• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller at Cantley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norfolk1997

hello everyone

I recently applied for a job as a signaller outside Norwich (cantley). Can anyone give me any idea what I would be doing as the line doesn't look like it has a ton of different junctions if at all?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Not a massive amount to be honest. There is a manually operated level crossing next to the station which you will open and close but that is about it.

jimmyvonk

Lot's of tea drinking!
Average 2 trains an hour. AB box between Brundall & Reedham Jct. Couple of UWC's to deal with and swinging the gates outside the box - nice little first box!!! :)

A trip down to visit the location would be well worth your time before interview, and if you ask nice I'm sure the bobby can answer any questions you have, most will be glad of the chat.

Last edited:

Norfolk1997

Lot's of tea drinking!
Average 2 trains an hour. AB box between Brundall & Reedham Jct. Couple of UWC's to deal with and swinging the gates outside the box - nice little first box!!! :)

A trip down to visit the location would be well worth your time before interview, and if you ask nice I'm sure the bobby can answer any questions you have, most will be glad of the chat.

Are they easy to use the gates? Also what kind of signalling is it? Is it Lever or is it electronic?

jimmyvonk

Are they easy to use the gates? Also what kind of signalling is it? Is it Lever or is it electronic?

Yes, bolts out and swing em, lock em, key into the frame to release the signals.... unless it's V windy!! ;)

Box has a small mechanical lever frame, off top of my head don't think any heavy pulls. A visit would answer all.

Norfolk1997

Yes, bolts out and swing em, lock em, key into the frame to release the signals.... unless it's V windy!! ;)

Box has a small mechanical lever frame, off top of my head don't think any heavy pulls. A visit would answer all.

I've only completed the test, wouldn't it seem a bit rude going down there even though I'm nowhere near atm getting the job?

MylesHSG

I've only completed the test, wouldn't it seem a bit rude going down there even though I'm nowhere near atm getting the job?

I visited a box before I'd had an interview even, but my father was able to clear it with his manager. I do remember 10 years ago when my dad first applied, he went to have a look at where his interview was and we ended up getting a guided tour of Wembley Yard!

Norfolk1997

I visited a box before I'd had an interview even, but my father was able to clear it with his manager. I do remember 10 years ago when my dad first applied, he went to have a look at where his interview was and we ended up getting a guided tour of Wembley Yard!

Is there anyone I could contact that would be able to help me in such a way? Would it look good to Network rail if I went out my way to have a look at the place I'd be working?

dk1

Veteran Member
My second post as a young passed out signalman. Believe it or not it was an old grade B & got it as promotion from Oulton Broad North which had far more responsibility but only an A. We did have daily traffic in/out of the adjacent Sugar Factory (which does smell btw) during the 'campaign'. These finished in 88 the year I transferred to Brundall which was also a B but far more interesting.

We are told that these boxes will be abolished in 2018 but dates keep slipping every year.

TheEdge

Established Member
We are told that these boxes will be abolished in 2018 but dates keep slipping every year.

It is worth drawing attention to this. While the date has been slipping don't rely on employment in any Wherry Line box (or AB box nationally tbh) as being a long term career. They are staying open but all on a stay of execution and they will close sooner or later.

Norfolk1997

It is worth drawing attention to this. While the date has been slipping don't rely on employment in any Wherry Line box (or AB box nationally tbh) as being a long term career. They are staying open but all on a stay of execution and they will close sooner or later.

I'm aware alot of the signal boxes will be closing in the area but I'd love to work on the line even if it's for a short time
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My second post as a young passed out signalman. Believe it or not it was an old grade B & got it as promotion from Oulton Broad North which had far more responsibility but only an A. We did have daily traffic in/out of the adjacent Sugar Factory (which does smell btw) during the 'campaign'. These finished in 88 the year I transferred to Brundall which was also a B but far more interesting.

How big is the box inside?

Only downside to Cantley box is the bloke who lives down the road.

Other than that as others have said it's a small box, not much going on, we'll see what happens with the resignalling in time but, if you want to work with "the bells" before they go there are worse places!

Norfolk1997

Only downside to Cantley box is the bloke who lives down the road.

