• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StripeyNick

Great trip report. I clocked you in the cafe whilst I was waiting for my lunch

It's a great little line, especially when it's a gala as there's always something going on. As with many places, we've lost quite a few photo spots to vegetation over the years. At least the veg from the usual bank has been cleared a bit since my last visit about 3 months ago

shredder1

Established Member
Great trip report. I clocked you in the cafe whilst I was waiting for my lunch

It's a great little line, especially when it's a gala as there's always something going on. As with many places, we've lost quite a few photo spots to vegetation over the years. At least the veg from the usual bank has been cleared a bit since my last visit about 3 months ago
Ah thank you very much, yes the railway has so much history, I do enjoy visiting, a very friendly and welcoming set of lads.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, Autumn Diesel Gala. Saturday 16th September 2023.

Back on home ground this Saturday, the other choices were the Severn Valley Steam Gala, or the first gala for a few years, a diesel gala at the Llangollen Railway, but the good old East Lancs won over this time.

A bit of a lie in this Saturday saw me in bed until 07.00, which is very late for me, so I must have needed the sleep. After an Egg Benedict breakfast at the Wetherspoons in Middleton, my nearest town, I was soon driving back through my village and heading north up the M66 Motorway to Ramsbottom Sidings to phot a pair of class 37s, double-headed up to Rawtenstall.

My next move was to drive down to Burrs Country Park where I left the car. I caught up with one of the returning class 37s and caught it to Bury Knowsley Street to check out all the stalls and have the usual rummage and spending a few quid in the process. Lunch in the “haunted” buffet in the form of a pie and coffee, and later returning to Burrs Country Park to visit various lineside locations to capture the afternoons movements.

The star of the show for me was visiting class 56301 also visiting was class 37 D6851 in BR green livery. Other locos on the roster were class 45 108 in corporate blue, 47765 in Scotrail blue stripe livery, Warship 832 in corporate blue, Class 40 40012 in corporate blue livery and D345 in BR green livery, Hymek D7076 in BR corporate blue livery, Class 33 D6525 in grey livery, class 37 109 in sector grey livery, and class 50 015 in BR blue large logo. One working had the magnificent display of parcel vans from the 3P20 group, what an amazing job the team have done with these vehicles. An outstanding collection of traction for a diesel gala anywhere. I’m so lucky to have a railway like this on my doorstep.

A big well done to the East Lancs Railway and all the staff that work tirelessly putting these events together, thank you.

Footnote, I visited again, in my quest for rare railway books, Sunday 17th September, and the railway had an unofficial diesel gala operating, both class 40`s were out top and tail, the visiting class 37 and the class 50, possibly others too, with the Jinty on the Diner. Its always worth checking out the East Lancs Railway even on non-gala days, literally anything can turn up.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
York including the NRM. Saturday 23rd September 2023.

I was looking for a straight forward run out this Saturday, as I’m off over the Arctic Circle in the week. There were no local events happening, so I opted for a train ride out to York. My main purpose was to catch up with the Transpennine Cats, which are now an endangered species, presently restricted to York and Scarborough workings. York usually has a few surprises, and with the NRM, it is still a great rail centre.

A drive to my nearest Metrolink station at Crumpsall saw me on an early tram to Manchester Victoria and I nicely timed a Nova 1 class 802 series IET, taking the Calder Valley line to Brighouse, then Dewsbury, and Leeds. I arrived into York for around 09.00. Class 37 401 “Mary Queen of Scots” in Scottie livery, was parked in the south sidings, TPX class 68028 “Lord President”, was parked behind its set, in platform 1, TPX class 68023 “Achilles”, came in on a Scarborough-York working. The highlight of the day for me was the Steam Dreams rail tours which arrived from the south behind 46100 “Royal Scot” tailed by Class 47 47593 “Galloway Princess”, also in Scottie livery.

After a few hours on the railway station, I visited the National Railway Museum, work is presently being done on the building which includes a new roof on the station hall, the south yard was also closed on my visit. I’m always fascinated by railway museums and try to visit them on all my travels.

