• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sign help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william

Established Member
I apologise if this thread is in the wrong section or has been asked before, but what does a white 'x' on a blue background mean?

thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nutter

It means the AWS warning you will have just recieved does not apply to you. I only know of them on branches. As the magnets are always live when a signal is on, it can't be turned off, when you pass it in the wrong direction, such as on a branch, you still get an aws warning. It's just so drivers don't get too confused

william

Established Member
Thanks nutter, That makes sense. I encountered one in a bi-di loop 'in' BVE.

O L Leigh

Established Member
It means the AWS warning you will have just recieved does not apply to you. I only know of them on branches. As the magnets are always live when a signal is on, it can't be turned off, when you pass it in the wrong direction, such as on a branch, you still get an aws warning. It's just so drivers don't get too confused

In most instances the AWS magnet would be suppressed for trains travelling in the opposite direction so that no indication sounds inside the cab. However there are locations where this is not the case, so an AWS Cancelling Board is put up 200 yards beyond the magnet so that the driver knows that the indication received does not apply to that train.

O L Leigh

TDK

Established Member
In most instances the AWS magnet would be suppressed for trains travelling in the opposite direction so that no indication sounds inside the cab. However there are locations where this is not the case, so an AWS Cancelling Board is put up 200 yards beyond the magnet so that the driver knows that the indication received does not apply to that train.

O L Leigh

They have them on the heart of wales line between Craven Arms and Sugar loaf, the yellow and black ones (for TSR or ESR's) are more common than the blue ones and these have the same ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.