• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller recruitment process

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbers255

Hello all. Can anybody please give me an insight to the recruitment process used for Signallers? I have passed all online testing and passed the main selection testing but keep being overlooked for posts.
I have passed all testing and the SHL process and NR HR have told me that hiring managers take the top 5 scores. What is a good score? What do the scores mean and why are NR holding candidate info and not releasing the results. SHL say NR own the tests and all results but NR staff won't tell me how I did? Any advice or experience of the process would be gratefully received. Thanks all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MylesHSG

Unfortunately it looks like you have passed, but maybe only just scraped through? In some way it would be better to fail and retake the test for another application. I applied for my first role about a year ago, did the online tests then invited to do an assessment day at Euston. Few weeks later got an interview, didn't get that role. I then applied for about half a dozen other roles and didn't get an interview, I then applied for the current post that I've just been offered and I'm waiting for a start date for Signalling school. My advice is not to give up, some of these applications take months and months so keep trying.

carbers255

Thanks. HR today stated that it was the SHL score that managers look at? I asked for my SHL breakdown but have been refused - this is what is annoying me. The SHL results stay on file for 12 months. I was told I had a "solid" score at assessment day. I won't give up, I purely think the process is very open to discretion when it should be clear cut.

MylesHSG

I was in the same boat, I tried to get my score but couldn't get it. I was curious more than anything. Worst comes to the worst you're set back a year and retake it. But if you've passed you'll have a shot at an interview. Remember because you've passed the tests, the application process takes forever as new applicants have to go through the assessment process before mangers select who to interview.

8d3

Hi, one thing I've been wondering...

If there are 4 posts advertised, do you know how many people should be short listed for interview?

Would it be 20? 5 per post?

MylesHSG

Hi, one thing I've been wondering...

If there are 4 posts advertised, do you know how many people should be short listed for interview?

Would it be 20? 5 per post?

When I interviewed for Greenford signal box there were 4 being interviewed, 3 external, 1 internal. The internal candidate got it.

Last edited:

Charl1e2

Have you been to the assessment centre for signaller tests or just done the online SHL?

carbers255

I've done the signaller assessment and passed so results valid for three years. I sat and passed the assessment just 4 weeks ago and passed all individual assessments (Fault Finding, Lift Counting, Rules Trainability and Lottery sequence numbers)

verve76

Hi, in the same boat here. Can I ask what SHL is?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry just looked it up. So the SHL is the initial SJT?

Interesting that this score is used instead of the assessment day?

Last edited:

MylesHSG

Hi, in the same boat here. Can I ask what SHL is?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry just looked it up. So the SHL is the initial SJT?

Interesting that this score is used instead of the assessment day?

Don't think it is? I think they use that to see who to invite for the assessment day and then take both scores into account when selecting for interviews

Mikesig

As far as I understand it, for each advertised job, the 8 highest scoring in the SJT get invited to the assessment centre and the 5 highest scores from the assessment centre then get an interview. If you already have an in-date SJT or assessment centre score they will use that to determine the 8 or the 5 they require.

Status
Not open for further replies.