• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal upgrade set to modernise Cornwall’s railway

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Maiden Newton box closed in 1988 and the section from Yeovil became No Signalman Key Token supervised by Pen Mill and a variety of traincrew-operated Tokenless block thence to Dorchester, but supervised by Pen Mill. I am not sure if that is still the situation. I have a feeling that Dorchester South has remained, and still controls Weymouth and cooperates with Pen Mill, but I am not certain.
Still NSKT. Happily the frame from Maiden Newton still exists.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Puddock

I like the installations where they have ancient block instruments sat on a desk around a computer most :lol:
I always thought Nairn in its final form was rather eccentric, with a Westcad workstation sitting next to a Tyers electric key token machine.

Nippy

Greenford, a TCB lever frame fringed with IECCs all round. Marylebone and TVSC. Latterly a small IECC was placed in the box to control the Park Royal area when the line was severed at OOC.

BS56

Just noticed two signals on signal maps for which their purpose needs to be explained. The first is at St Austall and numbered CL5855 and is on the up side of the line but is intended for down trains and has no other signal in rear of it. The second is CL5790 near black queen tunnel and is on the down side but for up trains and their another signal at the London end of Lostwithial down goods loop.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just noticed two signals on signal maps for which their purpose needs to be explained. The first is at St Austall and numbered CL5855 and is on the up side of the line but is intended for down trains and has no other signal in rear of it. The second is CL5790 near black queen tunnel and is on the down side but for up trains and their another signal at the London end of Lostwithial down goods loop.
The St Austell one looks to me like it's for trains reversing from the West. If you want to see a similar example look at BEF2217 at Virginia Water, for trains reversing from the Reading direction.

Freightmaster

Established Member
The second is CL5790 near black queen tunnel and is on the down side but for up trains
That's a fixed red 'limit of shunt' signal to enable the loco on an empty clay train
from Fowey to run round its train.

MARK

Tomnick

Established Member
And of course Worksop to Elmton and Creswell/Shirebrook and various others!

I like the installations where they have ancient block instruments sat on a desk around a computer most :lol:
For the latter, you need Harrogate!

There, though, the block instruments is for the section to the east, with the signals relating to it worked from the lever frame. The workstation controls the other end of the layout, interfacing to the mechanical bits as you'd normally expect at a fringe box (just with everything under the same roof).

Worksop is rather less unusual – there's quite a few examples of panels working AB to adjacent boxes, including the likes of Manton which work AB both ways. Worksop must be about one of the biggest, though.

BS56

The St Austell one looks to me like it's for trains reversing from the West. If you want to see a similar example look at BEF2217 at Virginia Water, for trains reversing from the Reading direction.
Surely a position light shunt signal would suffice for that task.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Surely a position light shunt signal would suffice for that task.
You're going to want to put axle counters on place either way, and once you've done that I don't imagine there's a significant difference in cost between a normal 2-aspect signal and fixed red, and a shunt signal and LOS. If you were spending a huge amount on a bespoke interlocking, and normal signals still weighed a tonne and had to be maintained from a ladder, then things might be different.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Just noticed two signals on signal maps for which their purpose needs to be explained. The first is at St Austall and numbered CL5855 and is on the up side of the line but is intended for down trains and has no other signal in rear of it. The
CL5855 allows an up train that has been terminated at St Austell to cross over to the down platform to return west.

Tomnick

Established Member
You're going to want to put axle counters on place either way, and once you've done that I don't imagine there's a significant difference in cost between a normal 2-aspect signal and fixed red, and a shunt signal and LOS. If you were spending a huge amount on a bespoke interlocking, and normal signals still weighed a tonne and had to be maintained from a ladder, then things might be different.
...and that has the advantage that it makes it slightly easier to implement Single Line Working, as a handsignaller isn't needed to control movements back to the proper line if there's a main aspect signal, where the pilotman isn't able to travel with every train.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Any idea if the signalling problems between Truro and Redruth earlier today were related to the new signalling?

Deepgreen

Established Member
It must be an impressive amount of work, they’re fitting “21 new signalling systems”… o_O
The BBC's quality is dropping all the time. I have no problem with their balance, impartiality, etc., but their grammatical (and sometimes factual) accuracy and consistency is now abysmal. It used to be said that the two British institutions that maintained high standards in this area were the BBC and the railways - both now sinking into a mire of laziness.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Any idea what days and times empty clay trains would make this move.
There's only one train a day to Fowey these days and the empties always run really early.

Here is a fairly typical run:

but it often runs even earlier:

MARK