I returned to York`s main railway station, spent another few hours on the platforms and left around 16.00, on another IET Transpennine class 802 service, which was terminating at Manchester Victoria. I then walked up the road to Manchester`s Hard Rock Café, for a spot of tea, before returning home. Another great day out and about.

shredder1

Established Member
Llangollen Railway Diesel Railcar Gala. Saturday 9th October 2023.

It’s so nice to see the Llangollen Railway back in the driving seat after the issues it had, this was the second gala the railway had ran since then, the first was a diesel gala in September which unfortunately clashed with the East Lancs, so I missed it, it was however nice to attend this one.

I drove down to Llangollen; it only takes me around an hour and half from North Manchester and it’s a pleasant enough drive once you leave the Motorways. I left Manchester at around 07.00 and arrived into Llangollen for 08.30, the first train out was at 09.30, but Llangollen`s station café didn’t open until 09.00 I was told, so I had to spend money across the road at the expensive Finley`s, but they do serve an excellent full English, or maybe they call it a full Welsh.

I spent a pleasant day riding up and down the railway and alighting at various stations on all the different railcar which were operating, a total of four altogether. Railcars operating were, Birmingham RC and W class 104 50454/50528, Derby class 108, 51933/54504, Derby class 127 51618/56223 and Wickham class 109 50416/56171.

My second visit to the new station at Corwen, they have done such an amazing job, the second side of the new platform however has not been passed for passenger use yet, so we only had one diesel railcar at a time working into the station. Other developments were the new mini bar, and significant tidying up of the old bric-a-brac coach at Glyndyfrdwy, another first-class job.

Overall, an excellent gala and a big well done to all involved at the Llangollen Railway

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway Autumn Steam Gala. Saturday Sunday 14th & 15th October 2023.

This weekend I was back on the good old East Lancs Railway and its never a disappointment. Each gala is different and unique, always a few new ideas being tried out, different operations and movements and of course a selection of visiting locomotives.

Locomotives operating

Visiting locomotives:
2-8-0 LMS 8F 48305 (courtesy of Great Central Railway)
4-6-0 LMS ‘Jubilee’ 45690 “Leander” (courtesy of Jubilee Locomotive Company)

Home Fleet:
0-4-0 L&Y Pug 19, numbered 11243
0-6-0 L&Y 752, numbered 51456
0-6-0 Hudswell Clarke 32 “Gothenburg” now carrying a matt black livery
0-6-0 ‘Jinty’ 47298
4-6-2 SR 34072 “257 Squadron” (On loan from Spa Valley Railway / Southern Locomotives Ltd)
4-6-2 SR 34092 “City of Wells”

I was out on both the Saturday and Sunday, mainly station and line side photography from various locations. The highlight for many of us was the pairing of the two Bulleid’s, in classic Somerset and Dorset fashion, it really did put icing on the cake, albeit I was at Burrs as they passed and the sun was uncooperative. Sunday was the better day, although colder, we were blessed with more sunshine.

A nice touch at the gala was the effort made to cordon off a large path into the sidings at Ramsbottom for the benefit of photographers, this was free, but I think maybe a charge of say £5 a head might have been appropriate, although I did spend money on books, drinks, and meals, so felt that I did put something back for not riding. It was lovely to catch up with some old friends and meet a few new ones.

I suppose we also tend to forget all the hard work that goes into running these events, so much work done behind the scenes by the organisers, and the work done on the day, the drivers, guards, signalmen, platform and catering staff, these people start work before we arrive and are still working after we leave, with the vast majority being volunteers, yet operating to professional standards, mere words are not enough to thank these people for the marvellous work they do, but a big thank you all the same.

shredder1

Established Member
Mersey Rail including Headbolt Lane. 21st October 2023.

Since I have been watching the new development of Merseyrails, Headbolt Lane, the first opportunity I got, I had to go and check it out. Why they chose to call it Headbolt Lane is beyond me, why not call it something like Kirby East, or at least somewhere that people had heard of.