Other than that as others have said it's a small box, not much going on, we'll see what happens with the resignalling in time but, if you want to work with "the bells" before they go there are worse places!

:shock:what do you mean by that? Is he a bit of a jerk at the gates?

MylesHSG

Not sure. I mean you have nothing to lose by knocking on the door. Thats what we did 10 years ago and got a good look at Wembley Yard.

dk1

Veteran Member
How big is the box inside?

A little bit bigger than my conservatory :lol:

No, its around a 20 lever frame. Cant remember exactly. Whatever the number of the down distant is, its that plus 1 or 2. Enough room for a sink one side & armchair the other. Used to have a brick sh#thouse round the other side but nowadays has one at the top of the stairs.

Norfolk1997

A little bit bigger than my conservatory :lol:

No, its around a 20 lever frame. Cant remember exactly. Whatever the number of the down distant is, its that plus 1 or 2. Enough room for a sink one side & armchair the other. Used to have a brick sh#thouse round the other side but nowadays has one at the top of the stairs.

So how do I know a train is coming? My grandad used to say t he signal box before would ring the signal box the train is coming to or something?

Does it get lonely?

dk1

Veteran Member
So how do I know a train is coming? My grandad used to say t he signal box before would ring the signal box the train is coming to or something?

Does it get lonely?

Do you have no knowledge of signalling at all?

TomBoyd

Do you have no knowledge of signalling at all?

I hope it's not intended, but this comes off as super patronising.

I didn't have that sort of knowledge before I went to signalling school, and nor are you expected to.

Does it get lonely?

It's probably communicated by a bell code. Sort of like morse code for trains. You use devices to communicate quickly between boxes with sequences of a bell sound, and they do the same back.

Single man boxes can indeed get lonely.

Norfolk1997

I hope it's not intended, but this comes off as super patronising.

I didn't have that sort of knowledge before I went to signalling school, and nor are you expected to.

It's probably communicated by a bell code. Sort of like morse code for trains. You use devices to communicate quickly between boxes with sequences of a bell sound, and they do the same back.

Single man boxes can indeed get lonely.
I've got a idea what modern signal boxes are like but as this is a old signal box so I assume it'd be using older technology?

dk1

Veteran Member
If DK1 is right, it is a lever frame, Absolute Block, box. Very old tech.

Most defo AB both directions with semaphores apart from the down section signal & up starter which is currently a fixed distant board as fell down.

Super patronising?? I was not trying to be but was very surprised somebody applying for a signallers position said "how do I know a train is coming".

Norfolk1997

Most defo AB both directions with semaphores apart from the down section signal & up starter which is currently a fixed distant board as fell down.

Super patronising?? I was not trying to be but was very surprised somebody applying for a signallers position said "how do I know a train is coming".

I didn't find it patronising, I know what you mean though. I've got no experience I admit I'm just curious if they ring you up on the phone or they use the bell system I've read about

dk1

Veteran Member
I didn't find it patronising, I know what you mean though. I've got no experience I admit I'm just curious if they ring you up on the phone or they use the bell system I've read about

Some others on here are super sensitive mate. It's all in bell codes & unless you know it's too complicated to explain. Signalling school will do the hard stuff but try to do some homework before hand. Best of luck.

MylesHSG

I'm in the late stages of an application (awaiting medical results) of a box that doesn't have a time table, you get sent your moves by a yard supervisor via telephone, and this is a old fashioned level frame box.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I was referring to when active :lol:

Didn't read that way, I'm afraid.
I've got a idea what modern signal boxes are like but as this is a old signal box so I assume it'd be using older technology?

There is an excellent of "proper" signalling here:
http://signalbox.org/
It might be useful to read it, and books like "Red for Danger" to give you a good understanding.

Don't forget that all modern signalling is still based on the same concept as the older technology; "One in a bed"
If DK1 is right, it is a lever frame, Absolute Block, box. Very old tech.

It might be, but it still works!!
Should be the word "description" in the reply before the link, but for some reason I am not allowed to edit my posting!!

8d3

With signalling that is carried out from Rail Operating Centres, is that ETCS? Which has replaced Absolute Block signalling on a lot of lines, but AB is still in use alongside ETCS?

...or am I way off.

Status
Not open for further replies.