• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller talent pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

stjimmy87

Hi all

I put in an application for a signaller job the other day and I got this message today.

"Thank you for submitting your application for the above position. I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected to complete an online assessment. You will need to complete the assessment within the next 5 days to enable us to progress your application.
The online assessment is an important part of the selection process and the results will be used as part of the next stage of the recruitment process. We recommend you complete the online assessment in a quiet environment where you will have minimal disruption and allow sufficient time.
Please note your online assessment results will be retained on file for 12 months"

Just a few questions....

Is this a standard response or have I actually done ok to even get to this stage?

Has anyone done these online assessments, any advice?

When I applied it asked me what my salary expectations were...as I have no experience of this job can someone explain the grades to me and what I am most likely to get if I do ever get a job offer? I know it seems daft when I am applying for a job like this but I am assuming this job is in a control centre somewhere and not an old style signal box? it wasn't very specific...

Cheers for any advice and info

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

That's the standard response.

The questions you'll be asked on the SHL (online) assessment are all related to the 8 Non-Technical Skills. Learn them. Love them.

What box is it? What grade? To be honest, I don't know why they asked you that question, the salary is fixed and non-negotiable!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
That's the standard response.

The questions you'll be asked on the SHL (online) assessment are all related to the 8 Non-Technical Skills. Learn them. Love them.

What box is it? What grade? To be honest, I don't know why they asked you that question, the salary is fixed and non-negotiable!

Standard application form perhaps? I remember from when I applied that was on the non-specific part of the form, where you enter name, address etc. Aimed at those applying to the office/management/other type jobs where salary is advertised as being "dependant on experience"...?

TomBoyd

Also, as far as i know, there is no Signaller Talent Pool. You get the job or you don't. They don't keep you on file. This might have changed.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Some areas do operate talent pools (not sure if Notts is one of them but I doubt it) however they're deeply unpopular at most levels. In most places TomBoyd is correct; application is for specific vacancies in the "old-fashioned" manner.

signallerscot

They did a 'talent pool' type non job specific recruitment campaign in Scotland last year. It was a total shambles and by all accounts won't be repeated.

Charl1e2

There are adverts for several talent pools around the country at the moment.

They ask for your salary expectations because they will only put you forward for boxes within the range you put.

There was a york one advertised before Christmas and now it's being advertised again.

Charl1e2

O and it could be an old style signal box or psb type box.

The York one said most vacancies we're likely to be in grades which pay 26kish- 39kish. So grade 2-7 I think. Most of the ones I see are grade 2

stjimmy87

Cool thanks for all the info.

The vacancy says Leicester (and surrounding areas). Apart from Derby where are the other Network rail locations (control rooms) within an hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.