• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Grade 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken P

Having applied for this particular vacancy back in May of this year, and having undergone the trials, tribulations and testing required I now find myself at the age of 57 beginning a new career as a Signaller!

To say I am excited is an understatement! I commence with Network Rail on the 10th October and start signalling school in York two weeks later!

If anyone is going to York then, give me a shout!

:lol::lol::D:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Many congratulations Ken, and good luck with signalling school :)

Validation

Congratulations Ken,

I'll be starting up at York on the 10th of october for signalling school, so may see you up there!

Ken P

Congratulations!
How did you find the whole application process?

Personally speaking, there were times when I thought I had been forgotten about, as things seemed to drag on, but that said, when things happened they happened fast and efficiently.....

I was a little hesitant when I went for my assessment at Eversholt Street in London as I was the oldest candidate there by a long way - some looking like they had just come out of university, which I assumed would give them an advantage over me due to having just left a learning environment - as it turns out, I was wrong on that point!

Also, in my own opinion (and I have nothing to back this up) I believe that the lengthy process is in itself part of the process - I should imagine that there are a lot of applicants who just give up on it.....

Congrats Ken!!

I will Also be starting signalling school the same time as you, so see you there pal:D

Last edited:

Lankyline

You've just made my day Ken, there is hope for us older ones yet ! I am seriously considering a complete life change and applying for a signaller's post in Cornwall and your success has just made that decision a whole lot easier.

Many congratulations and good luck

Charl1e2

Congratulations!

Do you mind if I ask, was the process quicker once you'd passed the assessment or did it still drag after that? Ie waiting for the interview?

Ken P

Congratulations!

Do you mind if I ask, was the process quicker once you'd passed the assessment or did it still drag after that? Ie waiting for the interview?

It took a while, but I think that is really down to the individual manager...

MylesHSG

Good luck. I'm starting soon, just waiting for HR to get my medical certificate and then I can be given a start date, I'm less that half your age though!

Ken P

You've just made my day Ken, there is hope for us older ones yet ! I am seriously considering a complete life change and applying for a signaller's post in Cornwall and your success has just made that decision a whole lot easier.

Many congratulations and good luck

Go for it! They never ONCE raised my age during the whole process, never raised an eyebrow - nothing.

I guess as long as you have what they are looking for then I think that is what counts.

Oh...and if you get knocked back, stick with it. I wasn't considered for a few that I applied for, and three of them were grade 2 jobs.

Last edited:

Lankyline

Go for it! They never ONCE raised my age during the whole process, never raised an eyebrow - nothing.

I guess as long as you have what they are looking for then I think that is what counts.

Oh...and if you get knocked back, stick with it. I wasn't considered for a few that I applied for, and three of them were grade 2 jobs.

Thanks for that, in fact I have applied for a grade 2 box, the ad says Bugle but I believe its Goonbarrow junction box, just keeping my fingers crossed!

Mikeschap

Many congratulations on your appointment Ken. I'm waiting to hear if I've been successful in my
application process. I had an interview last Wednesday and still haven't heard anything. I'm hoping no news is good news. Watch this space!!

Last edited:

ItchyRsole

Well done Ken.

If you don't mind me asking. What is the salary for various Signaller grades?

Always a role I've had an interest in as I work closely with them daily as it is.

magillmagic

Well done Ken..
I'm currently 6 weeks into the training course at Basingstoke. I'm also going to be a Grade 3. All the best

Mikeschap

Yes FTC. 4 positions, HR advised could take 2-4 weeks before hearing. Generally it's a phone call for next stage or email for unsuccessful. Good luck to you Charles P.

8d3

Hey, how did you guys do with the Cardiff jobs? I wasn't successful, I'm rather disappointed but I'm going to keep looking for signaller jobs.

8d3

I got feedback yesterday. Was told that 3 people had 50 out of 50 which is rather exceptional apparently. Sorry to hear that you weren't successful.

magillmagic

I am currently coming to the end of my training, what I can say is that I am training with a guy who passed his interview at the forth attempt, another chap who got through at the third attempt and another who made it through on his second try.
So I guess what I'm trying to get across is, don't give up, these three didn't and they are now where they want to be.
The process is lengthy and frustrating, but stick with it.

SmokeAndJoe

I got feedback yesterday. Was told that 3 people had 50 out of 50 which is rather exceptional apparently. Sorry to hear that you weren't successful.
Are you referring to the assessment or interview?

If assessment, where did you take yours? I did mine on the 20th at Eversholt St.

Status
Not open for further replies.