I had a spare weekend, event wise, so drove down to my nearest Metrolink station and caught a tram into Manchester Victoria, who were running direct services to Headbolt Lane as part of the Blackburn service. I however, caught a train prior to the Headbolt Lane service, for a change at Wigan Wallgate.
Down on platform 5 at Manchester Victoria and I was intime to get a photograph of a Drax behind GB Rail freight class 60087 travelling west bound. I arrived into Headbolt Lane before 09.00. It was great to see this new development. After a few photographs around the station. I travelled down to Kirkby, to photograph the changes and through platform development.

I later took a ride to Kirkdale and then Liverpool Central for breakfast. I returned to Liverpool Central and caught a train out to Southport. All new class 777 units appear to be being delivered, or at least stored in the sidings until they enter service. 777023 and 024 appeared to be recent deliveries.

After a walk along the front at Southport, I must say it does appear to be run down to what I remember of the place from family holidays with Mum and Dad dating back to the 1950s. We would arrive into Southport Chapel Street behind a pair of Black 5`s or maybe a Crab and a Jub and I would get a view of the locomotive depot on the way past, Southport was quite a rail centre back then.

I returned to Southport railway station and caught a train back into Liverpool Central, with a change for a train back to Headbolt Lane, but my Manchester connection was cancelled which meant waiting over an hour for the next service at 17.48. I arrived back into Manchester Victoria by around 19.00 and then a tram back to Crumpsall and the short drive home. The new class 777 are presently on revenue services on the Kirkby and Ormskirk lines at present. A good day out.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You did more on Merseyrail yesterday than I did today! I'll have a trip report up tomorrow, I've typed it but not proof-read it yet. A job for after breakfast!

I might be one of the only people who don't get all the fuss over the name of Headbolt Lane, it's just a name after all! Kirkby East wouldn't sound right to me, and from what I saw of the place there's plenty of residential development going on. So it probably won't matter soon!

shredder1

Established Member
You did more on Merseyrail yesterday than I did today! I'll have a trip report up tomorrow, I've typed it but not proof-read it yet. A job for after breakfast!

I might be one of the only people who don't get all the fuss over the name of Headbolt Lane, it's just a name after all! Kirkby East wouldn't sound right to me, and from what I saw of the place there's plenty of residential development going on. So it probably won't matter soon!
Fancy that, lol look forward to reading your report Tech. They could have called it Kirkby General, because generally it looks better than the other Kirkby station. :)

shredder1

Established Member
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. Railcar running weekend. Saturday 28th October 2023.

The end of the season with not many events taking place, apart from Halloween events. The Battlefield line was running a diesel gala, but I didn’t really fancy the drive down to Leicestershire and public transport meant a train to Leicester and then a long bus ride out to the railway. The Worth Valley however had a diesel railcar running day, only a short drive over the Pennines for me and they have an amazing bookshop at Ingrow, so that was my destination.

The roster included, M51189 AEC 52, Sc51803 Leyland 680/17 Metropolitan-Cammell Diesel Multiple Unit Class 101 returning to service in its new livery corporate blue, with full yellow ends. M79964 Waggon & Maschinenbau Diesel Railbus will be in service for the first time since March, Pacer class 144011 was in service in its unique WY Metro livery. Pacer class 143625; highly likely to be its only run in passenger service. 143625 ran in multi with 144011 and Riddles standard class 2 steam locomotive, BR Standard 78022 in BR green livery.

Leaving home by around 07.30 and putting £40 worth of petrol in the car, I drove over the hill, via Milnrow, Hollingworth Lake, Blackstone Edge, Cragg Vale, Hedden Bridge and Oxenhope Moor, directly into Haworth for the early morning shed photographs from the bridge, followed by a couple of sausage and egg baps from the Buffet Car café facing the railway station. I then drove down to Ingrow West for the first train to Keighley which was the Waggon & Maschinenbau Diesel Railbus and it was packed and running late. I left the train at Keighley to access the far platform for photographs, but as I returned by the underpass, it was leaving, after a quick turnaround, so I missed it, it was only doing a shuttle service up to Ingrow however, so soon returned.
As the railbus arrived back into Keighley it was even more rammed than before with standing room only, in fact I only just managed to get a standing place as quite a few people were left on the platform. It was traversing the full line this time up to Oxenhope. I however alighted at Ingrow for my visit to the bookshop, where I spent £50 on books, I always seem to find a few books I haven’t read.

