• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller : Test Centre / Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

achy

Hi,
I have to attend one of the test centers next week. I was hoping some of the people of here could share their experiences with me on how they practiced for tests on the day. I have already printed out the signalers handbook and I go over it everyday. I feel im prepared for it but I would like to make sure Im not lacking anywhere. I would also like to ask about the interview stage, any tips and advice would be really helpful. Thank you very much!:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dan567

Hi Achy, I too have a signallers assessement next week it's on monday at square one in Manchester, I've been over the signallers hand book and in all honesty I don't feel there's any proper way to prepare for it. I think it's a case of doing your very best on the day and hoping it's good enough, I feel I'm prepared for it and understand what's expected, the day after this assessment I have a job interview for a track welder aswell.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, hope you do well and get through it ok, good luck.

Last edited:

achy

I think we have applied for the same job Dan. Have you applied for carnforth?

Marc1986

I have an assessment next week as well but in London. Does anyone know if there is an interview at this stage or is this just purely assessments/tests?

I think it used to be that the interview stage came after passing the assessment centre?

Dan567

Hi Marc, As far as i'm aware you are correct, the assessment centre is just an assessment, if you get an interview it will show as "invite to assessment 2" could be wrong as its all new to me.

Marc1986

Thanks Dan. Is anyone also aware of where the training now takes place. On old posts it looks like it's all done in Leeds. Is this still the case? Thanks

Dan567

Hi Marc, again from what I know training will take place at Leeds over a period of 9 weeks.

Maxfly

The best tip for the assessments folks is to make sure you answers questions correctly not answer them all. Pay special attention to the instructions for the lift one, this is a newer one and deepending on how is explained it can be very easy or easily confusing. Be methodical and you will be fine.

mwnl

best tip I could give is plenty of sleep night before, your brain needs to be ready as its a hard day (and will get harder if you pass).

The training will not be in Leeds as the Leeds training centre is now closed. It will most likely take place in York but could be in peterborough or Bristol. It is a 13 week course now aswell.

Good Luck!

Dan567

Thanks for that Dwaynedibleyuk good to know, i thought Leeds was still open not that it matters to me where i get sent IF i get through, not long home from the assessment and to be honest i stuggled abit with some parts and other parts i found not to bad, fingers crossed ive passed, the lady said she'll let us know tomorrow.

High Dyke

Established Member
The best tip for the assessments folks is to make sure you answers questions correctly not answer them all. Pay special attention to the instructions for the lift one, this is a newer one and deepending on how is explained it can be very easy or easily confusing. Be methodical and you will be fine.
Yes spot on. Network Rail employees applying for signalling jobs also have to do the assessment, even those staff that are already signallers and looking for promotion. Whilst you don't have loads of time to carry out each task, listen carefully, be diligent but quick with your answers and don't worry if you don't answer all the questions in the time allowed. I didn't manage all the questions last week, but still passed the assessment.

TomBoyd

I would also say don't get too worked up about it. It's a little whittling exercise. When I took it, we all passed, and it was the interview that really mattered.

If you have strong reasoning skills, verbal, numerical and abstract, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.