• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller and type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendy1986

I've searched online and can't find a definitive answer so I'm asking on here for help.
I'm thinking of applying for a signaller position but I have type 1 diabetes which is insulin dependent. How will this affect my application?
As I have good control would it still affect the position in applying for?
Hope someone can help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth111278

Hi
I don't know the answer to this but my 14 yo son is type1 & I'm a conductor so I get to talk to signals staff from time to time.
I'll try to find out for you.

signallerscot

It is possible to be a signaller if you're insulin dependant as long as you work in a location with other staff. However if you become insulin dependant while working in a single manned location and a suitable position in a multi-manned location isn't available then it's very likely you'll be medically retired. This fate has happened to a couple of my former colleagues over the years and is dangling like a Sword of Damocles over another, who isn't quite insulin dependant yet, at the moment.

Whether they'd recruit someone with pre-existing insulin dependant Type 1 diabetes I don't know but in summary if you develop it while already a signaller it's not necessarily a career ender, it just means you can't work alone.

JohnFM

Call HR and find out. Anything else is hearsay.

Er . . .no, it's not! http://insynchealth.com/wp-content/...-DRIVER-MEDICAL-GUIDELINES-GORC3561-Iss-3.pdf

Annex G details the aggravating factors that clinicians must consider.

The thing is, applying for a position from a choice of many candidates would invariably mean that they would choose the most medically fit. If you have IDD it is unlikely that they would consider you.

If you are already in the role and develop a condition then that is different as the employer is duty bound to look after you as they must make reasonable adjustments to assist you.

It would be highly unusual to take on an individual knowing that they must make adjustments right from the start, especially considering that the role is safety critical.

Last edited:

TomBoyd

Er . . .no, it's not! http://insynchealth.com/wp-content/...-DRIVER-MEDICAL-GUIDELINES-GORC3561-Iss-3.pdf

Annex G details the aggravating factors that clinicians must consider.

The thing is, applying for a position from a choice of many candidates would invariably mean that they would choose the most medically fit. If you have IDD it is unlikely that they would consider you.

If you are already in the role and develop a condition then that is different as the employer is duty bound to look after you as they must make reasonable adjustments to assist you.

It would be highly unusual to take on an individual knowing that they must make adjustments right from the start, especially considering that the role is safety critical.

That's general guidance from the RSSB, not Network Rail policy.

nom de guerre

If the role is at a multi-manned location, the company wouldn't need to make any adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.