My next move was to take the car up to Oakham and catch the next train to Howarth, this time it was the Metropolitan-Cammell Diesel Multiple Unit Class 101, which I took as far as Howarth for a visit to the bookshop and a wonder around the depot. Id managed to get a good photograph of the Riddles arriving into Oakham and was now waiting for its second run of the day north of Howarth, plus a few photographs of the class 101 shuttling between Howarth and Oxenhope.

I returned to Howarth railway station and caught the retuning Riddles back down the line to Oakham and visited a few of my favourite lineside locations towards the loop and up on the viaducts to photograph the Riddles again. I walked back to the railway station at Oakham, had a hot chocolate and Flapjack from the cafe and picked the car up and drove to Oxenhope to finish the day off and try a baked potato in the station buffet car. I must admit to being surprised at how much interest was shown for the preserved Pacers, and admit to not really being a big fan. I also met up with a lot of friends on the day.

I left the railway by around 17.00 after an excellent good day, I big well done and thanks to the Worth Valley Railway and all the very friendly and helpful staff, I realise this was a first for a railcar running day, but it was as good as any event, so thank you for a great day, until next time guys.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I didn't know they had a 143 up there, interesting. I'd imagine that it looked quite interesting to see a 143 and 144 paired up, OK yes they're similar in shape but still an unusual match-up.

shredder1

Established Member
West Midland Day Tripper. Saturday 4th November 2023.

I was back on the early starts with the alarm set for 03.30 and the drive into Manchester for the 05.11 Cross Country Voyager service down to Wolverhampton, catching some sleep on the way down. The purpose of the trip was to try out the new West Midland Metro extension into Wolverhampton Railway Station, while I also need some of the new class 196 DMUs, one class 170 (004) and two class 168`s, so a bit of rail interest, while I also like traveling in the region. I also wanted to see “Ozzy the Bull” inside New Street station, a tribute to Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath.

My train arrived into a wet Wolverhampton just before 07.30, purchased a West Midlands Day Tripper ticket for trains and trams, £7, incredible value. The new tram station is just outside the railway station, so I jumped on a tram for new tram track. The first tram stop after the railway station is called “Pipers Row,” which is actually the stop at the bus station, maybe calling it Wolverhampton Bus Station was too revolutionary an idea, I’m sure all the visiting students from overseas will recognise, “Pipers Row” as the bus station stop.

I stayed on the tram all the way into Birmingham New Street, I do like this tram line as most of it uses the former GWR main line north of Birmingham, that once went all the way up to Birkenhead Woodside. Arriving into the New Street stop, or is it Grand Central, but it was time for breakfast and it was turning out to be a very wet day. Breakfast was at Tim Hortons, slightly better junk food that McDonalds.

Sadly, Birmingham lost its Hard Rock café which closed back in 2007, and it also lost its Ian Allan bookshop, but at least Birmingham still has 3 major railway stations to go at, a PMT music store, an expanding tram network and the pending HS2 and the new Curzon Street station development.

After breakfast I crossed the road and into New Street station, I was hunting class 196 and found two in the platforms on a Hereford working. I jumped back on a tram up to Snowhill. The rain was coming down heavier as I reached the platforms and there didn’t appear to be any of the new class 196 DMUs operating. I went through the tunnels to Moor Street, two class 168s on the platforms, but not mine, nor any Chiltern class 68 locos present.

