivals and departures.

xotGD

Established Member
Some great photos there.

You must be the Ingrow bookshops number one customer!

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway Summer Diesel Gala. Saturday 1st July 2023.
Also Sunday 2nd July 2023.

Back on home ground, The East Lancashire Railway diesel gala, and the highlight for many was the Warships, the only two that made it into preservation. Id planned to go with One Manc, but he`d been attacked my bees and his leg was badly swollen. He is a bee keeping at a local farm, and they found a leak in his suit, and basically attacked him, he is however recovering now though and should be out again next weekend.

Locos rostered locomotives on the Saturday included, Warship class 42 D821 Greyhound and D832 Onslaught, Class 20 20305, Class 37s, 37059 and 37109, Class 25 25279, Class 45 45108, Class 33 33109, and Class 50 50015 Valiant.

Quite a change in the weather as I drove up to Bury, initially spending a few hours on Bolton Street station between the light showers. Nice to catch the Co-Bo being shunted into a display platform by the Class 50, the two Warships were also moving around the station. I didn’t ride the trains, but spent £40 on books, so put something back into the railway. A full English breakfast in a local Bury café set me up for the day.

I next drove up to Ramsbottom to catch the passing action, I stayed on the station platforms as things were still a bit damp and showery at times. My final move was Burrs Country Park, photographing from both the station and bank for the double headed Warships and later the double headed Class 37s.

I returned to the East Lancs Railway the day after the gala and was surprised to see they still had many locos rostered, on what was essentially a non-event day, although I didn’t arrive until after lunch, the two class 37s had been double heading, I caught up with the Hymek and the 3F Jinty which were also out. The two Warships again did a double-headed run, which I photographed at Irwell Vale.

Nice to catch up with a few friends, the East Lancs is never a let-down, another amazing gala, so many unsung heroes put these evets together and run them, some amazing work behind the scene with is very much appreciated, a big well-done guy and thank you for another excellent gala.