My next move was to catch a train down to Stourbridge Junction, the end of the Day Tripper ticket zone, an extra £2.30 bought me a return to Kidderminster for a quick visit to the Severn Valley Railway and a look around the bookshop. I found two books I didn’t have for £10, reduced price and as luck as it, a class 08 shunter had pulled in a Peak 182, and the Clayton D8568, both in blue liveries, into the platforms, while ex GWR Pannier Tank class 5700, 7714, 0-6-0PT arrived with her train. I took lunch in the museum café, A piping hot bowl of Chilli with a few slices of bread and a filter coffee, just over a fiver and better than the chip shop across the road.

I returned to Kidderminster main line railway station and took a WM class 172 through to Dorridge. On passing by Tyseley, I notice the depot was full of class 196s, which would explain why I had only seen two so far and I was lucky as I arrived into Dorridge, in that a few minutes after arriving a Chiltern class 68 015, carrying the name of “Kev Helmer”, a Moor Street driver who passed away during Covid with complications, a nice gesture. I caught the class 68 back into Moor Street.

From Moor Street, I caught another WM class 172 to Hawthorns and changed for a tram back up to Wolverhampton, and then caught the next Cross Country Voyager back to Manchester Piccadilly and hit an horrendous traffic jam trying to drive out of the city, but I eventually made it home. A wet day, but a great one all the same and with some atmospheric photographs taken too.

shredder1

Established Member
Blackpool. Saturday 11th November 2023.

On checking my events calendars I noted a charter working from the Midlands to Blackpool, so decided to go out for it. I didn’t need too early a start and after driving down to the Metrolink tram station at Crumpsall, I was soon boarding a Wigan Wallgate Northern Sprinter class 150 just after 08.00.

Not much luck at Wigan Wallgate, first the toilets were closed, then the lift wasn’t working, then the ticket barriers wouldn’t let me out, so the guy on the barriers asked me to take by pass out of its wallet while he scanned it, but he couldn’t get a signal or something, so just let me out of the barriers anyway.
I walked over the road to Wigan Northwestern and was just in time for an Avanta Pendolino to Preston, then with a change for a Northern class 331 into Blackpool North. Since I hadn’t taken breakfast by that time, I made my way to “Layton Rakes”, Wetherspoons for a full English, which are over £9 now, but still, it filled a gap.

I had a few hours before the charter arrived, so decided on a bit of tram bashing and to see if any heritage trams were operating, especially since the Illuminations were on. I caught one of the modern trams up to Fleetwood. An all-day tram and bus ticket costs just £6, which is amazing for 7 miles of tramline to explore. Sadly, the branch up to the North Railway station is about 3 years behind schedule now and is apparently, presently awaiting work behind done on the hotel it passes. I also managed to catch up with a heritage Balloon tram trundling up the seafront

I returned from Fleetwood to North Pier and walked back up to hill to Blackpool North Station and positioned myself at the end of the platform and waited for the charter to arrive. She was only a few minutes late arriving with large logo corporate blue liveried class 37 418 “An Comunn Gaidhealach” with rear loco 47, D1755 in two-tone green, also carrying its TOPs number on one side of 47773.
Blackpool North railway station had one of the worst reputations for the way it was towards customers and enthusiasts, but these days the old staff with the poor attitudes, especially “little fat Scottish balding twit,” seem to have been replaced by extremely pleasant people, who are now very welcoming and friendly.

I met quite a few friends from the Czech trips, who were on the charter, so it was nice to briefly catch up. The charter then returned to Preston and swopped ends with locomotives, with the class 37 leading from the front once it returned to Blackpool. It was returning in the evening, so those on the tour were free to spend time in Blackpool and at the Illuminations. I caught a class 319 to Poulton-Le-Flyde to obtain a few photographs of the charter returning to Preston, and then I travelled back to Blackpool North.

I returned to the Trams from North Pier, and caught a tram down to the southern terminus at Starr Gate, returning north again to Bispham in readiness for the illuminations being turned on at 17.00. I must admit Blackpool Council do an amazing job with the Illuminations, which bring a lot of additional tourism into the Town, because of the lights. I caught up with two more Balloon trams working on heritage services, before walking back to Blackpool North and catching up with the charter as it sat on the platforms. I took some more photographs in the darkness before heading for a Northern class 331 direct to Manchester Airport at 18.00.

All was well until the train arrived at Preston, when apparently the guard to take it forward was caught up on a late running train, which resulted in us being stuck at Preston for nearly an hour. The train was eventually terminated at Manchester Piccadilly, missing quite a few stations out in the process, but these things happen.

Over all a great day out and nice to catch up with a few friends, some of whom I will be meeting up with for the next Czech tour in February next year.

xotGD

Established Member
Nice shot of the 37 with the illuminated tower in the background.

Certainly no mistaking the location!

railfan99

Established Member
Blackpool. Saturday 11th November 2023.
...but these days the old staff with the poor attitudes, especially “little fat Scottish balding twit,” seem to have been replaced by extremely pleasant people, who are now very welcoming and friendly...

Very descriptive, and probably apt.:D

shredder1

Established Member
Great Central Railway, Last Hurrah Gala. Saturday 18th November 2023.

It was the Great Central Railways Last Hurrah gala and it was on my hit list to attend, I had however gone down with a stinking cold on the Wednesday, but managed to sneeze my way through work for the rest of the week, so needed a break away. I was feeling better by Saturday morning, but couldn’t decide if I should drive down to Loughborough, or take it easy and take the train. Faced with a 2 hour plus Motorway drive with the usual road rage and dodgy drivers, (I’m probably one of them), I opted for the train, to take the strain.

With the alarm set for 03.30, and I was soon driving down to Manchester Piccadilly for the 05.05 Avanta Pendolino down to Crewe, with a change for an East Midlands class 170, via Derby to Beeston, but the train was 25 minutes down by the time it arrived into Derby and I had just missed an East Midland Meridian direct to Loughborough, so stayed on the class 170 until I arrived at Beeston, and waiting in the opposite platform, on arrival, was a Loughborough bound Meridian, which had left before I could cross the footbridge. The next train was a stopper to Leicester, another class 170, but this was also 15 minutes down and I eventually arrived into Loughborough just after 09.00. In retrospect, I should have gone via Sheffield and caught a Meridian direct to Loughborough, but never mind, it’s all part of the fun.

On arrival into Loughborough, a heritage bus was waiting in the station car park to take visitors to the event. Still struggling a little from the cold, I walked down to Tesco to buy some Lockets, Tunes or similar, but they had nothing in, neither did any of the local shops I passes, so I made my way to central station and settled for a hot coffee instead.

The station bookshop was the first port of call, and £40 later, (I really should avoid such places), and I was boarding a ex BR standard 5 to the bottom of the line, at Leicester North.

The event coincided with the Great Central Railways 50th Anniversary. To put things into prospective, British Railways only operated for 49 years, 1948 to 1997, and the original LNER only operated for 25 years, 1923 to 1948, just think about that for a moment. Ironically, I see the new LNER are presently running a publicity stunt claiming the LNER is celebrating 100 years, forgetting to mention that the original LNER ceased to exist after 1948, talk about trying to change history, by manipulation of a few words, but still, never let the truth stand in the way of a good story, as we journalists say.

I digress, I returned up the line to Rothley and had breakfast in the café and then took a variety of photographs from various locations around the station environment. I later travelled up the line to Quorn and Woodhouse for similar location photographs. The railway was quite busy with some excellent workings, including freight box vans and tankers. All credit to the Great Central railway for hosting some very innovative galas.

Locos and railcars rostered included, BR Derby Lightweight Railcar - 'Iris', 1903 North Eastern Railway Electric Autocar 3170, BR(W) Modified Hall 6990 "Witherslack Hall", BR Standard 9F 92214, BR Standard 5, 73156, LMS 8F 48305, BR Standard Class 2 78019, and Class 37 D6700 Built by English Electric complete with break tender.

I finally returned to Loughborough Central and when I was ready to leave, a single decker Midland Red bus was waiting to take me back to the railway station and I didn’t have long to wait for an East Midlands Meridian direct to Sheffield, with a change for a Transpenning class 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly and the short drive home.

I caught up with several friends on the trip and had a good day out, a big well done to the Great Central Railway and all responsible, A great gala to end a season as always.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway, DMU Gala. Sunday 19th November 2023.

Still feeling it a little after the cold and deciding to miss my regular gym session on a Sunday morning, instead I went up to the East Lancs Railway to catch the DMU gala. It was a dull morning, overcast turning to some heavy rain as the day wore on, but well worth making the effort. The first train to arrive in the platforms at Bury Bolton Street, was the Pacer 144 009 on the first Heywood working of the day.

The second arrival into Bury Bolton Street was 2-car Birmingham R C & W, Class 104. The event was quite novel for a DMU gala, with one service each day working over the crossing at Green Lane Heywood and traveling down to the Hopwood Ground Frame, so rare track. Some DMU drags behind the class 24 D5054, while on the Saturday class 40 and class 25 operated similar workings, making movements historically correct.

I manage to photograph the class 104 returning from Hopwood ground frame, but the weather was thrashing it down at time and I didn’t fancy walking down to the crossing at Green Lane. I next made my usual visit to my local pub for lunch and returned to the East Lancs at Ramsbottom to catch up with the class 105 Cravens, I also caught up with the Diner which had the Jinty at the helm.
Although not riding on my visit, I did manage to spend £30 on books. The weather apart, the East Lancs Railway did put on an excellent DMU event, so a big well done to all involved.

xotGD

Established Member
A Rat dragging a failed DMU. That brings back some memories...

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester To Scarborough. Saturday 25th November 2023.

With the Transpennine Nova 3, Cats, due to finish in December, I thought I’d have a ride out to Scarborough and pay my last respects. So, I decided on an early start and drive down to Manchester to catch the 05.35 Transpennine Cat from Manchester Piccadilly to Scarborough. Doing the honours was 68025 “Superb”.

An excellent run over the Pennines and on to the coast, although I must admit to nodding off at times on the journey. On arrival into Scarborough, another Nova 3 rake was sat in the platforms, behind Transpennine Cat 68024 “Centaur”.

I left the railway station and went for breakfast in the Lord Rosebery, at JD Wetherspoon that I’ve visited before, an Egg Benedict and a few hot coffees revived me, as the temperatures had dropped a bit recently. I later returned to the railway station after and was surprised to find two more Transpennine Nova 3 sat on the platforms, so 3 sets on the station in all. The two new additions were 68029 “Courageous” and 68027 “Splendid”. The former moved onto the depot and I caught the latter back into York.

On arrival at York, another Nova 3 rake was in the station with Cat 68032 “Destroyer” at the head, while Nova 3 68021 “Tireless”, ex Manchester Piccadilly, was working back to Scarborough. That was 6 Nova 3 rakes altogether. Through York station was a convoy of Freightliner class 66590, 66514 and 66520, a Northbound Colas Tanks, class 70806 and the icing on the cake was British Rail class 55 Deltic D9000 “Royal Scots Grey”, which had worked a charter up from the south on Friday and wasn’t due to leave until Sunday, so had been parked up in the postal sidings. Always a few Surprises at York and nice to learn the city will soon be getting its first Hard Rock Café.

I later returned to Leeds on a Transpennine class 185, and while I was in Leeds, I wanted to take a train out to Castleford to see how things were moving with the second platform since I visited last year. I was surprised to find it still not operational and I’m not sure what they are going to use it for anyway. I returned to Leeds and then caught another Transpennine class 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly, collected the car and drove home after a very satisfying day,

xotGD

Established Member
Good to hear you had a good time with the Cats.

And gorgeous shots of D9000 in the sunshine.

D6130

Established Member
I wanted to take a train out to Castleford to see how things were moving with the second platform since I visited last year. I was surprised to find it still not operational and I’m not sure what they are going to use it for anyway.
I believe it's going to be used about four times a day by the new TPE York-Huddersfield service from the start of the new timetable next month.